Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW elite flying AS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Ok, so here's a quick rundown of the results:
- The ticket agents at ORD, though extremely nice, had NO idea what I was trying to do. They thought that NW handled those upgrades and that I needed to talk to them. Eventually, after reading through all of the rules, as well as the conflicting reports of when and where to use the upgrade cert numbers, they did check for availability in either U or F fare buckets, and there was none. In the end, I got rerouted anyway, so it didn't matter.
- My return experience was starkly different. Leaving from SEA last night, I checked in using the kiosks, then went to one of the "Check Bag Here" stations (step#2 ). There, an agent took about 3 seconds to look up availability and print me a new boarding pass. Note, this is still outside of security, and about 3.5 hours before the flight. I enjoyed a row all to myself, views of the volcanoes of the pacific NW, as well as the grilled chicken and pasta dish that was served.
- I did use the AS Board Room in both SEA and LAX. Both are very nice. A bit more modern than the WorldClubs, and not nearly as crowded.

I would definitely use AS again, knowing that I'd be rolling the dice big time in terms of upgrades (particularly out of ORD).
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by GBadger
Ok, so here's a quick rundown of the results:
- The ticket agents at ORD, though extremely nice, had NO idea what I was trying to do. They thought that NW handled those upgrades and that I needed to talk to them. Eventually, after reading through all of the rules, as well as the conflicting reports of when and where to use the upgrade cert numbers, they did check for availability in either U or F fare buckets, and there was none. In the end, I got rerouted anyway, so it didn't matter.
- My return experience was starkly different. Leaving from SEA last night, I checked in using the kiosks, then went to one of the "Check Bag Here" stations (step#2 ). There, an agent took about 3 seconds to look up availability and print me a new boarding pass. Note, this is still outside of security, and about 3.5 hours before the flight. I enjoyed a row all to myself, views of the volcanoes of the pacific NW, as well as the grilled chicken and pasta dish that was served.
- I did use the AS Board Room in both SEA and LAX. Both are very nice. A bit more modern than the WorldClubs, and not nearly as crowded.

I would definitely use AS again, knowing that I'd be rolling the dice big time in terms of upgrades (particularly out of ORD).
Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience, moreover on your return...
I wouldn't expect many NW elites to be flying from ORD... hence their inexperience with them (but you got to teach them new tricks) SEA-ORD are notoriously difficult to get an UG on too... like our ANC-SEA routes. But with the upgraded SEA-LAX-SEA service, its great! Lots of flights to get UG's on, and good food too for such a short run. SEA & LAX do have nice BR's, but the PDX one, although smaller, has a business decor.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
I've been using the F/MVP line for years, with no problems. I vaguely remember them frowning on silvers, but golds and platinums should definitely have no problem.
The one time I did it I was sternly told that the F/MVP line was NOT for NW Elites flying coach. I was Plat at the time.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I got into the F/MVP line at SEA but I was gently reminded that it was because I had a seat in F, and not because I am a NW elite...Seems consistent with what's stated by MJLogan.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 3:09 pm

I have a related question. I am a newly minted NW Gold and I was wondering if you could get upgraded on an AS-operated flight (but booked via AA w/ an AA flight #) w/ my NW Gold card. I am thinking of LAX-SEA or SAN-SEA if that matters. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Lutz
I have a related question. I am a newly minted NW Gold and I was wondering if you could get upgraded on an AS-operated flight (but booked via AA w/ an AA flight #) w/ my NW Gold card. I am thinking of LAX-SEA or SAN-SEA if that matters. Thanks!
Yes. See http://www.nwa.com/offers/alaskaupgrade08/. Better hurry if you want to take advantage of the certificate option: "The last day to request 2008 WorldPerks program year certificates is January 31, 2009".

There have been occasional reports of AS agents insisting it must be a NW code share but that is not correct. Any AS-operated flight will work. There must be U inventory to upgrade into.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Stripe
Yes. See http://www.nwa.com/offers/alaskaupgrade08/. Better hurry if you want to take advantage of the certificate option: "The last day to request 2008 WorldPerks program year certificates is January 31, 2009".

There have been occasional reports of AS agents insisting it must be a NW code share but that is not correct. Any AS-operated flight will work. There must be U inventory to upgrade into.
That's great! Thanks for the post.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:11 am

Programs: DELTA
Talking No Matter

Originally Posted by MJLogan
The one time I did it I was sternly told that the F/MVP line was NOT for NW Elites flying coach. I was Plat at the time.
Bah! I would still use the F/MVP line anyway. We're entitled too.

-A

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.