Wiki Posts
Search

Circle trip question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Circle trip question

I tried booking an award trip NYC-BCN-CAI-NYC, after calling the agent told me that since this is a "circle trip" I can't do it on miles. I thought I was allowed a free stopover on the way...

Doing a search on circle trip yielded no good results...
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>>I tried booking an award trip NYC-BCN-CAI-NYC, after calling the agent told me that since this is a "circle trip" I can't do it on miles. I thought I was allowed a free stopover on the way...

It's probably that if you are looking at a round-trip from NYC to CAI that BCN is not a "connecting city" listed in the "routing"--in fact it is quite out of the way considering NWA hubs and acceptable ways of getting a round-trip to Cairo.

"Circle trip" means three segments. Not just two segments with a stop along the way. And award trips are good only for a round-trip with a stop, not three trips.

If you absolutely want to go to Barcelona, then it will be considered the first outbound destination, not a stop (it is without-a-doubt not in the acceptable "routings" to Cairo because you would have to double-back to a NWA hub like PAR or MXP in order to continue the trip on to Cairo). What you can TRY to do is book an "open-jaw" from NYC to BCN, and the a CAI-NYC return, and try to find a reasonably cheap way to get from BCN to CAI on a separate ticket.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Have you tried booking the award through nwa.com? I see lots of itins fitting your routing.

Nevermind, I see the routing, but once you try to book it says call the help desk.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpinzCity
>>>>>>>I tried booking an award trip NYC-BCN-CAI-NYC, after calling the agent told me that since this is a "circle trip" I can't do it on miles. I thought I was allowed a free stopover on the way...

It's probably that if you are looking at a round-trip from NYC to CAI that BCN is not a "connecting city" listed in the "routing"--in fact it is quite out of the way considering NWA hubs and acceptable ways of getting a round-trip to Cairo.

"Circle trip" means three segments. Not just two segments with a stop along the way. And award trips are good only for a round-trip with a stop, not three trips.

If you absolutely want to go to Barcelona, then it will be considered the first outbound destination, not a stop (it is without-a-doubt not in the acceptable "routings" to Cairo because you would have to double-back to a NWA hub like PAR or MXP in order to continue the trip on to Cairo). What you can TRY to do is book an "open-jaw" from NYC to BCN, and the a CAI-NYC return, and try to find a reasonably cheap way to get from BCN to CAI on a separate ticket.
Thanks it appears that this is exactly what's happening. I tried for a stopover at CDG instead of BCN, but the agent said that I'd have to be flying AF in order to have CDG be an allowed stop, and AF had no availability... so I can't fly NYC-CDG-CAI-NYC on NW/KL because it's not part of the routing. grrr.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: NW GE
Why not book NYC-AMS-stopover(AMS-BCN-AMS cheapo airline)-CAI-AMS-NYC?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lyaec350
Why not book NYC-AMS-stopover(AMS-BCN-AMS cheapo airline)-CAI-AMS-NYC?
That's definitely an option. My main reason against it is that the AMS-CAI flight arrives at 2am, and the CAI-AMS flight leaves at 4am. AF has much nicer arrival / return times.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Circle trip awards are only allowed within the Continental U.S. and between the Continental U.S. and Alaska/Canada.

Free stopovers on awards are only permitted in NorthWest or partner hubs.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Circle trip awards are only allowed within the Continental U.S. and between the Continental U.S. and Alaska/Canada.

Free stopovers on awards are only permitted in NorthWest or partner hubs.
Yes, but CDG is a partner hub, yet you can only have a stopover there if you fly AF. It appears that you cannot have a stopover at CDG if you fly NW/KL. While that makes sense (it wouldn't really be a stopover on NW), it's still not obvious. Live & learn.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
UX (Air Europa) has a hub at BCN, so you might be able to take advantage of that to get your free stopover.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Orion316
Yes, but CDG is a partner hub, yet you can only have a stopover there if you fly AF. It appears that you cannot have a stopover at CDG if you fly NW/KL. While that makes sense (it wouldn't really be a stopover on NW), it's still not obvious. Live & learn.
I really doubt that's the case! It's certainly not mentioned anywhere in the rules. I would call back and try another agent. I booked an award flight HNL - EWR(on CO) - AMS(on NW) with a stopover in EWR. Initially I was told "no way" but I asked the agent to consult with a supervisor and it got done. You CAN fly NW to CDG and connect to an AF flight to CAI, so you should be able to have a stopover there. Try again; it can't hurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.