Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

What would you do if you had to return home early from a vacation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW, MR SE,

I am hoping the brilliant minds of the NW group can help me out.
I am scheduled to go on a trip in May for just over a week but looks like I may have to return home early. Currently, I am scheduled to go DTW-XXX then YYY-DTW but I may have to come home from XXX rather than YYY by few days early.
I have checked the airfare and seat availability for returning early and they show plenty of seats available either on a non-stop or connecting through the other hub. For whatever reason, there are one-way tickets available to purchase that's relatively cheap (about 1/2 price of the current ticket that I have).
So the questions I have are:
1) Will NWA allow me to stand-by on a XXX-DTW flight while holding a YYY-DTW ticket on a different day?
2) If I was to buy the one way ticket, will NW allow me to apply the unused portion of the YYY-DTW on another ticket after the change fee is subtracted? Must the future ticket be on DTW-XXX or YYY-DTW itinerary or can it be any other trip?
Everything would be simple if the answer to #1 is yes since there seems to be lot of seats available according to the NWA seat map and Seatcounter.com either on the non-stop or connecting flights.
Your comments/suggestions will be very much appreciated, especially if there are other options.
Thank you for your help.

HJ
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: NW GE
They probably won't let you standby for a different destination on a different day (can stand by for same area airports IE, LGA instead of JFK or MDW instead of ORD) same-day, but you will almost certainly be able to buy the 1-way fare and then cancel the unused return of your original ticket for NWA credit of the cost of the ticket less the change fee.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
If you cancell the return part of your ticket they will give you that as a credit -$100. Make sure when you cancell what your new reservation is or you could get hit wiht even more fees, it is cheaper to do it all at once. They will not let you do standby on a different day.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
you will NOT be able to come back from XXX. If your return is coming back from YYY you will need to come back from YYY if you fly your outbound?

Just had the same problem flying MSP-IAH-GRU, my return was GIG-GRU-IAH-MSP, but they would not let me start in GRU, i had to fly to GIG to come right back.

You will need to rebook your flights to come back from XXX or some how get to YYY and change your ticket to an earlier day from YYY.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW, MR SE,
Will I have to wait to get the one way XXX-DTW ticket?

Since all of the responders indicate I will not be able to stand by with the YYY-DTW ticket, I will have to purchase the one-way XXX-DTW ticket and change the return portion of the ticket. Will I be able to do this before the trip starts or will I have to wait until I get to XXX?
Thank you for your response.

HJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.