Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best coach seats trans-atlantic?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Post best coach seats trans-atlantic?

I will be flying MEM-AMS in coach (egads!), travelling with a friend. Are exit row seats 29 H-J good? Am I better to select 17 A-B?

Also, any chance of upgrades on the Int'l legs? Gold elite?

Thanks for your help!

Beth
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:19 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Beth,

First, welcome to FT!!!!!

You will probably get a better response in the AA forum.

Also, check out seatguru.com for info as well.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:24 pm

seatexpert.com may be helpful too. Good luck and bon voyage!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the welcome! I have been reading for a while, but this is my first post. What is "AA forum"?

I will be flying Northwest. I have not traveled Trans-Atlantic in coach in 10 years! Yikes, I am dreading it!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, B_FinZ_Up. If you scroll down from the top of the www.flyertalk.com/forum page, you will see a section called "Airline Programs." There you will find a list of airline programs, including Northwest.
As you have indicated that your question is about NW, I am going to move this thread to the NW Forum. Please continue to follow there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
I may only be repeating information that you can easily find at seatguru.com, but many people have complained that the exit seats on 330s can be very cold. I avoid them, preferring any aisle seat. The window seats on 330s have a box stowed under the seat in front of yours which contains the electronics for the audio video screen at your seat, but the box severely reduces your legroom. The nice, tall lady sitting next me in 20j had to move to an empty aisle seat because she simply had no leg room. Glad the flight was half-empty.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Going to AMS, I will settle for an aisle seat (window side of aisle) if I can't get an exit seat.

Going to the US, I much prefer an exit seat: row 10 before 29. I much prefer the galley proximity than the restroom . I do not find the seats cold at all, and if a bit drafty, a blanket does the trick.

BTW, search for TATL, A333, coach... and you will get loads of opinions.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: EVA Infinity Delta Skymiles
seat choice

I have used seatguru.com as a guide for seat selection. I have found the info very accurate so give that website a try. It has all the plane configurations for NWA plus everyone one else that I can think of.

TG
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Personally I prefer aisle seats in the forward center part of the cabin. You get in-seat power, an extra inch of pitch, and being in the center section, if the flight is not full, you have a greater chance of having an empty seat next to you! I used to prefer the aisle of the pair of seats on the edges, but always found the window seats to be taken (nobody likes "middle" seats).
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My favorites are 29 AB or HJ. Yes, it is cold and the seats are narrower (trays are in the arm rests). There is not raft, so the exit door does not protrude as much as in row 10. There is four feet of leg room. I usually put a small bag on the floor to rest my feet on (covering it with my fleece blanket that I carry) so I have a foot rest. You are near the lavs (I consider it a plus not to be stuck in my seat while carts are blocking the aisle, but then I'm an old woman.) I sit in the aisle, my traveling companion has the window (which has no window). He doesn't disturb me when he gets up.

There are trade offs: the seats are not perfect, but when you consider that no one is reclining their seat in your lap, it's worth it.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>> will be flying MEM-AMS in coach (egads!), travelling with a friend. Are exit row seats 29 H-J good? Am I better to select 17 A-B?

Egad! People are trying to steer you away from 29ab or 29hj? They must be on your flight and you have already nailed down these perfect sleeping seats and they want them bad!!! Cold? I've been flying eastbound TATL in 29A regularly and I can't ever remember being cold. But maybe that's because I'm fast asleep. My last trip I slept a solid five hours from dinner tray pick-up to "seats in an upright position". Nice and dark. Unlimited legroom with nice carpeting. Best seats on the plane unless you want to plug in a laptop and par-tay all night (if you need power and not sleep, do row 17).
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Excellent feedback. seatguru site is great as well!

Thanks,

Beth
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Silver
In the annoucement at top of forum...

...you can find a link is to this Master A333 best seats thread.

The exit row seats are definitely the bests.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by B_FinZ_Up
I will be flying MEM-AMS in coach (egads!), travelling with a friend. Are exit row seats 29 H-J good? Am I better to select 17 A-B?

Also, any chance of upgrades on the Int'l legs? Gold elite?

Thanks for your help!

Beth
10 and 29, first choice, hands down. I like the HJ side better than the A side because you don't have to contend with all of the people during boarding. If you're in these seats, make sure to board early, because your overhead space is very limited...it'd be a shame to have the first seat, but have to wait to deplane because you needed to put your luggage several rows back.

10J does have the slide in front of it. You can still stretch out, but at a funny angle.

If you sit in the center 4, the middle two seats have the video box beneath the seats...the aisle seats don't.

Last edited by Fredgoblu; Jan 24, 2008 at 1:31 pm Reason: Woops...fast fingers...
Old Jan 24, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Fredgoblu
If you sit in the center 4, the middle two seats have the video box beneath the seats...the aisle seats don't.
The aisle seats have a box, but it takes up less space, running the parallel to the aisle rather than perpendicular as with the middle seats. Take it from a guy with large feet, it does sometimes get in the way

Me, if they had a AVOD-less section with no boxes I'd take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.