Search

Need help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: co AA ua
Need help

Hello all,

I bought my mom a ticket on NWA to come from Israel to Chicago. (KLM\Air France) on April. The ticket price was $1078.

I needed to go on an urgent surgery due to a heart condition and get a defibrilator done. I wanted to wait for the surgery for April so my mother could help me, as my wife also works and we need help with our toddler son, but my doctor told me that I am at a high risk for sudden cardiac death and waiting a month is undue risk. So I went throught the surgery. I cannot drive and my wife cannot do everything, get to work and take care of our son and in this economy, taking a medical leave is not advisible we need the money and we really need her job and her medical insurance.

I called northwest and asked to change the ticket and I was told this ticket is non changeable therefore either my mom travels on the dates or forfeit the ticket value. I asked to get them to reconsider and see if they can make an exception and I was told that there is no way anyone in Northwest could make an exception. I was really surprised. I contacted customer service and she was really nice to me but told me that there is no way anyone could help me and make an exception.

I am really surprised, due to the fact that Northwest customer service department cannot try to talk to higher level managers and have them review the proof I will provide them and see if they can make an exception. Reciting the policy is not helping. (If I need moral support I can get it somewhere else) I got the fact that I have a problem that I bought a non refundable ticket, but come on almost all major in international tickets are changeable with a penalty, this is an highly unusual policy, and I missed that at the booking.

Who can I contact in NWA\ Delta organization to get them to reconsider and make an exception. Airlines make exceptions all the time, and my story is quite unique. I would rather resolve this with the airline. I contacted Delta and spoke to them and the customer service rep did not believe that NWA is not willing to even consider it.

Any ideas what to do ? Who can I contact in NWA\ Delta to consider this case and make an exception.

Thanks in advance

Erez
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Threre are international fares sold outside of the U.S. (we've seen them sold ex-UK, I'm certain) that are totally, absolutely non-changeable even with a fee. I do not know if these also lack the typical ex-U.S. exceptions for medical reasons. Perhaps you have such a ticket. You might try finding full fare rules for your fare code with KVS or ExpertFlyer.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:12 pm

Best wishes for an expedient recovery from your procedure.

You haven't specified what you are trying to do--cancel the ticket altogether or change it to an earlier/later date?

Regardless, check your fare rules (on your receipt) to see what they specify. Being that these were disclosed to you at the time of purchase, NW has explicitly disclosed the change fees, ability to be cancelled, ability to be refunded, etc.

Also, look at it from NW's perspective: nothing has happened to your mother that would impact her ability to travel on the purchased dates. Whatever happens to change her travel plans is a moot point to them.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: co AA ua
Need help regarding NWA ticket

All I want is to pay a penalty and change travel plans for my mom to come earlier so she could help us plus fare difference if applicable.

Northwest is ridiculous they could make more money. Why on earth do they think that I would consider buying a ticket with them again or from Delta. I can give my business to American, United, BA, Lufthansa, Continental, bmi or any other airlines that flies between Israel and the US. The problem here is that they do not give the tools to their customer service reps to escalate this inquiry. They only recite the policy which I heard too many times this afternoon. The rep was very nice and really sympathethic, but she could not help me. To be honest I did not want to be in her position I made my case and plea pretty well and she was really sympathetic and really could not have been nicer.

Plus almost all international fares are changeable for a stiff fee but they are and I am willing to pay that fee. So one can understand how I missed that and did not read the fine print buried in the terms and condition section when I booked it through orbitz.

Thanks

Erez
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:52 pm

Well, I guess it comes down to this: the airline has done nothing wrong and is fulfilling its side of the contract. You're asking NW to break the clearly-defined rules to suit your specific situation--which it is in no way obligated to do. Plus, the favor that you're asking for doesn't fall within general precedent--i.e. the passenger is not the person experiencing the medical crisis.

Unfortunately, if your ticket is indeed non-changeable and non-refundable, I'd use this as a lesson learned and rebook another ticket as you see fit. It seems evident that they've taken a stand and are unwilling to change despite your circumstances. Is it the "right" thing to do in your or my mind? Debatable. But these are airline rules and they don't necessarily fall within the general realm of common sense.

Sorry.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:03 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Since you booked through Orbitz you should try to change ticket through them. They are your travel agent in this case. Try on-line, email or by calling and ask about the fare rules. They may still be non-changeable but at least you'll know from the people who sold you the ticket. Good luck with everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.