FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Any recent luggage fee experiences on CO for WP Elites? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/927653-any-recent-luggage-fee-experiences-co-wp-elites.html)

justhere Mar 2, 2009 3:02 pm

Any recent luggage fee experiences on CO for WP Elites?

I have an upcoming flight on CO. I purchased the ticket on 1/17/09 and at that time on continental.com it stated something to the effect that SkyTeam elites got at least 1 bag checked free.

I just checked continental.com to see if it was 1 or 2 bags and now there is no mention of SkyTeam elites getting any bags checked free.

Not sure why I did this at the time I booked the ticket, but I did print the page that said SkyTeam elites get a free allowance. I've just got to find where I put it.

Anyway, do WP Elite customers get a checked bag for free or not? And if not, is the printed web page from continental.com worth anything other than an emergency piece of Charmin?

bmw303 Mar 2, 2009 4:14 pm

For this trip, you are exempt from the bag fees.

SkyTeam Elite members who purchased their tickets in January and are SkyTeam Elite members at the time of flight *should* receive 2 free bags.

If you purchase a ticket now however and fly Continental, you will be subject to both the first and second bag fees.

justhere Mar 2, 2009 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 11348684)
For this trip, you are exempt from the bag fees.

SkyTeam Elite members who purchased their tickets in January and are SkyTeam Elite members at the time of flight *should* receive 2 free bags.

If you purchase a ticket now however and fly Continental, you will be subject to both the first and second bag fees.

Thanks for the response. Is that still printed somewhere because the printout I have and continental.com both say that for tickets purchased after Sept 6, 2008 the fees apply. It's just that my printout and continental.com have different exemptions.

motytrah Mar 2, 2009 4:32 pm

In EYW last week they waived the fees and even tagged the bags as priority. Up until about two and a half weeks ago COs web site still said ST elites were exempt. I had a print out just in case, but didn't have to go to it.

The TA did say going forward I would be paying fees.

NWA012 Mar 2, 2009 5:56 pm

If it's convenient for you, use your CO ticket to fly NW.

tinnub Mar 2, 2009 6:41 pm

I puchased a coach ticket on CO, but was upgraded to first as a NW Plat, it looks like the fee is waived. Return is on CO express with a connection to CO. Assuming upgrade on return, (not battlefield) is fee waived?

justhere Mar 2, 2009 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by NWA012 (Post 11349274)
If it's convenient for you, use your CO ticket to fly NW.

I'd love to except it's an award ticket so there's really no benefit for me to switch.

SkyGliner Mar 3, 2009 1:19 am

Flew today PHX - EWR on Coach as NWA Plat. Checked two bags and the $40 bag fee showed up when I did my bag drop. Asked an agent with a really sad face and he took the fee off by choosing the checked bags as baby stroller and something else.

When I was upgraded to 1st class last week, all 3 checked bags were free.

psychtobe Mar 3, 2009 10:07 pm

there's a long thread about this in the CO forum. With tickets purchased before Feb 11, Skyteam Elites are exempt from bag fees no matter when they fly. For tickets purchased after Feb 11, Sky Team Elites are subject to bag fees. These will be waived only if you are upgraded or buy full fare tickets.

You bought in Jan 09; you are exempt from the fee. The change at co.com was rolled out the week of Feb 6, but the website and the policy implementation didn't jibe until sometime around Feb 11. In the interim, things got really screwy. For example, we flew Feb 6 and got nailed with the fee, even though as of Feb 11 co.com said the fee only applied to tickets purchased after 2/11.

If you get hit with the fee, a simple email to CO Cares will get you in touch with a real person who can undo the fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post11357039

Kwaj boy Mar 4, 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by tinnub (Post 11349548)
I puchased a coach ticket on CO, but was upgraded to first as a NW Plat, it looks like the fee is waived. Return is on CO express with a connection to CO. Assuming upgrade on return, (not battlefield) is fee waived?

Yes the fee is waived if you get upgraded.

justhere Mar 4, 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by psychtobe (Post 11356922)
there's a long thread about this in the CO forum. With tickets purchased before Feb 11, Skyteam Elites are exempt from bag fees no matter when they fly. For tickets purchased after Feb 11, Sky Team Elites are subject to bag fees. These will be waived only if you are upgraded or buy full fare tickets.

You bought in Jan 09; you are exempt from the fee. The change at co.com was rolled out the week of Feb 6, but the website and the policy implementation didn't jibe until sometime around Feb 11. In the interim, things got really screwy. For example, we flew Feb 6 and got nailed with the fee, even though as of Feb 11 co.com said the fee only applied to tickets purchased after 2/11.

If you get hit with the fee, a simple email to CO Cares will get you in touch with a real person who can undo the fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post11357039

Great. Thanks for the info.