Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW in DC - IAD or DCA? Any Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW in DC - IAD or DCA? Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
Not applicable since you're renting a car, but DCA is convenient if you want to take the Metro into DC.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: PM - Delta, Hilton - Diamond
OP already said he's flying into DCA, but I'll throw in my two cents

I have flown in and out of both airports many, many times, but (as you might guess from the handle) I prefer DCA.

At the NW terminal (in the original building), you can be from the entrance to the gate in a very quick walk. Security is quick. Only downsides are the previously mentioned:

- DCA worldclub kind of dingy and before security
- DCA luggage handling is very slow

Delta and Continental terminals typically have slightly longer lines for security, but there is a good president's club and delta lounge inside security

I will usually fly IAD for flights to Europe, but by taxi from central DC to IAD it takes at least 3-4 times longer than DCA, depending on traffic
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Price is same for IAD / DCA - Does the board have a preference?

Arriving 10AM Friday, Departing 4PM on a Monday. Traffic at these times will be manageable for either airport: Tie
- Easier access to rental cars? DCA hands down
- shorter Baggage arrival time? Both are bad. I'd suggest renting clubs
- Shorter security lines when departing? DCA hands down
- Better u/g potential? Tied, both are good
- Better NW World club? IAD hands down
- Anything else worth considering. (I've never been to DC) DCA has better views on your flight approach, if coming from the North you follow the Potomac River and can clearly see the Washington Monument, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial, etc.
I'd have to disagree on upgrades - I've been out of both and outbound from DCA were 2 of the 3 times I didn't get the EUA this year.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:39 am

Programs: nwaworldperks gold, cathay pacific asia miles, bangkok airways
yes, i waited so long I went to grab a cup of coffee upstairs.................and that was the afternoon flight.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.