Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

42 miles short... Here's how I'm getting it in by 12/31

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Well, my planned travels left me 42 miles short of my lowly silver this year. Took forever to post my last flight to find out the total too. So here's how I'm managing this one.

I live in Cincinnati. On 12/31, I'm driving my car to Dayton and boarding a DL commuter flight to Cincinnati. Spouse will pick me up at the airport so we can have our usual New Years festivities. On 1/1, he will take me back to the airport and I will fly back to Dayton to pick up my car.

Well, at least I'm going to be 500 miles toward requalification for next year when I finish this trip! Happy new year, fellow NW flyers!
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
glad to hear - have a safe New Year's

aloha
Old Dec 30, 2003, 10:05 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
It's called the "Les Nessman Special".

Congrats to you on requalifying!
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:04 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
It's called the "Les Nessman Special".</font>
Here's hoping the FRJ is a little better than having to flap my arms. Thanks for the great laugh, Lex! And Happy New Year!

BTW, I looked at SDF and LEX, but LEX had nothing and SDF wasn't enough less expensive to make up for 2x the drive. This will be my first DL (albeit connection) flight that I've paid for in over a year!

(Edit: darn UBB!)

[This message has been edited by HollyHP (edited Dec 31, 2003).]
Old Dec 31, 2003, 1:27 pm

Programs: NWA-Silver; Hilton-Gold, AAdvantage-junkie
I needed 1567 more miles to maintain my elite status. I took a one day, one hour layover trip between MSP and ATL for the bargin price of $178.

On the return flight I discovered that there were three of us making the same milage run.

[This message has been edited by Timothy in MN (edited Dec 31, 2003).]
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Timothy in MN:
I needed 1567 more miles to maintain my elite status. I took a one day, one hour layover trip between MSP and ATL for the bargin price of $178.

On the return flight I discovered that there were three of us making the same milage run.

[This message has been edited by Timothy in MN (edited Dec 31, 2003).]
</font>
I flew this same route this morning (but without the overnight layover - I did a one hour turnaround in the airport). After landing in ATL, I discovered that there were 5 of us making the same mileage run.

Off to welcome in the NY. Happy New Year.

Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
This is all so silly.

The airlines could save a bit of money, or actually make money if you were allowed to just show up at the airport,surrender your seat and ticket and go home.

Instead you have to actually fly the flight, drink their fancy water and cookies and fly back.

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited Dec 31, 2003).]
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:30 pm

Happy New Year!

On Tuesday, 12/30, there was no fewer then five of us making the immediate turnaround on DTW-MDW-DTW. What made the situation worse is we had a mechanical in Detroit, they found us a new aircraft immediately - however, this resulted in the turnaround in MDW to shrink down to just a matter of minutes. The female F/A couldn't believe it when she saw my blue and orange Gators sweatshirt again..."I just don't understand this! What is up with you guys today!" As a CO Silver I received the upgrade outbound without a problem, but I was in the bulkhead window for the return. I inquired about the upgrade after stepping off the jetway in Chicago - "at least half this aircraft is elite. Sorry..." Upon elite boarding and first class, no fewer then 75% of the gate area stoodup. Funny how I'm always the first passenger onboard in Cleveland when they do the same thing!
Old Jan 1, 2004, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Its nice to see that many people actually did the last minute flying to earn/maintain status instead of the several "i'm XXX miles short, will they give it to me anyway" threads that have been posted lately.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 7:53 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geoffco:
Its nice to see that many people actually did the last minute flying to earn/maintain status instead of the several "i'm XXX miles short, will they give it to me anyway" threads that have been posted lately.</font>
Well, I had no prayer of waivers or favors this year. I've been silver for three years, but while prior years have included nice high fare international travel, my employer put the kibosh on travel entirely this year, so my 24,948 were on fairly low fares. Besides, I like to fly, so while my trip was completely stupid (took longer to get through security in CVG than the flight to DAY!), I didn't mind.

It's depressing today though. Since DL miles don't post all that quickly (I think I've read about 2 weeks on this board?), my online record shows Silver through February and BASE in March.

Side notes on this trip: I did the Crown Rooom Club since my baby flight left from the A gates (where NW flights are now in CVG) instead of the "bus gates" in C. Crown Room in A is nicely decorated and was all but deserted. Shame that the reciprocal isn't going to let us use our WorldClub membership there when flying on NW tix given that NW is using those gates. They had one staff member as it was so slow. He told me he'd heard and read that a lot of travel that was taking place the last week of December was for requalification.

My flights were on ACA rather than Comair. On the CVG-DAY flight, I sat close to the front and talked to the FA for most of the flight. He was telling me that ACA is finalizing its plans to turn itself into an LCC on the east coast. He told me they would be flying Airbuses (319s and 320s)with a configuration similar to JetBlue. He said they are still working on the list of cities they'll service; he was non-committal about CVG but was nearly positive they'd fly out of DAY.

12/31 was actually a fairly busy flying day from what I can see, but 1/1 definitely was not. Something to keep in mind for future mileage runs.

This was, I think, an "anti-mileage run" in a way since I was going for the quickest trip given that I needed so few miles.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:35 am
Original Poster

For anyone "keeping score" on DL posting times, both of my flights (12/31 and 1/1) posted overnight and were visible this morning. That's 2 days from the return flight -- pretty much as quick as regular NW flights post!

I had booked this flight on Orbitz as I was using their feature where you say you want to take a trip of a particular length between two cities within a group of dates. Orbitz had both my Skymiles (yes, I still have one) and WorldPerks numbers, but because the flight was on a DL coded flight, it defaulted to the Skymiles number. I edited and blanked it out, but couldn't find a way to put the WP# in there. So I emailed Orbitz and asked them to do it.

I checked in on the Song site (Orbitz gives you the carrier's record locator too so that was no problem), but the WP# didn't print on the boarding pass. Consequently, I had the gate agent in DAY put it on the PNR. It did print for the online checkin on the return flight.

This posting was also faster than my last CO posting, but even though I made that reservation on a NW ticket, my WP# must not have made it onto the CO PNR because it didn't print on the boarding passes. So once again, the key for partner posting is to make sure that WP# shows up on the boarding passes for fastest posting.

Safe flights all! And happy qualifying for 2005.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.