Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Something I haven't seen at DL in a while..real people helping during bad weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Something I haven't seen at DL in a while..real people helping during bad weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

I was "stranded" in DAY today because of bad weather. Ice storm, snow then bad fog.

Most flights from all airlines delayed or canceled. DL PAX were scrambling for kiosks and phones.

NW had extra agents at gate to help and several people at TKT counter.

Thank you NW for caring about your passengers!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
mikey1003, glad you still like it here.

It would be interesting to hear how satified are some other flyers who switched to NWA recently.

Guys, after flying NWA for some time now, would you still switch to NWA again (given the experience you have now)?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:35 pm

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
Fellas, I had a great time on NWA. They had a problem with an engine 3 months ago and did not hesitate to let people off the plane while it was at the gate to jump on flights surrounding the BWI area. At the desk they were very friendly and tolerant.

I jumped from DL too.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:40 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
'Nother Delta refugee here.

We are thrilled by the superiority of the NW schedule for us out of LEX, the awesome terminal at DTW, the continuation of decent inflight FC food and service, the quality of WorldClubs, and the great service from most ground and air personel. (Couple of stinkers in 75,000 miles).

Keep up the good work!

My only plea is to keep the ARJs. Charge us more, please! I will pay it! ARJs rule!

------------------
"It was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity..."
Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:44 pm
GG

Jano, LOL! Yeah, I guess we still like NW, hahahahahaha... oops. Getting a little carried away there.

We are very happy with NW. So far I've not seen much difference between our previous Gold status and our (ahhem! pay attention here guys!) finally earned Platinum. Our upgrades now happen earlier. Maybe in the crunch it will help. I'm not sweating it.

We did have one coach flight as Golds DTW-PHX which reminded me of why we work hard to make status to NOT be in coach, but otherwise life
on NW has been good. We've had a slew of wonderful FAs - as good as any we ever had anywhere - and lots of fine folks in other jobs. A few "nyyncks" - less than good but not worth fussing about. We had plenty of those on DL too, whatever the PC form on that forum is, especially the GAs in ATL. Wow, is that one airport I love not flying through, although I do miss some of the great CRC folks we'd gotten to know.

But we're getting to know a lot of the WorldClub folks in DTW and lately MSP. Maybe it's just that we tend to bubble a bit about NW while showing our DL Platinum cards that the agents seem to like us, but we've always been nicely treated. (If the hands on the clocks change color sometime before too long, thank Lex, btw.)

Now if they could just make up their minds about this damaged bag of mine, I'd be happy (but still, two damages bags in a 9 months, beats DL by far).

mikey - One of my worst fears was telling people how great NW was, and then having them have a very different (ie bad) experiences. Happy for you that so far so good!

------------------
email on profile
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:20 pm
azj

LEX - if I had to venture a guess, I'd say the avros are staying. Not because I know anymore than the rest of us, but because of a few things. We're hiring (to cover increased summer flying and to cover the increase in personnel needed as a result of our tentative agreement). It is also going to cost NW and XJ TONS of money to park them... and to park them in June, at the beginning of the summer? There is also nothing to replace that capasity, since it seems all 40 CRJs to be delivered this year will be for expansion into new markets and filling in the gaps throughout the system.

BTW - as of the summer schedule 6 LEX-DTW are in the system. 3 avros, 2 saabs and a CRJ. In addition to the MEM saabs.

AZJ
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
I'm a DL refugee. I'd switch to NW all over again. Its been great so far. I've been able to get better prices, better service, better planes, etc.

fp
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:39 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Count me in as well. NWA has been great in so many ways. Even as Silver I still have a very good upgrade rate as long as I avoid the Airbus 319/320's. I love the DC-9 and ARJ's here at Cincy but must admit that I'm seeing more 9E CRJ's than when I stated flying NWA. My favorite thing is actually being able to standby for a flight without being made to feel as if I was some evil devil.

For international coach, give me a DC-10 anytime over any of Delta's Boeings and I will be trying the A330 to FRA next week to see how that is.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:26 am

Location: GSP DL 4MM/PM/FC, US Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Gold
Count me in as a happy convertee as well. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CVGHostage:
Count me in as well. NWA has been great in so many ways. Even as Silver I still have a very good upgrade rate as long as I avoid the Airbus 319/320's. I love the DC-9 and ARJ's here at Cincy but must admit that I'm seeing more 9E CRJ's than when I stated flying NWA. My favorite thing is actually being able to standby for a flight without being made to feel as if I was some evil devil.

For international coach, give me a DC-10 anytime over any of Delta's Boeings and I will be trying the A330 to FRA next week to see how that is.
</font>
What happened with the A319/320 and upgrades? I have had great luck with those birds.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:51 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
converted from DL last year...

Schedules are better at Delta

Food and in flight service have been better at NWA

Planes are about the same. I found that I am enjoying having no IFE. You don't have that same stupid show in front of your face all month long. I'm reading more and listening to my own tunes on my portable jukebox

Upgrades have been easy - Have been in coach exactly once (which is about the same as DL coach - lousy)

Unfortunately, I did not get enough miles in during 2003 to keep gold for 2004 after February. I'll be silver for a while and I suspect I'll be back to Gold by about May.

I haven't regretted the move and the only DL flying I'm doing this year is burning miles. DL has provdied some give backs, but I was already done with them.

I'm glad to see mikey, Lex, GG et al also staying with NWA. good choice
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
I'm a diehard AA fan, but in my opinion, NW handles rebooking of passengers after cancellations far more effectively. On AA, I usually have to do the legwork myself -- on NW, the usual answer is "yes Mr. Snorkmaster, we already have you confirmed on flight such-and-such...in First."
Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:55 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Count me in as part of the love fest. Besides, with the semi-alliance with DL, we don't really have to totally leave them anyway
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:26 pm

As another CVG hostage, but one that only generally flies enough to be silver, I love the ability to get upgraded. Love it. Can't say enough about it.

It's a real trade off for me compared to the fact that I was flying everywhere direct back when I was a DL silver. I have to devote a LOT more TIME to travels most of the time. But I couldn't even use my measly 4 upgrade points on DL the one year I was silver. Everybody and their brother here is Platinum.I know I've commented more extensively on NW vs. DL another similar thread or two if anyone wants more detail.

I defected a year, I think -- maybe 2? -- before Lex, GG, and Mikey. I came to love NW; they've always treated me very well. I even came to love the tiny little terminal they flew out of here. I actually resent the fact that I have to go through the DL gauntlet here now.

Ah well, there's always DAY.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:48 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
I'm staying too. (although I'll put a smiley face after that if they resolve this little dispute we're having over pulling my gold status next month due to the fact that I ONLY flew 31,000 miles during October and November after they comped me from DL Platinum and I've ONLY flown 10,800 so far in January with another 22,000 booked for the first quarter of this year....geez, what's a person have to do to prove road warrior!!)
But that's a different post....
I'm still pleased with NW for all the reasons others have mentioned. I miss the hot towels in DL, but sure enjoyed the clean towels in the DTW WorldClub Showers!!! last week after the red-eye out of LAS.
The food - no comparison. NW beats DL like a 3 star restaurant beats vending machine (really, does anyone else find it offensive to be served a dessert in first class that comes in a cellophane pouch?)
Enjoy the board here too. I'm finally out of the habit of checking the DL board before the NW board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.