Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Malaysia Airlines Fuel Surcharge Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by LucWise
Are these ridiculous fuel surcharges limited to just MH? I sure hope so. I'm flying on KE soon and I hope that I will not be hit with similar surcharges.
You won't. Except for MH, I know of no other NW partners that collect this surcharge at the airport after the ticket has been issued.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:27 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by LucWise
Are these ridiculous fuel surcharges limited to just MH? I sure hope so. I'm flying on KE soon and I hope that I will not be hit with similar surcharges.
AFAIK only with MH.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
As long as we're on the topic...has anyone had luck snagging 2 business class seats with miles on the same airplane? I understand SQ often only releases one seat in C per plane for award redemption, so was just curious if MH has any similar policies?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
As long as we're on the topic...has anyone had luck snagging 2 business class seats with miles on the same airplane? I understand SQ often only releases one seat in C per plane for award redemption, so was just curious if MH has any similar policies?
I managed to piece together 2 business class tickets on MH from Phuket to Kuala Lumpur with a stopover in KL for 3 days, then KUL to NRT. I connect to Northwest back to HNL. This trip is coming up in June. I booked it last summer and recall that the NW agent told me that there were lots of openings, they just need to check that MH will release them to NW.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
ok, thanks for that NW-A332.

Just one more question. Those of you who have redeemed awards US-Asia with MH. Is your flight from home to the MH gateway typically included on NW, or are you on your own up to that point?

For instance, I would be needing to fly from ORF to either EWR or LAX to catch the MH flight. Would NW include that as part of my MH redemption, or would I have to buy a separate ticket to get me to EWR/LAX?

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

Just one more question. Those of you who have redeemed awards US-Asia with MH. Is your flight from home to the MH gateway typically included on NW, or are you on your own up to that point?

For instance, I would be needing to fly from ORF to either EWR or LAX to catch the MH flight. Would NW include that as part of my MH redemption, or would I have to buy a separate ticket to get me to EWR/LAX?

Thanks for the help!
I was able to snag two MH tix for my parents on two different occasions, so I'd say MH does release more than one C ticket at a time (by the way, the business class bucket that is booked with award seats is I. T is award coach).

Anyway, their routing was PRG-AMS (KL or OK) then AMS-KUL (MH). So, I'd say that it is possible to book a combination of MH and non-MH flights on the same award ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold

Thanks for the help!
My tickets do that exact thing. All in one ticket two of us are flying
HNL-NRT-SIN on Northwest
HKT-KUL(stopover)-NRT on MH
NRT-HNL on Northwest and the connection time in NRT is about 1.5 hours.

there doesn't seem to be a distinction in who you fly on which legs. I think all that matter is the starting city and the ending city. As long as there is a reasonable connection, they should do it all in one ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 10:50 am

Looks like MH fuel surcharges are going down. I wonder whether NW award redeemers (on MH) who are assesed surcharges will get charged less as well.
http://www.malaysiaairlinesblog.com/...fuel+surcharge

Last edited by bostonbali; Mar 10, 2009 at 7:37 pm
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:03 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Looks like MH fuel surcharges are going down. I wonder whether NW award redeemers (on MH) who are assesed surcharges will get charged less as well.
http://www.malaysiaairlinesblog.com/...fuel+surcharge
Link appears to be no good. Help?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Link works fine for me... here's what it says...

Fuel Surcharges….lower now!
February 2nd, 2009

By: Zaileen Eileena Hashim (Communications Division)

A popular question always targeted at me during dinner conversation with friends “Why are MAS fuel surcharges still so high?” After which I would explain airlines continue to pay higher because of hedging positions locked in when prices were still high. Fuel has been our biggest cost, only 30% is recovered from fuel surcharges.

Over the past few weeks I was delighted to learn that our airline has been slashing fuel surcharges on domestic and international flights by as much as 73%. The reduction and removals will help ease costs attached to travel especially during this gloomy economic outlook. And hopefully I don’t get that question shot at me again…

Here are some reductions and in some cases removals of fuel surcharge over the past few weeks:

1. Removed domestic fuel surcharge for travel in Malaysia effective, 14 January 2009.

(An enticing deal - to travel domestically on a five star airline with no fuel surcharge)

2. Effective 30 January, fuel surcharge was removed from our Singapore and Brunei flights.

3. There has been a worldwide reduction of up to 54% in fuel surcharge to/from across ASEAN.

4. By 1 February fuel surcharge on flights from China will be reduced up to USD100,

5. Flights from Australia and New Zealand reduced up to USD210

6. Flights from Middle East will see a drop of up to USD150.

7. Flights from Africa and North America will also see a reduction of up to USD160 and USD185

respectively.

I suppose what’s really important for customers is that the total sum of parts whether it’s the fares alone or fares in combination with the fuel surcharge should be competitive.

Off course there is a realization that travelers these days do not only and always make decisions based on price alone. This is where MH Value Fares allows us to be making a decision based on the occasion and circumstances of our travel. We can start making decisions based on our own travel needs.

If we want cheaper fares then more planning in advance is required as all inclusive MHlow fares offers up to 70% ticket discount. To enjoy these discounts one must book at least 21 days in advance online. Only available online these MH Low Fares are indicated in RED.

offers up to 50% ticket discount and requires 14 days advance purchase.

If you are travelling under short notice with an uncertain agenda, require more flexibility and will be carrying a lot of things with you then MHsmart offers 75% Enrich Miles and baggage allowance up to 25kg. Tickets can be bought 4 days before departure.

MHflex offers the most benefits and flexibility. Tickets for MHflex can be purchased anytime, bookings can be changed at no extra cost and customers enjoy 125% Enrich miles accrual.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: NWPLAT, HILTONDIAMOND
Surcharges haven't changed from a month ago for April flights LAX-KUL-BKK and HKT-KUL. Over $1000 for 4 of us. Won't be taking them to BKK due to this.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by airflyer
Surcharges haven't changed from a month ago for April flights LAX-KUL-BKK and HKT-KUL. Over $1000 for 4 of us. Won't be taking them to BKK due to this.
Where were you charged - at check in at LAX, or in KUL while connecting?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
MH fuel surcharge ex Japan will go down 1 April 2009, in line with other Japanese airlines.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 5:51 pm

Programs: NWPLAT, HILTONDIAMOND
So I may check again after Apr 1 and if the price is right and the seats are available I may go back on MH. And we haven't flown yet, scheduled for second week of Apr. Agents try to get me to pay the fee over the phone and I tell them I'll pay at the airport. We are currently only flying 1 short leg on MH for this trip.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by airflyer
Agents try to get me to pay the fee over the phone and I tell them I'll pay at the airport.
What agents? NWA phone agents? I have never heard of NWA asking you to pay this fee over the phone. Nor have I heard of MH agents asking for this over the phone - IF they collect this fee, it's always at the airport.
You are talking about NWA Award tickets on MH, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.