Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was this one of you?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Was this one of you?

I was working as the lead flight attendant on a flight from Detroit to Flint...flying time is 18 minutes. The gate agent has informed me that it is a full flight, with a waitlist of 18 passengers for an already full first class. Boarding is almost complete. As I am standing in the aisle attempting to deliver pre-departure beverages, a nicely attired businessman boards the aircraft and begins scrounging in the first class overhead bins looking for a place to put his bags. I inform him that if he will give me a minute to deliver the drinks, I will attempt to help him find a spot for his bags, "I assume you are sitting in 4A", the last open seat in first class. He says "NO, I am sitting in the back". "Well, I am sorry sir, but you will have to put your bags in the back, as I need to save any remaing space I can find for the first class customer." He loudly exclaims...."I guess being platinum doesn't mean sh**."
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Not me

My mom and grandma (95) would kill me. Why do people think they are entitled when 1st class is basically a gift from NWA. That person needs a spanking.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: NW Platinum, back to DL base awaiting the eventual elevation to DL PM
Chances are the jerk won't own up to it if he is on here. Good for you for protecting first class overhead space!!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>>He loudly exclaims...."I guess being platinum doesn't mean sh**."

Thanks to him, yes.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by USF03
Chances are the jerk won't own up to it if he is on here. Good for you for protecting first class overhead space!!
If you read through the pages upon pages of NW FT'ers spouting off about how much we dislike both that behaviour as well as that move in particular, it is hard to believe it was one of us. Why would the OP think for a moment it could be?

BTW, I am already EUA'f for Fridays BOS-MSP-SFO flights and you can bet I will be in 1B enjoying an adult beverage long before there is a fight for overhead space
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around! I guess there are even a few egotistical as****es that manage to make their way to the Elite tiers, even all the way to PE.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
I LOLed!! Now, if that FA, with the manifest, has a CSR friend, then .. well .. it's only a matter of time: "My EUAs & back-row 1K milers *NEVER* come thru any more!!"
/.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Wow, what a jerk
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by dtwnwa
He loudly exclaims...."I guess being platinum doesn't mean ...."
Welcome to FT....

wasn't me... we make that flight often and for 18 minutes in the air it doesn't much matter where you sit....

and this guy is clearly not as smart as he acts.... I'd be upset if my bag wasn't where I could keep my eye on it when the plane unloads...... all I need is someone else to take it and not realize it's the wrong one.

Bob H
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:37 am
Suspended

Platinum does mean ****. It means we get upgraded on NW quite a bit domestically and when we do we enjoy having space for our bags in the overhead bin. Sadly, traveling a lot does not always equate to maturity.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BobH
and this guy is clearly not as smart as he acts.... I'd be upset if my bag wasn't where I could keep my eye on it when the plane unloads...... all I need is someone else to take it and not realize it's the wrong one.

Bob H
My thoughts exactly. If I'm sitting in back, the LAST place I want my bag is in a FC overhead bin.

I have always been amazed when I see these self-important (and not too bright) jerks who put their bags in a bin right above row 5, and then proceed back to row 37. And then of course they would be the first ones to complain if: (1) their bag was accidently removed by someone while they were 30+ rows back and unable to monitor it, or (2) deplaning takes longer, because the guy in row 5 had to put his bag in the bin above row 37....
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:06 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was working as the lead flight attendant on a flight from Detroit to Flint...flying time is 18 minutes. The gate agent has informed me that it is a full flight, with a waitlist of 18 passengers for an already full first class. Boarding is almost complete. As I am standing in the aisle attempting to deliver pre-departure beverages, a nicely attired businessman boards the aircraft and begins scrounging in the first class overhead bins looking for a place to put his bags. I inform him that if he will give me a minute to deliver the drinks, I will attempt to help him find a spot for his bags, "I assume you are sitting in 4A", the last open seat in first class. He says "NO, I am sitting in the back". "Well, I am sorry sir, but you will have to put your bags in the back, as I need to save any remaing space I can find for the first class customer." He loudly exclaims...."I guess being platinum doesn't mean sh**."
Probably the same guy that insists on getting on first during boarding to put two bags in the overhead bin; one of my biggest pet-peave.

Great story..

I was second on the plane in 4A; the first person in was sitting in 4B. He put two bags up in the overhead bin. Sure enough the last person on has no place for his bags. The person next to me acts like nothing is going on. I told him that if he was willing to take one down, which is what he should have done from the beginning, this last person would have a place for his bag. He gets upset but finally in a mad tone says I’m correct and will take the one bag down. Now everybody has a place for their bags. He starts to talk to me implying it is none of my business. I inform him I’m in 4A and if he does not shut up I’ going to use the bathroom as soon as the wheels are up and go every five minutes.. Guess what he stopped talking.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
No self respecting flyertalker would want the upgrade on an 18 minute flight. 1,000 bonus miles are worth more than a short hop upgrade...
Old Jan 20, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
No self respecting flyertalker would want the upgrade on an 18 minute flight. 1,000 bonus miles are worth more than a short hop upgrade...
Right you are. Now that I have made Plat, I keep hoping to miss the UG and get the 1,000 miles on my frequent 20-minute flights between RST and MSP. Alas, the UG always seems to process on the first pass....
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:06 am
Suspended

I commend you for standing up to a jerk. I hope other pax in the front expressed their support for you. Many FA's either don't see what's going on or choose to ignore it when people not seated in FC store their belongings in the overhead bins in FC on their way to their seat in the back. It is very inconsiderate of them. Thank you once again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.