Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

CONSOLIDATED "Linking WorldPerks With Skymiles?" Thread [500 Mile Bonus after Link]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED "Linking WorldPerks With Skymiles?" Thread [500 Mile Bonus after Link]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold

Hi!

I noticed on the website that you can now "link" your WP account to your Delta Skymiles account and transfer miles between the two. Does anyone know of a reason why NOT to do this considering the merger?

Thank you!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by kimmielou01
Hi!

I noticed on the website that you can now "link" your WP account to your Delta Skymiles account and transfer miles between the two. Does anyone know of a reason why NOT to do this considering the merger?

Thank you!
Until they grant status between accounts, then yes, I can see some reasons not to.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriot, Starwood, American, United
Originally Posted by motytrah
Until they grant status between accounts, then yes, I can see some reasons not to.
Why? You can transfer miles back and forth as you please, unlimited and fee free.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
I've had some "orphaned miles" sitting in a DL account for a while, no EQMs or anything...I figure it might be a good idea to move those into the NW pot...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I guess what the OP is trying to ask is if there is a good reason to wait. Maybe for a better promotion than just 500 miles, etc.

Another questions I have is if there is a bonus for getting a Delta Skymiles for the first time. Is there a good link for registering, etc? I have always just given my WP number when flying Delta so I never signed up for a Skymiles account.

By the way thanks to Dean on a flight from Flint a few weeks ago...I've been lurking the last few weeks and finally decided to post for the first time
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:57 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by maas0031
I guess what the OP is trying to ask is if there is a good reason to wait. Maybe for a better promotion than just 500 miles, etc.

Another questions I have is if there is a bonus for getting a Delta Skymiles for the first time. Is there a good link for registering, etc? I have always just given my WP number when flying Delta so I never signed up for a Skymiles account.

By the way thanks to Dean on a flight from Flint a few weeks ago...I've been lurking the last few weeks and finally decided to post for the first time
Welcome to FT.

Not sure where the link is to transfer between accounts but I didn't look too hard. (edit): found it - Worldperks, Manage My Account, Link Accounts

Several reasons avail yourself of this:

1) I have some miles in DL (mostly from AmEx) and some in NW (mostly from flying). NW has award availability for a ticket I want to get for a relative but DL doesn't. Can transfer enough miles from DL to NW to have enough miles.

2) NW apparently still does not charge a partner award ticket fee. DL does. Booked a ticket yesterday for another relative on nwa.com using CO for one flight. No $25 partner fee.

DL did recently have a promotion whereby if one skymiles member referred another, there was a bonus (2000 miles?). I am sure you can find the info on delta.com if it is still a promotion.

John
Old Jan 29, 2009, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by CA flyer
Why? You can transfer miles back and forth as you please, unlimited and fee free.
I agree. I don't see NW/DL offering a larger bonus than 500 miles to link the two accounts. And the transfers can be freely made. The only downside is that the link is irreversible. Here's the full T&Cs:
Link Accounts and Transfer Miles:
Terms and Conditions

* The linking of a Northwest WorldPerks account and a Delta SkyMiles account is a non-reversible transaction once confirmed by the user and can only be done between accounts that are owned by the same person. First and last names must match on the accounts and the user must submit WorldPerks and SkyMiles account numbers and PINs
* The transfer of miles can only occur between a linked WorldPerks and SkyMiles account. Transfers are unlimited and can occur in either direction between linked accounts. The miles selected for transfer cannot exceed the available miles for the account in which the miles will be withdrawn.
* No fees apply for linking accounts or transferring miles between linked accounts.
* Any attempt to fraudulently link accounts or transfer miles between fraudulently linked accounts is prohibited and any such transaction will be reversed and may result in account termination.
* The transfer of miles to a SkyMiles account will not reset or extend the mileage expiration date.
* The transfer of miles to a WorldPerks account will reset and extend the mileage expiration date.
* An email address is required to complete this transaction. An email address can be added or updated within the application and will update the SkyMiles account and WorldPerks account.
* An email confirmation will be sent to the email address on file in your SkyMiles account
* By adding an email address, you are agreeing to receive administrative and promotional emails for both your SkyMiles account and your WorldPerks account.
* The sale, barter, gift or assignment of WorldPerks or SkyMiles miles, mileage awards, or other benefits, other than by Northwest or Delta, is expressly prohibited.
* Any miles transferred through this agreement may not be conveyed to persons engaged in the sale, direct or indirect, of flight miles or arranging for the sale of such miles. Any improper usage of WorldPerks miles or SkyMiles miles pursuant to this Agreement and Account Link and Mileage Transfer Program, or any other misuse of miles, shall be grounds for immediate confiscation and forfeit of such miles, and may be grounds for the forfeiture of all miles in the Member's account and the Member's ejection from the WorldPerks and SkyMiles Programs.
* Transferred miles do not count as Elite Qualifying Miles or Medallion Qualification Miles.
* The transfer of miles does not guarantee availability of an award seat on any given flight. Award travel is capacity controlled. Travel to prime destinations during peak periods may require more miles to secure seats.
* The Member shall comply with all federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations with respect to this Agreement and the purchase of miles under the Account Link and Mileage Transfer Program.
* By submitting the request to link and transfer miles, the Member acknowledges and signifies his or her agreement with the Terms and Conditions stated.
* This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Member and Northwest and Delta with respect to the subject matter hereof and supercedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements or understandings, if any, whether written or oral, relating to such subject matter.
* All WorldPerks program and SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules for each program, please visit nwa.com/worldperks/program/memguide or delta.com/memberguide.
Just did a transfer and it was an instantaneous posting into my NW account.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My little stash of orphaned DL miles is now cozy in my NW account. Now, just how to blow them all before March 1st.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Nifty.... transferred my 1500 Delta miles and now have 260,000+ Worldperks miles! (Yeah, I didn't burn, sue me.)

Now if they'd just tell us if they will track MQMs/EQMs across the link... assuming I decide to stay with NW/DL this year I'd pick up a DL Amex.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
I have a relative sitting on 22,000 NWA miles & no delta account. This will help get them closer to the 25k level. I will play with this over the weekend or next week. They have already done the Worldperks University or whatever that was. Is there anything else out there that I can do to get them closer without spending money?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
Nifty.... transferred my 1500 Delta miles and now have 260,000+ Worldperks miles! (Yeah, I didn't burn, sue me.)

Now if they'd just tell us if they will track MQMs/EQMs across the link... assuming I decide to stay with NW/DL this year I'd pick up a DL Amex.
I'm still in worse shape than you. With the 55k I just transferred, I now have over 550k in my account, plus over 160k in familial accounts. Still, much better than a year when we were multimillionaires!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksucats
I have a relative sitting on 22,000 NWA miles & no delta account. This will help get them closer to the 25k level. I will play with this over the weekend or next week. They have already done the Worldperks University or whatever that was. Is there anything else out there that I can do to get them closer without spending money?
Don't forget those Worldperk University courses.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:48 pm

I don't have a SkM account. Any promos I should look after? I think I'll have about 50K in Amex Rewards soon. I'm trying to figure out the best way of getting a trip to SYD out of this...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Soooo.....

Let's hypothetically say that my father is also named "seoulmanjr". Our names match up exactly. If I had a DL account with 55k orphaned miles, could I "link" "seoulmanjr"'s accounts through this to essentially get a free mileage transfer between us? I realize that I can easily test this hypothesis, but I'm wondering if there are any downstream repercussions to the elder seoulmanjr's DL/NW account you can think of for doing so....

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
* The transfer of miles to a SkyMiles account will not reset or extend the mileage expiration date.
* The transfer of miles to a WorldPerks account will reset and extend the mileage expiration date.
This must be a typo, right?
http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/almt/terms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.