Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Should I worry?

In March I bought 2 one way tickets to MEM. I'll be flying LAX-DTW-MEM. My mother will be flying BUF-DTW-MEM. We'll be on the same flight from DTW-MEM.

About two weeks after I bought the tickets I get an email alert from NW announcing that the flight schedule for my mother's ticket had been changed. This included changes to the DTW-MEM leg. Yet, I received no alert for my DTW-MEM leg.

The difference in the changes aren't more than 15 minutes on each leg, but should I be worried about this?
Old May 9, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
If you check your reservations on nwa.com are you and your mom the same flight number for the DTW-MEM leg? What does it show for times in each of your reservations online?
Old May 9, 2008, 7:24 am

Probably not, but check it out on nwa.com or 1-800-225-2525.
Old May 9, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I do not always get notification of flight changes even if someone else does get one. I usually book through corporate TA, maybe that's the reason.
Old May 9, 2008, 8:00 am
Original Poster

We're both on the same flight DTW-MEM.

Her updated schedule says she'll be landing 10 minutes earlier than I.

NW 283 on 8/11
Old May 9, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta Silver Elite, HiltonHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Taker Park
We're both on the same flight DTW-MEM.

Her updated schedule says she'll be landing 10 minutes earlier than I.

NW 283 on 8/11
So she's in the front of the plane, and you're in the back..... She's the mom, that's how it should be
Old May 9, 2008, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM
NEVER MIND, my answer doesn't make any sense now... They probably didn't e-mail you, but don't worry, your mom will look out for you! (Provided you're good to her on Sunday.)

It's possible that you and your mom are going to be on different flights, especially since they are on different PRNs. There could have been an A/C change, and your mom was bumped off the one flight and added to another.

My dad and I are flying out to SEA. I booked his with an award ticket, and mine with cash. Both of our itineraries are SEA-MSP-DTW-FNT. We're on the same flight from SEA-MSP, different flights from MSP-DTW and same from DTW-FNT. The flights from MSP-DTW leave within 10-15 minutes of each other, and arrive within 10-15 minutes of each other. When I bought the tickets, I didn't even realize that they were different flights. (So it's the opposite of your problem, I suppose)

NW does something with the flights between hubs, offering 2 or 3 flights with departures of 10-15 minutes of each other. It can be very confusing. I was flying with a friend from DTW-MEM a few years ago. Again, different PRNs, because she paid cash, I paid with a VDB voucher. I asked the gate agent at the later flight if I could get onto this one instead, because I was traveling with a friend. He willingly helped me out. (This was 03 or 04, before the Flynow/Standby options changed.)

Perhaps when you get to the airport that day, if you are in fact on different flights, you can plead your case with a GA. (As friendly as possible, of course!)
Old May 9, 2008, 8:21 am

Are you sure her schedule shows her arriving at a different time?

Make sure you're checking your current schedule at nwa.com, not an old e-mail/printout or the un-updated version at res.nwa.com.

My guess is that she got the notice and you didn't because her BUF-DTW flight either changed flight numbers or changed departure times by more than 10 minutes. I don't think they send e-mails if only the connecting flight changes times by just a few minutes, since you're not going to miss it if you're connecting and have the right flight number.
Old May 9, 2008, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
Are you sure her schedule shows her arriving at a different time?

Make sure you're checking your current schedule at nwa.com, not an old e-mail/printout or the un-updated version at res.nwa.com.

My guess is that she got the notice and you didn't because her BUF-DTW flight either changed flight numbers or changed departure times by more than 10 minutes. I don't think they send e-mails if only the connecting flight changes times by just a few minutes, since you're not going to miss it if you're connecting and have the right flight number.
I'll go back and check this later today, which is something I hadn't thought of.

The problem is when I go through nwa.com I have to go through two different ways in order to check her itinerary vs. mine.

But they definitely show her arriving 10 min earlier on the same flight.
Old May 9, 2008, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Taker Park
I'll go back and check this later today, which is something I hadn't thought of.

The problem is when I go through nwa.com I have to go through two different ways in order to check her itinerary vs. mine.

But they definitely show her arriving 10 min earlier on the same flight.
Make sure you're checking both by confirmation number on the www.nwa.com home page. If you booked them while logged into your WP account and look them up through the My Booking Info link on res.nwa.com, it will show the original (unchanged) schedule information.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Make sure you're checking both by confirmation number on the www.nwa.com home page. If you booked them while logged into your WP account and look them up through the My Booking Info link on res.nwa.com, it will show the original (unchanged) schedule information.
Alright...it's the same.

Thank you everyone for your help.
Old May 10, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
I'm confused- if you use view my reservations, it won't update it with the correct information? it always has for me.
Old May 12, 2008, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sany2
I'm confused- if you use view my reservations, it won't update it with the correct information? it always has for me.
If you're looking it up through the www.nwa.com server (searching by confirmation number, WP# or ticket number), it'll show the correct, updated itinerary.

If you look it up through the res.nwa.com server (which shows all flights you booked on nwa.com while logged into your WP account, regardless of whether they're your flights or a friend's or family member's), it'll show the schedule you originally booked without any subsequent changes.

This is a pretty major flaw in nwa.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.