Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi Access in MSP Terminals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Wi-Fi Access in MSP Terminals

802.11b wireless access is now up and running in most of the terminals at MSP. It works in the hallways and lounges, no need to appear at a kiosk.

The service was free during December when they were debugging the network, but now the normal $7 per day charge has kicked in. You have to enter your VISA card number on the opening page to initiate service.

The service appears to be sponsored by the airport authority that runs MSP and is not affiliated with any of the national ISPs like T-Mobile.

I asked at MSP's Northwest Worldclub if members obtain access free with membership. Answer was "No, and no plans to offer it..."

The service provider's home page mentions introductory promotional coupons for 1 day free service. Have any of you seen these coupons?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
I saw the info on the MSP website about the service however have not tried it yet. I tried in DEN a couple of weeks ago however could not figure out the signup page.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 8:42 pm

When they first installed wi-fi at MSP about 2 years ago they had free access to a few sites including CNN. But as of last time I tried it (a couple months ago), there was no way to use it without paying. Alas.

I'm pretty sure DTW just put in Wi-fi, too (as of a couple weeks ago), and it has more flexibility in terms of how you pay.

Too bad neither is free, though. The only airport I know with free service right now is MLI (good old Moline!). ORD used to have accidental free Wi-fi (about 4 years ago, when they had installed the equipment but hadn't told the Laptop Lane employees how to charge for it yet) in the United terminal, but that's gone now, too.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:47 pm

Lansing, Michigan has free Wi-Fi access in their airport.

http://www.flylansing.com/airport_in...ss_center.html
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
The Alaska Boardrooms in SEA and PDX have free Wi-Fi or fixed ports in their clubs!

It's great. I wish NWA would consider this enhancement for their clubs.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Silver
FYI...Dothan AL (DHN) has a small "business center" located next to the ticket counters with free wired Internet. Trust me, the airport is so small you don't need wireless...it's a 15 second walk from the business center to the security checkpoint, and 5 seconds from there to the gate.

Also, Knoxville TN (TYS) has T-Mobile HotSpot wireless throughout its concourse.

Still haven't found any wireless access here at MEM though...but I remain hopeful.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

H2O_Goalie, I remain hopeful that y'all get a new airport.

You Memphians need more capital improvements at your airport than just Wi-Fi.

One man's opinion...
Old Feb 1, 2004, 12:55 am

Programs: NW Plat
DTW was free for me in November, but now whacks you for 6.95. It's the same service that MSP has.

I love that the Alaska Boardroom has it FREE, wish I did more north-south than SEA to the godforsaken northern tier.

What I REALLY hate is that the S satellite of SEA has Boingo for $7, then if you fly to MSP or DTW, you have to pay an additional $7. All of this while sitting in Worldclubs. I've given up and just to freakin' dialup. Worldclubs should DEFINITELY get a program together.

Footnote: the Idaho Falls airport offers free WiFi throughout. Go figger, any of you who lives in a high tech mecca.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phil2bin:
DTW was free for me in November, but now whacks you for 6.95. It's the same service that MSP has.
</font>
You might want to try going into the Westin while at DTW as I believe they may have a
cheaper hourly option. I'll be in the airport this Friday and intend to give this a try.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
The most cost effective way I have found is to Join i2roam at www.i2roam.com for $49.95 and then pay the .14 per minute charge. This works for both airports and writed hotel rooms. Look at the site for the list. The one and only problem I have had is at MSP is that must logoff the i2roam system not just shutdown your computer or you will be charge about an extra 15 minutes. They have great suppport.

------------------
NW Gold 88-94 Plat 95-04 Mmile, Marriot Gold 94-2004
Old Feb 1, 2004, 7:15 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimolson:
H2O_Goalie, I remain hopeful that y'all get a new airport.

You Memphians need more capital improvements at your airport than just Wi-Fi.

One man's opinion...
</font>
God, you're telling me. IMO it's not as bad as some places (NW gates at DCA), but sadly lacking. I wouldn't hold my breath though...Memphis city gov't. is lucky if it can stay out of its own way, let alone actually accomplish anything productive. I wouldn't count on much in the way of capital improvements...but WiFi is pretty cheap (and easy) to install. Maybe they'll see the light.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
The per day fees are outrageous, especially if you can't "move" that daily access as you travel.

If you have (and pay for) a monthly T-Mobile account, you can get wi-fi without additional payment in the public terminal areas immediately adjacent to many Admiral and Crown Rooms throughout the country, as well as off-airport Starbucks in thousands of places. (Off airport, the Starbucks set-up usually works in the parking lot, if you don't want to feel like you should buy a coffee inside.)

To cut the cost of T-Mobile, just pass the account name and password around among your colleagues. We keep one account for my small company. (Only one person can be logged in at once.)

The only on-airport Starbucks with wireless I have seen is in Louisville. I asked at MSP and the answer was no.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:23 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Another source for WiFi is AirTran.
Look for the AirTran gates and they have it provide by AirPath.
The AirTran gate in MKE is next to the WC, so I use it when I am there.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM SPG-plat
For those of you who have WorldClub memberships: if you are in an airport with a Continental Presidents Club (free access for WorldClub members), all of CO's Presidents Clubs will have complimentary WiFi by the end of 2004 according to Continental's press release of January 26. Currently up and running at CO's hubs (according to the press release -- I haven't tried them yet): Houston, Newark, and Cleveland.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 4:20 pm

Location: Omaha, NE NW Plat, DL Gold, CO Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Used the wifi in Presidents club on Tuesday in IAH, works great!!!!!!

Wish NW would step up with free access like CO has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.