Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Any recent luggage fee experiences on CO for WP Elites?

Old Mar 2, 2009, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

I have an upcoming flight on CO. I purchased the ticket on 1/17/09 and at that time on continental.com it stated something to the effect that SkyTeam elites got at least 1 bag checked free.

I just checked continental.com to see if it was 1 or 2 bags and now there is no mention of SkyTeam elites getting any bags checked free.

Not sure why I did this at the time I booked the ticket, but I did print the page that said SkyTeam elites get a free allowance. I've just got to find where I put it.

Anyway, do WP Elite customers get a checked bag for free or not? And if not, is the printed web page from continental.com worth anything other than an emergency piece of Charmin?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:14 pm

For this trip, you are exempt from the bag fees.

SkyTeam Elite members who purchased their tickets in January and are SkyTeam Elite members at the time of flight *should* receive 2 free bags.

If you purchase a ticket now however and fly Continental, you will be subject to both the first and second bag fees.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bmw303
For this trip, you are exempt from the bag fees.

SkyTeam Elite members who purchased their tickets in January and are SkyTeam Elite members at the time of flight *should* receive 2 free bags.

If you purchase a ticket now however and fly Continental, you will be subject to both the first and second bag fees.
Thanks for the response. Is that still printed somewhere because the printout I have and continental.com both say that for tickets purchased after Sept 6, 2008 the fees apply. It's just that my printout and continental.com have different exemptions.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:32 pm

In EYW last week they waived the fees and even tagged the bags as priority. Up until about two and a half weeks ago COs web site still said ST elites were exempt. I had a print out just in case, but didn't have to go to it.

The TA did say going forward I would be paying fees.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
If it's convenient for you, use your CO ticket to fly NW.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:41 pm

I puchased a coach ticket on CO, but was upgraded to first as a NW Plat, it looks like the fee is waived. Return is on CO express with a connection to CO. Assuming upgrade on return, (not battlefield) is fee waived?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWA012
If it's convenient for you, use your CO ticket to fly NW.
I'd love to except it's an award ticket so there's really no benefit for me to switch.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: NW Plat; UA Premier; HH Diamond; Starwood Plat
Flew today PHX - EWR on Coach as NWA Plat. Checked two bags and the $40 bag fee showed up when I did my bag drop. Asked an agent with a really sad face and he took the fee off by choosing the checked bags as baby stroller and something else.

When I was upgraded to 1st class last week, all 3 checked bags were free.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
there's a long thread about this in the CO forum. With tickets purchased before Feb 11, Skyteam Elites are exempt from bag fees no matter when they fly. For tickets purchased after Feb 11, Sky Team Elites are subject to bag fees. These will be waived only if you are upgraded or buy full fare tickets.

You bought in Jan 09; you are exempt from the fee. The change at co.com was rolled out the week of Feb 6, but the website and the policy implementation didn't jibe until sometime around Feb 11. In the interim, things got really screwy. For example, we flew Feb 6 and got nailed with the fee, even though as of Feb 11 co.com said the fee only applied to tickets purchased after 2/11.

If you get hit with the fee, a simple email to CO Cares will get you in touch with a real person who can undo the fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post11357039

Last edited by psychtobe; Mar 3, 2009 at 10:40 pm Reason: link added
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by tinnub
I puchased a coach ticket on CO, but was upgraded to first as a NW Plat, it looks like the fee is waived. Return is on CO express with a connection to CO. Assuming upgrade on return, (not battlefield) is fee waived?
Yes the fee is waived if you get upgraded.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by psychtobe
there's a long thread about this in the CO forum. With tickets purchased before Feb 11, Skyteam Elites are exempt from bag fees no matter when they fly. For tickets purchased after Feb 11, Sky Team Elites are subject to bag fees. These will be waived only if you are upgraded or buy full fare tickets.

You bought in Jan 09; you are exempt from the fee. The change at co.com was rolled out the week of Feb 6, but the website and the policy implementation didn't jibe until sometime around Feb 11. In the interim, things got really screwy. For example, we flew Feb 6 and got nailed with the fee, even though as of Feb 11 co.com said the fee only applied to tickets purchased after 2/11.

If you get hit with the fee, a simple email to CO Cares will get you in touch with a real person who can undo the fee.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...l#post11357039
Great. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.