Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Latest program/merger update from Bob (9/9/08)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest program/merger update from Bob (9/9/08)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:30 am

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by NW scoop
PerkChoice: The “facelift” that I promised back in July has been delayed due to technical problems. However, I think it will launch in the next 2 weeks (with the ability to earn miles on the revenue portion of the ticket).
Dear Bob:

Please pack this with you on your next meeting to ATL. Make sure you don't leave it in MSP because the southern portion of your (soon to be) family need your wisdom in regards to Pay With Miles. Thanks,

ADLFO
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Also, we’ve made some technical improvements to the Domestic upgrade processor (nickname: GUS). I won’t bore you with the details, but the net result is earlier upgrades.
GUS: Golds Upgraded Second. So, how's that an improvement?

Bob, details would be cool if you can provide them. Some of us on the board are very detail-oriented people...like knowing where we are on the upgrade standby list.

Can you elaborate on earlier upgrades? Already most come at the 6/4/2 mark so I'm wondering if this applies to non-standard cases like where people book last minute, use FlyNow, etc.

Thanks very much for the update.

-RM
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Domestic Upgrading: As promised, we’ve implemented the ability to watch your place on the upgrade list. Go to the “manage my reservations” section of nwa.com to find it.
What point does this start showing up? I really have not flown this year. Only once. (Pathetic, I know.)
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by james318
What point does this start showing up? I really have not flown this year. Only once. (Pathetic, I know.)
I've already notified the TalkBoard. Don't be surprised if you are unable to log into FT tomorrow morning.

This is a board for frequent flyers.

---

Travel patterns change all the time. I myself have flown a fair bit less in the last 18 months than in previous years.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I've already notified the TalkBoard. Don't be surprised if you are unable to log into FT tomorrow morning.

This is a board for frequent flyers.

Travel patterns change all the time. I myself have flown a fair bit less in the last 18 months than in previous years.
lol... I am sure work will send you a letter of appreciation... I'll be much more productive.

I've flown once this year, a DTW-BNA trip where I didn't get upgraded on DTW-BNA, but for the first time in 3 years, got upgraded on BNA-DTW. I have a DTW-FLL-MEM-DCA-DTW-BNA-DTW trip coming up, so I'll have a chance to see this new process in action... Which is why I am wondering when it will show up. At checkin? At 5 days out? at 24 hours because i am a lowly silver?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I suppose we'll know the change is coming soon when NW asks us to verify our DL number if we have one, or we are issued a new DL number.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
lol... I am sure work will send you a letter of appreciation... I'll be much more productive.

I've flown once this year, a DTW-BNA trip where I didn't get upgraded on DTW-BNA, but for the first time in 3 years, got upgraded on BNA-DTW. I have a DTW-FLL-MEM-DCA-DTW-BNA-DTW trip coming up, so I'll have a chance to see this new process in action... Which is why I am wondering when it will show up. At checkin? At 5 days out? at 24 hours because i am a lowly silver?
I think another thread indicated at the 24 hour point for all. I am looking forward to trying it out myself.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
According to other threads, it's already there.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Bob, is this formal reciprocity a new thing or not? In 2004, I redeemed for GIG at 35k for Y PerkSaver. On CO metal. Booked on NWA.COM. On that flight, I rode down next to a CO elite who'd paid 50k NonePass miles for his Y saver seat. This was some time after CO had raised the redemption requirement for US-deep LatAm. He wasn't so excited about the "reciprocidad" back then.
When I first read it, I assumed it was referring to the EARNING of miles/segments, not redemption.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Dear FlyerTalkers Domestic Upgrading: As promised, we’ve implemented the ability to watch your place on the upgrade list. Go to the “manage my reservations” section of nwa.com to find it.
Has anyone been able to watch their place on the upgrade list? I was unable to find what Bob is referring to.

Allan F
Green Bay, WI
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: NWA/Delta GM, Continental, US Air
Question My First Post - Questions re NWA FF vs Delta FF

I will aplogize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong thread, but it is my very first post.

I have been NWA WP Silver (occasionally make Gold) for many years. I have been watching this forum for several months and find the information invaluable. My first question is whether there is any benefit to start collecting DL Skymiles for DL trips I have planned through the end of this calendar year? I do have a Skymles account, but I always enter the NWA WP # at the airport or when printing out boarding pass the day before. I realize the programs are going to be combined, but I already have sufficient miles booked on NWA to make Silver for next year.

I have similar questions as to whether it is time to consider switching my Visa Northwest Signature card to a Delta recognized card? I have not yet done the research to find out if there is a comparable card that gives the $100 e-certs or the two 19,000 mile award tickets. The new EQM program for the Signature card would probably put me back to Gold next year if the Visa Signature card remains a valid NWA/DL product.

Any advice is welcome.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Nanrid1121
My first question is whether there is any benefit to start collecting DL Skymiles for DL trips I have planned through the end of this calendar year?

I have similar questions as to whether it is time to consider switching my Visa Northwest Signature card to a Delta recognized card?
For a number of reasons, you need to keep collecting NW miles. More miles, higher status in one, instead of status on two (or no status on either!). Ditto for the credit card. I'm sure they'll have a new offer sometime next year, and give you a sweetener to get an Amex card.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: NWA/Delta GM, Continental, US Air
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
For a number of reasons, you need to keep collecting NW miles. More miles, higher status in one, instead of status on two (or no status on either!). Ditto for the credit card. I'm sure they'll have a new offer sometime next year, and give you a sweetener to get an Amex card.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Thanks for the Welcome... and the advice. I will stick with NWA WP and the Visa for now. One exception - I will take SkyMiles for one BOS/DCA trip in October. I went into my SkyMiles account and found that I have 22.5K miles due to expire December 2008. I had been taking NWA WP miles for my Delta trips for the past two years and had not realized the DL miles were about to expire. Apparently, my travel on DL does not keep the account active if I choose to take NWA miles, and the miles expire. The SkyMiles member information indicates that Partner travel counts as "activity" but I guess that means getting DL miles for NWA travel.

Nancy Ridley
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM/Sky Club/Marriott Gold
NWA Elite Qualifiers by Segments after Merger?

Since SkyMiles doesn't condsider segements for Elite qualification and WorldPerks does, does anyone have any insights about whether NWA segment qualification will carry over to the merged program?

I've gotta believe there are plenty of loyal NWA elites like me who qualify via segments earned on shorter-haul, domestic trips.

After three years as a Gold, I expect to finally hit Platinum in about six weeks. It's disconcerting to think that next year, under the potentially combined program, one might not be able to keep that status -- or even a lower status -- because of the way one happens to need to fly.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by optimist1125
Since SkyMiles doesn't condsider segements for Elite qualification and WorldPerks does, does anyone have any insights about whether NWA segment qualification will carry over to the merged program?

I've gotta believe there are plenty of loyal NWA elites like me who qualify via segments earned on shorter-haul, domestic trips.

After three years as a Gold, I expect to finally hit Platinum in about six weeks. It's disconcerting to think that next year, under the potentially combined program, one might not be able to keep that status -- or even a lower status -- because of the way one happens to need to fly.

Thoughts, anyone?
No one knows for sure because the program details are not finalized. With that said, the current DL head of Skymiles will be the new VP of Skymiles (or whatever it's called) after the merger. You can bet that many of the "enhancements" that DL has seen will be carried over and forced onto the NW WorldPerks program.

My personal opinion is we will see the following, at a minimum:
1. No more qualification on segments
2. No more 100% EQM for all fare classes in coach. Look for either a two- or three-tiered system (e.g. 25% for T/K, 50% for V/L and 100% for H/B/M/Q).
3. Probably a higher qualification threshold for Plats to 100K.

Again, these are just my opinion and none or all may happen. While these are all bad things, there may be some good things that come with the merged program like a higher elite category than Platinum somewhere in the 150K+ range.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.