Wiki Posts
Search

Is MDW safe for NW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nw Plat, Delta Dirt, Safeway Club Card, CVS Extra Care Card
Is MDW safe for NW?

CO just pulled out of MDW. I prefer that airport over O'Hare (shorter to city, easier layout, etc) Does anyone see NW following this?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Hope not. MDW is really convenient when Chicago is not your actual destination -- 2 miles to I55 & you're on way out of town. The TSA checkpoints there are very efficient.

But yes, I would not be surprised to see it happen. Except for a small # of connecting pax w/ separate tickets on WN, nothing happens at MDW that NW (and DL) couldn't also do at ORD.

And there are lounges at ORD.

One deterrent to pulling out of MDW is that WN might seek another way to get pax there from MSP (since Air Tran recently pulled out of MSP-MDW, too), and NW does not want WN at MSP.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
posted in error, never mind....

Last edited by DavidDTW; Apr 20, 2008 at 10:39 pm
Old Apr 21, 2008, 2:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I go to Chicago a lot, and personally, I can go to either airport - MDW is just a tad more convenient - 5 - 10 minutes - not enough to make a difference. For some people, it's not a question of which airport. If you live in or near Indiana, you'll use MDW - If you live in or near Wisconsin, you'll use ORD. So, I think it can be a whole different set of passengers at each airport as some who live south of the city, for example, wouldn't even consider driving to ORD and vice versa. They'd just use a different airline.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:42 am

MDW vs. ORD

I wouldn't be sad to see NW out of MDW. I prefer ORD. Strange, I know, living in Indiana. But, I find it still maddening to get to MDW at times.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I can not see them pulling totaly out, bu tthey will cut back I am sure. I knwo the MSP flights are timed so you ven get in and out of downtown, and do it all in a day. ORD is rather hard to do a quick meeting and leave, just because of the drive time.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Even though I live closer to ORD, and they have a lounge there, I would really be upset if MDW goes away for NW. I love MDW option, specifically for irregular weather operations. I find that when Im trying to get home, and ORD is closed down, MDW is still taking planes, and I can usually switch to a MDW flight at a moments notice and be home the same night rather then spending a night in DTW.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: DL, AA
For some reason, it seems like a lot of MSP traffic likes to go to MDW, and for that reason I think that NW will keep MDW.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Keep MDW

I would be peeved if NW pulled out of MDW as my office is just 5 minutes from MDW. I can leave my desk and be at the gate is less than 20minutes most days. the MDW-MSP-MDW flights that I take are always full. In fact, I have picked up three VDB vouchers since January on this route. I think NW/DL would have a marketing advantage by remaining the only legacy network carrier to service MDW.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bk42
For some reason, it seems like a lot of MSP traffic likes to go to MDW, and for that reason I think that NW will keep MDW.
ORD/MDW are right on the borderline of where flying becomes more convenient than driving for a lot of people. Anything closer to MSP than ORD is drivable. Anything further than MDW from MSP is not really drivable. MKE also competes with ORD to the north (like MDW does to the south) and is an option for the north burbs.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
MDW is much more convenient to reach the South Side... where I have a bunch of family. Did MDW on NW last year (DTW-MDW-MSP) and ORD (SEA-ORD-SEA) on AS, and the MDW was much easier for my family to get to, and there are some great restaurants on Cicero! I really would like to see AS add service to MDW too... but with it being nearly a WN fortress its hard to draw traffic... since much of the public assumes its cheaper to fly WN...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.