Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW vs DL one way fares -- what a difference!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:00 pm
trd
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond

Just checked a one way fare from MKE-ROA later this month. Delta was a very respectable $118 (9 choices); the cheapest NW fare (including some of the same flights listed DL) was $592 (1) or $775 and up! WOW.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Appears the DL flights have a lot more seats available then than NW flights.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by trd
Just checked a one way fare from MKE-ROA later this month. Delta was a very respectable $118 (9 choices); the cheapest NW fare (including some of the same flights listed DL) was $592 (1) or $775 and up! WOW.
Northwest charges more money for refundable tickets. They charge less money for non-refundable (non-changeable) tickets. If they just sold you the one-way fare at half the price of the round-trip fare, they'd be giving you business-fare flexibility for your return segment for free.

They also assume that most travelers end up returning to where they started. The high fares also price you out of picking and choosing between different airlines to get the lowest price on each. For example, it might cost you $250 to fly out on NW and $200 to fly back, while another airline might cost $240 to fly out and $240 to fly back. By preventing you from just buying the cheaper fare on NW, NW gets you to fly both directions on NW.

You WILL occasionally see discounted one-way fares on NW, but usually only inside 7 days and on flights that are undersold. Otherwise one-way fares just are not in the pricing model.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by trd
it's focus city pricing....put very simply NWA has more options (and more NS options too) than any other airline out of MKE (same for IND)
Old Nov 12, 2008, 3:35 pm

As a former NW Elite and current DL Medallion, I believe DL's OW pricing is much more common and systemic that some posters here believe. In my experience, NW's OW fares were typically significantly higher than 50% of RT fare, whereas on DL I've found plenty of OW fares that are in the ballpark of 50% RT.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by socrates
it's focus city pricing....put very simply NWA has more options (and more NS options too) than any other airline out of MKE (same for IND)
Funny thing is that NW routinely beats Delta on price out of IND!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
pbi-lax costs

Doing a MR for FO for 09. Priced both routes and NW was $224 and DL was $746 8 days out last week. Six Segments 3 DL & 3 NW.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by indufan
Funny thing is that NW routinely beats Delta on price out of IND!
Trust me I know

But have you checked their OW prices? ouch!
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I have found that in every market out of BNA. They do nto have one way fares other then to the DTW area. Other then that a one way is B or Y. I use to buy the Delta code share on NWA for 150 to anywhere in FLA and NWA was 400.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I think it's totally hit or miss.

I unexpectedly need to get to GSO this wknd.

Yesterday, I looked on On DL.com as I normally do when I want to fly somewhere, and it was $550 for SLC-DEN-ATL-GSO (multistop, red-eye). Thanks but no thanks.

I then went to NWA.com and booked a last minute roundtrip SLC-DTW-GSO for $300 leaving 11/15

... and the icing on the cake - I'm already upgraded

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.