Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI Surprise fare increase

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Was able to check in for the inbound part of the run without any problem. Try the outbound again and it returns the more common message of "The reservation we located is not available for check-in on nwa.com." That's better than the $1300 message from before.

Thanks to all for the information.

Well at check in, my itn showed DAY-DAY. After a few laughs, the nice gentleman had a boarding pass in less than 3 minutes. No big deal after all.

Last edited by Blank Sheet; Jan 24, 2009 at 12:39 pm Reason: what happened at check in.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
DL's also had (pretty sure it's still there) a rule in the SkyMiles T&C forbidding the use of extra segments to enhance mileage. For example that old standby MSP-ATL-CVG-STL might now yield only 500 miles after the RPU takes a look at your account, since DL/NW offers MSP-STL. Watch for this little gotcha in a SkyMiles program near you soon.
As it appears that you're reversing direction, I could see why RPU wouldn't like that. I've heard of the glory days of SEA-ATL-SLC-CVG-LAX, and can understand the desire to limit direction changes on departure/returns. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy/fly the ticket, if I could.

Originally Posted by GVA
I do know that the rule was strictly enforced around 2001/2002, however more recently do not know of anyone who has had an RPU audit. Of course, how Delta can prove that you were doing it for mileage purposes instead of say visiting someone for 40 minutes at an airport is debatable... Although YMMV...
How about because it was cheaper? I can't remember if I've ever had an instance where fare lookups gave a multi-segment trip as being less expensive then a non-stop. If they want to sell me the lower connection ticket, then sub in a direct at the same price, saying it's wasting resources... no problem!

A lot of K-fare and PI specials have segment limits built into the fare rules... direct routing, or no more then 3 segments. And sometimes, you have to buy into L to get more then two segments. As long as I don't change direction, and/or fly in a "straight" line, I figure it's fair game. If I'm looking for an MR, and get quotes $199 for DTW-MSP-MEM-CVG-ATL-MCO, and $209 for DTW-MCO... it's an MR, I'll try any routing once. I'd just never expect to see DTW-ATL-MSP-MCO as an option.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:06 pm
jpc

Programs: NW-GE
I had this same thing happen to me when I tried to check in after getting a three-day out upgrade. The person on the phone said to ignore it, but it meant that I couldn't do OLCI.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: PC Plat. Ambassador, DL PM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
All 30 of them.

That was exactly my first thought.

DL's also had (pretty sure it's still there) a rule in the SkyMiles T&C forbidding the use of extra segments to enhance mileage. For example that old standby MSP-ATL-CVG-STL might now yield only 500 miles after the RPU takes a look at your account, since DL/NW offers MSP-STL. Watch for this little gotcha in a SkyMiles program near you soon.
How could they ever prove that you weren't making a contract delivery in ATL and CVG before getting to STL? Sounds like a BS way of cheating people out of miles.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by sbagdon
How about because it was cheaper?
Yeah, totally. I'd be happy to fly HNL-NRT-* if I could get it as cheap as I can get HNL-LAX-NRT-*
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:47 pm

Programs: World Perks -base
If you get that message about owing money during your check in, call an agent. More than likely, it means you had a sked change and weren't emailed about it, and the agt that protected you didn't put in the right reprotection lines. Have the agent look up the history to make sure the changes were made by one of their own, either in Singapore, MSP, SEA, or RSC, check it against the ticket, check for the reprotect lines, and then make the choice to either reprotect you (ie, put in the missing lines) or reissue your ticket. Most of the time, they can take care of it.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Great info! Thanks for the insider insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.