Wiki Posts
Search

Use the PE upgrade or risk it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA - Platinum
Use the PE upgrade or risk it?

I am traveling to Asia next week. Would you use one of the 6 confirmed PE system wide upgrades or would you risk an upgrade at the gate? Flight is on a Sunday MSP-Nartita. Return is on a Friday.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
uh, if you're on a fare that can be upgraded with one of the certs, I would definitely advise you to do it.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I don't fly TPAC, so I can't speak to upgrade chances, but I'd say if you can use the PE upgrade (ie fare class Y/B/M), go for it. A bird in the hand and all that...

(Speaking as somebody who is 0-3 on TALT "Phantom Upgrades")
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
+1 MSP-NRT is an incredibly long flight in Y. If you're eligible but don't use the UG cert for that flight, I can't imagine what you'd be saving it for....
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Do you expect to trans-pond fly more than 6 times this year? If not, the answer should be quite apparent...

Let us know if you are actually able to redeem the certificate.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Originally Posted by chwillia
I am traveling to Asia next week. Would you use one of the 6 confirmed PE system wide upgrades or would you risk an upgrade at the gate? Flight is on a Sunday MSP-Nartita. Return is on a Friday.
has anyone seen these PE SWU posted to their account yet?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by chwillia
Without a doubt, use one of the new SWUs if you have the cert and can use it. By no means are the phantom upgrades a sure thing; I didn't get one coming over to NRT and indeed it was a LONG flight in coach.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Feb 26, 2009 at 9:25 pm
Old Feb 27, 2009, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by gatechange
has anyone seen these PE SWU posted to their account yet?

Mine posted yesterday.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA - Platinum
Used outbound. LSE-MSP-NRT-TPE

Returning PVG-NRT-MSP-LSE, k class...couldn't do it.

I was pleasantly surprised that one upgrade is good from starting point to destination and not just a single leg.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:01 pm

Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Three roundtrip tickets to Far East theoretically could give you platinum status for next year (average of 20K EQM per trip, plus some domestic USA flights). So, in my eyes, use the upgrade cert for these long hauls.

I have to question why this question since we may be getting a few more SWUs from DL for the 2009 program year.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
I agree with previous posters, if you have booked into a fare that qualifies (Y,B,M) definitely use it. Otherwise you should expect nothing but coach (with the possibility of snagging an UG, but it's a long shot).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.