Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Loss of the Northwest name (ltd to this topic, not takeover)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There are many aspects of the Delta takeover of Northwest which are discussed elsewhere. How about the narrow topic of the loss of the Northwest name.

I regret to see the loss of the Northwest name. Sounds nice. Livery has always been good (you can debate whether it's outstanding or not, but all the liveries of NW have always been very pleasant and businesslike).

Doesn't Delta have stains to their reputation? Like having high fares in the South and (subject to argument) thrusting the last knife into Pan Am? With the Delta name, the airline name will be just a commodity to me. With Northwest, even if I was in a long delay, I'd think "at least the plane looks sleek and the name sounds nice".

Continental is also a nice name but United isn't bad either.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
I have to agree with the OP on this one... I think the NW livery is very clean and has always been very unique, especially the one just prior to the current silver - although I do enjoy the current livery very much, too. They've kept is up-to-date with the style of the time for the most part while also not cluttering it up or changing it around a bunch... cough, early-2000s-Delta, cough.

It will be a very sad day to see the NW DC9's and 330's and 747's in Delta colors.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Why not make a clean break? There are dozens of perfectly good names that haven't even been tried yet. I propose "Usonian Airlines" or "Dymaxion Airlines"

There would be endless opportunities for super-cool logos, liveries and designs.

I'm having a Buckminster Lloyd Wright day.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:46 pm

Going have to remember to take some photos of those silver NWA 747s parked at the gate by the fountains at DTW while we still can. That's always a beautiful shot from inside the terminal.

But the DC-9s will come full circle for Delta.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
There is a lot of history behind the Northwest (Orient) name...sad to see it go. Not so much for Delta. I also would like to see them keep NW around.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
There is a lot of history behind the Northwest (Orient) name...sad to see it go. Not so much for Delta. I also would like to see them keep NW around.
Northwest is a better name with more international recognition going back decades. Since international operations are more profitable than domestic ops, retaining NW name and/or colours would be of benefit to the merged airline.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Northwest is a better name with more international recognition going back decades. Since international operations are more profitable than domestic ops, retaining NW name and/or colours would be of benefit to the merged airline.
interesting thread... I previously suggested Delta for domestic and Northwest for international... must like United & Ted or Delta & Song... ot Air Canada & Jazz... etc
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by stdatwmu
It will be a very sad day to see the NW DC9's and 330's and 747's in Delta colors.
Are the DC-9s even worth repainting?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Delta and its name go back to 1928. How can you claim it doesnt have its own valued history? Personally think a new name might have been easier all around, but of of the two, I ok with it being delta.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 797-3
Doesn't Delta have stains to their reputation? Like having high fares in the South and (subject to argument) thrusting the last knife into Pan Am? With the Delta name, the airline name will be just a commodity to me. With Northwest, even if I was in a long delay, I'd think "at least the plane looks sleek and the name sounds nice".
It's ironic that your accuse DL of high fares in the south, when NW is certainly guilty of that in the 'Heartland.'

DL did thrust the last knife in PA, but the airline was practically dead so it didn't take much.

Overall, Northwest is a very regional name, albeit one with good recognition in Asia. On the other hand, Delta is more universally translated and, although originally derived from the Mississippi Delta, also means 'change.'
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:47 pm

I have a book about the history of the American aviation indusdry, and Northwest is only mentioned in connection to the D.B. Cooper hijacking.

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by sxf24
Overall, Northwest is a very regional name, albeit one with good recognition in Asia. On the other hand, Delta is more universally translated and, although originally derived from the Mississippi Delta, also means 'change.'
Sorry but are you on hard drugs?! Northwest is no more regional than British Airways or Air France or Thai or Singapore Airlines.

Delta is completely generic: there are dozens of companies with Delta in their name - including (but not limited to) Delta Hotels, Delta Faucets, Delta controls and a town in British Columbia.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:56 pm

the DC-9's should be painted in skull and bones livery, because the graveyard is where they should go. followed soon by the md-80's. im not hating or anything, but northwest does have one of the world's oldest fleets and it would be nice to have some extra $ around to replace those ancient beasts.@:-)
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by sxf24
Delta is more universally translated and, although originally derived from the Mississippi Delta, also means 'change.'
It's also a wing shape, but unfortunately I don't think any airlines are flying planes with it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Northeast and Northwest together at last.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.