Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

New promotion - Earn EQMs with WP Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New promotion - Earn EQMs with WP Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
This agrees with what I've heard & with what others in a position to know have already posted.

There will be some added cooperation early on (e.g. upgrades) & syncing of benefits (e.g. EQM's from credit cards) but don't expect the companies & programs to be rolled together before the end of 2009.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
Allow me to disagree. Other threads and other news sources have indicated that the intention is for NW to continue to operate for some time as a subsidiary of DL after the merger. The FAA and other government legalities will not happen overnight, and it will take quite a few months before NW ceases to exist as a separate operating airline, maybe even through the end of 2009.

But no matter how long it takes, the general feeling that has been expressed (or implied) is that NW and Worldperks will not be immediately folded into DL and the Skymiles Program. My guess is that WP and this promotion will be around through the END of 2009, allowing everyone a full year to reach the goals. Beyond that, again my guess is that while DL currently has a strong relationship with AMEX, the entire issue of an affinity credit card will be renegotiated. At this point, there is no indication of who might win that battle.

And now that both airlines seem to have similar and very generous alternative options for earning EQM's, I am fully expecting that both programs in 2009 will change to 25K-50K-100K mile tiers for SE, GE, and PE qualification. Which means that this whole thing will not get sorted out until March 1, 2010!
That is certainly possible, although I hadn't thought it would take that long.

I also agree that it seems like platinum will become 100,000- the delta site lists the mileage for the elite status, and shows 25, 50, and 75 (for platinum), but there is an asterisk next to the platinum requirement, that states "members who earn 75,000 miles during 2008 will have status during 2009" (paraphrased), but there is no such fine print for silver and gold.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I think this is a very smart promo for NWA and US Bank. It's definitely got me thinking about switching my spending from my Hilton AmEx card to the NW Visa. While I value Hilton points more that NWA miles, the extra 10k - 20k EQMs is something that I can't get with the Hilton AmEx (yes, I know about the $20k spend for Gold, but I'll make Gold w/o the spend).
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
i hate to be dense, can you show me a link or place to find this promo, i dont see on the web site
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
http://www.worldperksvisa.com/cgi_w/...irect=perks862
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Alas, count me among the un-incentivized, thanks to the very high bar being set on spending amounts. Something more modest might have worked. I don't think this will mint many more PEs than there would be otherwise.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:45 pm
zlc

Originally Posted by BobH
It may be great, but just for anyone who will just fly 15k miles in 2008 and who can put 8 to 9k a month on the card (allowing a bit of time for the the thing to come !)

There won't be many people in both categories.

For 2009, assuming the program lasts, the spend rate per month is just 2 to 3k.

Bob H
I doult the program will last the full 12 months in 2009. The whole point is to entice people to spend $25k in just 4 months, which is out of reach for most people without creative planning. OTOH, spending $25k, or even $50k during a year has very little challenge. My take is if the promotion does come back in 2009, it will be around September.

I hope I was wrong.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zlc
I doult the program will last the full 12 months in 2009. The whole point is to entice people to spend $25k in just 4 months, which is out of reach for most people without creative planning. OTOH, spending $25k, or even $50k during a year has very little challenge. My take is if the promotion does come back in 2009, it will be around September.

I hope I was wrong.
I can't see any situation in which you are not wrong. The program very clearly appears to be permanent. They're just not offering a pro-rated reward for 2008 (yet).

It's very temping for me to switch my spend, as EQMs are very valuable for me while RDMs are pretty much not valuable at all, but I'm tremendously happy with my service from Amex and it's really tough to give that up for US Bank.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I had trouble believing that they actually expected people to spend $25K in a 3-4 month period, so I emailed US Bank for clarification. Unfortunately, that's exactly what they confirmed:

>>
The spend qualification has not been lowered for 2008. The full qualifying amount would need to be made by December 31, 2008.
<<
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum
Buy GOLD at 25% off (live.com deal)

Kudos to the presidential dollar idea. But I am doing a MUCH BETTER ONE to max out my WpVisa fast. I am hitting this one heavy and hard. Not only am I getting big hits to my credit card I am making money doing it.
Lets call it the "golden way to gold elite".

Basically you first have to have an ebay account, a paypal account (funded by your WP Visa) and a live.com cashback account.

Go to live.com cashback and type in GOLD BAR, AUCTION, BUY NOW, Wii, Plasma TV, any big ticket item, whatever works for you to get in the door (this step is hit and miss so keep trying, its a rotating door) to get a icon with the dollar sign on a coin and a blue box that says 25% off on ebay. (this varies from 10% to 95% but is today 25 or 30 with a $200 max) CLICK THAT LINK. It will take you to ebay Once you are in ebay you should see the banner in the top middle of your screen with the red tag and the %age you will save. If you dont go back and try again later. One you see it you have 59 minutes to buy 1 thing and save up to $200. Make sure you read all the fine print. Follow through and pay for your item with paypal and fund it with your WP visa. Then watch for a mail in your ebay mymessages. If you do it right in 60 days you get your cashback from microsoft.

What can you buy on ebay ? ANYTHING REALLY with BUY IT NOW and where the seller accepts paypal. YOU MUST USE BUY IT NOW (no best offers or auctions) Get yourself a new laptop, go christmas shopping whatever. I suggest gold 1 oz coins, such as a krugerrand. You can get them for $925 and save $200, this nets your cost to $725 each (while getting 925 eqm's per smack) This is UNDER spot or melt value.
you can easily re-sell them to a dealer for more than that (see ajpm.com buy prices for example) or just relist them on ebay and re-sell them right away. Either way you come out ahead. I would even buy them from you, but my credit cards are all maxed out right now You can do it 12 times per ebay account. but make sure to log out each time then *clear your cache* and log back in again before trying to repeat the deal. The only catch is you have to wait 60 days for your rebate check to arrive. If you can handle that proceed. So charge up 10k on your credit card and by xmas you get a nice rebate check of $2400.

Pay it off quickly, open a new ebay account, wash rinse and repeat.

Have fun !
if this deal works for you, please let me know. I have gotten so many good deals, tips and mileage runs from this group I wanted to make my contribution.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Is it clear that if I spend my 25,000th dollar on 12/31/08 (or maybe 12/28 just to be safer), that I will get the 10k EQMs for 2008? Or will they say that that charge goes on my next statement which closes 1/21/09, so I don't earn the WP miles for it in 2008, so I'm screwed on the EQM front?

Their T&C seem ambiguous on this issue, but maybe I'm missing something.

It's going to be a close call for me to spend $25k by 12/31, and that's the only way I'll make elite status, so I want to make sure I don't get burned because I really needed to spend 25k by 12/21.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:52 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
I don't think the monthly closing date of your statement has anything to do with it. The real question, if you are going to be close, is whether they will go by the "transaction date" or the "posting date". The latter is always 1-2 days later, or sometimes can be quite a few days later for foreign transactions. With the weekends and holidays coming into play during the last 2 weeks of the year, you would be safe to try to have your spend completed before Christmas if possible.

If you need to spend a little extra to buy someone a Christmas present, PM me and I will provide my mailing address

My question is "how long will it take before the earned EQM's get posted?" I have just recently passed the first spending threshold and am waiting to see when the EQM's get added to my account. I should pass the second threshold by Dec. 15, and hope to reel in another couple of SWU's before the end of the year, but who knows how long it will take for them to actually post the EQM's. If anyone has gotten the first 10,000 EQM's, please let us know. Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta SM
Is it clear that if I spend my 25,000th dollar on 12/31/08 (or maybe 12/28 just to be safer), that I will get the 10k EQMs for 2008?
Terms & Conditions:
1. This program begins on September 1, 2008. Net purchases made after that date through December 31, 2008 count towards 2008 EQMs.

My question is "how long will it take before the earned EQM's get posted?"
Terms & Conditions:
3. The maximum number of EQMs per WorldPerks member/number that can be earned in one calendar year using your WorldPerks Visa Signature Card [starting with the numbers 419008, 412714, or 414778] is 20,000. You must spend the full qualifying amount to earn EQMs. No partial awards will be made for spend less than $25,000 or $50,000 on any one Card. EQMs will be posted 4 to 8 weeks after Net Purchases have cycled. Accounts must be in good standing to earn EQMs.

I was curious to know the answers to these questions as well so dove in to the T&C for the answers. Mr. ladysheri could have used these EQMs for 2009 as he is already Platinum for this year, but it looks like they will get credited for 2008, period. Shame we don't get a choice on when to take them.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: NW, CO, HH,
Originally Posted by mrcimino1

My question is "how long will it take before the earned EQM's get posted?" I have just recently passed the first spending threshold and am waiting to see when the EQM's get added to my account. I should pass the second threshold by Dec. 15, and hope to reel in another couple of SWU's before the end of the year, but who knows how long it will take for them to actually post the EQM's. If anyone has gotten the first 10,000 EQM's, please let us know. Thanks.
Passed the first 25K over 5 weeks ago and the 50K two weeks ago. Nothing on account yet for EQM's. Anyone get any yet?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by heiflr
Passed the first 25K over 5 weeks ago and the 50K two weeks ago. Nothing on account yet for EQM's. Anyone get any yet?
I hit 50K 4 weeks ago and have also seen nada since. I enquired about timing with US Bank and got a canned response pointing to the 4 - 8 weeks in the T&Cs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.