Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

New promotion - Earn EQMs with WP Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New promotion - Earn EQMs with WP Visa

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anbhc
"This program begins on September 1, 2008. Net purchases made after that date through December 31, 2008 count towards 2008 EQMs". Are they saying that for instance the total amount of net purchases spent in the 3 months between 9/1/08-12/31/08 will count towards 2008 Elite status. Ie If one spent $5,999 during this period they would get 5999 EQMs for 2008? I can't imagine anyone spending the $25,000 threshold between 9/1/08-12/31/08 to earn 10,000 EQMS for 2008.
You have to spend $25k between now and the end of the year to get 10,000 EQMs. Someone else suggested they should let you get 10,000 EQMs for $10,000 spend, but that means you'd be getting 2.5 EQMs per dollar. I think it would be more reasonable if you got something like 4,000 EQMs for a $10k spend.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
A bad joke for 2008

Originally Posted by NW promo
No partial awards will be made for spend less than $25,000 or $50,000 on any one Card. EQMs will be posted 4 to 8 weeks after Net Purchases have cycled. Accounts must be in good standing to earn EQMs.
With no partial awards, this is worthless for most of us in 2008. You need an annualized spend of $75K to get anything.

On a 12-month basis it's a decent deal.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
It only gets you a couple thousand but might I suggest the presidential dollars thread. Right now you can get around 3500 for "free". It is certainly a start.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by cayenne92
It only gets you a couple thousand but might I suggest the presidential dollars thread. Right now you can get around 3500 for "free". It is certainly a start.
That's for banked miles. This is about qualifying miles:

Originally Posted by NWA
...Starting September 1, 2008, you can earn up to 20,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) towards your WorldPerks Elite status each calendar year....
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:02 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Once again, this thread points out that everyone looks at any of these promotions through their own eyes, in light of their own personal situation. While there appear to be many who are in awe at the thought of spending $50,000 a year on a credit card, to others it is only a drop in the bucket.

There are business travellers who routinely run up travel expenses over $25,000 a month and are reimbursed for them, paying the card off monthly. And there are business owners who consistently charge business expenses in that amount or more each month, and again routinely pay them off on a monthly basis.

I, for one, fall into one of those two categories, and count on earning over 300,000 RDM's each year solely from credit card spending alone, not including the miles I earn from actually flying. For me, this presents an opportunity that NW has never offered before, and one that I will not have to do much out of the ordinary to capitalize on.

In my calculations, I was going to end up 30,000 EQM's shy of another 2 SWU's from Elite Extra Perks. The time is growing short in the year, and I was not very seriously considering trying to pad my EQM's just to reach another plateau. But now, with another 20,000 EQM's virtually guaranteed, it becomes a whole lot easier to plan a long weekend in Europe in early December solely to earn those very valuable SWU's. You could call it a Mileage Run if you like, but not one that is only to earn a particular Elite Status.

However next year will be a whole different story, as far more will be able to capitalize on the $50,000 spend when they have 12 months to do it. And I am like most of the rest of you, that I do not look forward to any swelling of the ranks of Elites by artificial means. I remember all too well what the Double EQM promo did a couple of years ago, and could only count the months and days until the playing field returned to normal and the pseudo-Elites stopped competing with us BIS guys for the upgrades. The effects of this promo are going to be around for a LONG time, even if US Bank is not in the picture post-merger.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
That's for banked miles. This is about qualifying miles:
I think Cayenne meant to use your WorldPerks Visa to purchase the presidential dollars, thus boosting your chance of getting the Visa bonus eqm's. ^
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Watchful
I think Cayenne meant to use your WorldPerks Visa to purchase the presidential dollars, thus boosting your chance of getting the Visa bonus eqm's. ^
You are so correct! After almost 16 hours at work & not enough sleep, the thought processes were disengaging.

My apologies to cayenne92!
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Watchful
what is this in reference to?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by psychtobe
what is this in reference to?
referring to posts 33 and 34 - buying presidential dollars online using a credit card is one way to boost credit card expenditures without busting your budget - because you are basically buying cash which you can then spend or deposit.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:25 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
W/P Visa EQM's

As I read this, please tell me if I'm wrong, this is ONLY EQM's NOT RDM's, correct?^
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by poppabear
As I read this, please tell me if I'm wrong, this is ONLY EQM's NOT RDM's, correct?^
You always got RDMs, $1 spent on the card = 1 RDM (more on NWA purchases).

Now, in addition to the RDMs, you get EQMs too:
$25K spent on the card = 10,000 EQM
$50K spent on the card = 20,000 EQM
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Apology accepted.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I am surprised it has taken US bank/NW this long to do this. Delta has had this for a long time on their Am Ex.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:44 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Fantastic!
This was just what I needed this year- those 20,000 will put me very close to Platinum, lets see if any more trips come up and I can squeeze in a couple thousand more miles.

For those of you worried about the effect this would have on elite ranks- as has been stated, this promotion is not necessarily going to significantly increase the number of earned EQM's, as there are many who would not meet the spending threshold with this little time left for the year. And though this promotion is "indefinite," it will all but end at the beginning of 2009, when the worldperks program ceases to exist.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:05 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by sany2
And though this promotion is "indefinite," it will all but end at the beginning of 2009, when the worldperks program ceases to exist.
Allow me to disagree. Other threads and other news sources have indicated that the intention is for NW to continue to operate for some time as a subsidiary of DL after the merger. The FAA and other government legalities will not happen overnight, and it will take quite a few months before NW ceases to exist as a separate operating airline, maybe even through the end of 2009.

But no matter how long it takes, the general feeling that has been expressed (or implied) is that NW and Worldperks will not be immediately folded into DL and the Skymiles Program. My guess is that WP and this promotion will be around through the END of 2009, allowing everyone a full year to reach the goals. Beyond that, again my guess is that while DL currently has a strong relationship with AMEX, the entire issue of an affinity credit card will be renegotiated. At this point, there is no indication of who might win that battle.

And now that both airlines seem to have similar and very generous alternative options for earning EQM's, I am fully expecting that both programs in 2009 will change to 25K-50K-100K mile tiers for SE, GE, and PE qualification. Which means that this whole thing will not get sorted out until March 1, 2010!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.