Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Reductions; Which hub will be hit the hardest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW Reductions; Which hub will be hit the hardest?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Question NW Reductions; Which hub will be hit the hardest?

I was just looking at the cuts from AA, and was to say the least shocked to see them canning 62 flights from Ohare. I can't help but ask, what hub will see the most reductions in terms of flights? Northwest hasn't outlined what they are cutting yet (except to say no station closings), unlike other airlines.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
With the DL merger, I'd have to say MEM will get the most cuts, as it will be replaced by ATL as the "southern" hub of the combined airline.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
With the DL merger, I'd have to say MEM will get the most cuts, as it will be replaced by ATL as the "southern" hub of the combined airline.
Conversely, DL will probably slash flights at CVG, in favor of NW's hubs at MSP and DTW.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Conversely, DL will probably slash flights at CVG, in favor of NW's hubs at MSP and DTW.
Those are both merger reductions however. I don't think NW or DL can make those kinds of cuts at this point. That would be more of a 2009.

The OP brings up a point I've been making for the last couple weeks. NW hasn't made any major cuts announcements. They've reduced frequency on a number of routes, but so far, the only thing major anyone has noticed is MSP-CDG.

There is a question about what NW is playing at here?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by motytrah
Those are both merger reductions however. I don't think NW or DL can make those kinds of cuts at this point. That would be more of a 2009.

The OP brings up a point I've been making for the last couple weeks. NW hasn't made any major cuts announcements. They've reduced frequency on a number of routes, but so far, the only thing major anyone has noticed is MSP-CDG.

There is a question about what NW is playing at here?
Not sure where you get your info from but here's an article about NW cutting capacity and work force: http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...AS858420080617

-RM
Old Jun 25, 2008, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Not sure where you get your info from but here's an article about NW cutting capacity and work force: http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv...AS858420080617
Yes it's a very generic release. What I'm getting at is there is a huge difference between reducing flights per day vs cutting out entire routes. DL announce almost 40 routes they'll no longer serve. The same thing with the other majors. There are stations closing as starting to happen. So far NW has been very quite about what they are specifically going to do.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:07 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
There's an interesting interactive map with cuts (and increases) for Oct08 vs. Oct07 schedules. It's not airline specific, but it is state specific and airport specific: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...cutbacks_N.htm
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver
On the other hand, MEM is a good spot to pick up some of the connections lost when CO leaves ST.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by ed1
There's an interesting interactive map with cuts (and increases) for Oct08 vs. Oct07 schedules. It's not airline specific, but it is state specific and airport specific: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...cutbacks_N.htm
It is interesting to compare the drop percentages between MSP, DTW (on the NW side) and ATL,JFK (on the DL side).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:26 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by respectable_man
It is interesting to compare the drop percentages between MSP, DTW (on the NW side) and ATL,JFK (on the DL side).
Just the reverse between MEM and CVG (although they have it in the wrong state - I didn't notice last time I looked).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:31 pm

Location: Dallas, TX , formerly Wilmington, NC, hence ILMflyer
Programs: AA/WN/DL
I predict (and hopefully, I am wrong) within the next several weeks NW will reduce MEM to a focus city with only mainline service to the DTW, MSP and perhaps, LAX and SFO. Everything else will be serviced with Express carriers. Compass Airlines aircraft should easily be able to reach cities on the East and West coast from MEM.

I also see reductions in frequency on routes out of DTW and MSP that have 5 or more nonstops a day. I also see a reduction of flying on Saturdays system wide.

Unexpectedly, our current national gas crunch might facilitate the merger process with the upcoming consolidation of routes.

Last edited by ILMflyer; Jun 25, 2008 at 7:32 pm Reason: spelling of consolidation
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
MEM and CVG are too close -- just 360nm apart. One will have to go. My bet is memphis. Should we start a pool?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by doglover
MEM and CVG are too close -- just 360nm apart. One will have to go. My bet is memphis. Should we start a pool?
I think CVG will suffer more than MEM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:11 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by respectable_man
I think CVG will suffer more than MEM.
It already has, hopefully those two will stay that way (with fewer cuts to MEM).
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:13 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by doglover
I think CVG has/had many more CRJ flights vs. mainline than MEM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.