Wiki Posts
Search

Is Silver worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Is Silver worth the effort?

Hello all,

I'm a base member with somewhere between 100 and 200K miles total, but this has been accumulated over the course of several years and I've never had elite status. During the last year, my flying has picked up, and I anticipate it will continue to do so in 2004 and beyond.

I have the chance to take a trip to Europe around Thanksgiving and with NW's great fares (I'm actually pricing out at less than $400, including tax), it seemed like it might be a good way to earn Silver Elite status for next year.

My question: would it be worth the money (I konw that the ticket is a great value, but I'll also spend money over there, and it's not a trip I would be taking anyway), probably 800$ or so, just to gain Silver?

Before anyone sends me a bunch of links to previous threads -- I know what the Silver benefits are and everything. I'm just curious as to people's opinions on whether it's worth the time and money outlay -- this trip would purely be for the EQMs.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:23 pm

Yes, yes, and yes for me, though everyone has a different relative value they would place on the extra money spent. I almost left NW because I was so disgusted with rude and uninformed customer service people on the non-elite line and the long waits (often over a half hour) trying to get through to talk to someone about advance upgrades for miles. It's worth it to have silver just to be able to deal with more polite and more intelligent reps (not to mention early boarding privileges and generally not worrying about having enough room to put your carry-on).You also have a shot at some upgrades, if you value those, and the bonus miles, etc.

I don't dread flying or planning trips as much as I did before I became silver. It takes the stress level down a notch for a lot less money than a mental health professional would charge!

Have a taste for a year, and decide for yourself if it's worth making an effort to keep it. I'll have plenty for silver and even gold if I fly right next year, without extra effort, and the decision is weather or not to strain for platinum, which is another story on another thread. But between "nothing" and "silver" the difference is the greatest.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HeelLaw:
My question: would it be worth the money (I konw that the ticket is a great value, but I'll also spend money over there, and it's not a trip I would be taking anyway)</font>
Well, if it's not a trip you'd be taking anyway, it'd be a mileage run with an immediate turn-around. The fact that you're spending some time there indicates you actually want to go there, and the status is part of the decision-making process.

If you want a bunch of miles to earn Silver, do it with an immediate turnaround and spend the airfare only. If you want to take advantage of a great fare and a weekend getaway in Europe, do it as you've planned.

Either way, get the status!
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:05 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
Silver is very important to have. It means the difference of flying first or economy class. It's a very big difference.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Status is nice, but a trip to Europe is icing on the cake. I am just back from AMS and I had a great time. Lots to see and do. Not that expensive if planned right. I would look at it this way - nice little holiday, see new places, eat new foods, get to see the world and get silver at the same time. Way better than doing a MR.

BTW $400 to Europe is good in my books.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:54 am

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
For me, being Silver is definitely worth my money and time. I have to fly to Europe anyway 2x year on my $. With a couple of domestic leisure trips, it gives me enough miles every year to go to Europe 3rd time on an award ticket. Also, being Silver enabled me to accumulate 100,000 miles for emergencies = RB to Europe.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Ha ha, I knew someone would call me out on that.

Yeah, I guess I do have an alterior motive for wanting to go...but the only way I can justify spending the money, as a student, is if yall think that Silver is worth the time, money and effort.

I've read varying degrees of upgrade success as a Silver -- my impression was that there was a huge jump between success rates between Silver and Gold. Is that not the case?

(By the way, and I know this is not appropriate for the NW forum, which is why I'm putting it in (), the cheapest fares I'm finding are to the cities in the Benelux countries that KLM serves. Does anyone have a favorite out of these cities, or any inexpensive, nice, accomodations with perfect locations? Yeah, yeah...I know.)

Thanks again all
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:18 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Sliver, Mariott Silver
I took advantage of some great fares to London this spring for the simple purpose of adding those important EQM. Left on thursday with two friends, returned on Tuesday. Nice long weekend of sightseeing, pubs and even a train trip to Paris for the day. I certainly spent more on hotel and food then on airfare, but I will do it again 2004. Great way to get EQM and a mini-vaction.

As far as being silver compared to base. This is huge. If you start doing more flight in 2004 the elite status makes trips much more comfortable. I average 3 business trips a month and will move my schedule arround to try to fly NW. I have even flown to Orlando just to get to Atlanta for a 4 hour meeting. (Didn't want to fly on Midwest Express)
Old Oct 9, 2003, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Rashby,

Is the comfort factor due to a really good upgrade rate as a silver, or for other perks, like exit row seating?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 8:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HeelLaw:
Ha ha, I knew someone would call me out on that.

Yeah, I guess I do have an alterior motive for wanting to go...but the only way I can justify spending the money, as a student, is if yall think that Silver is worth the time, money and effort.

I've read varying degrees of upgrade success as a Silver -- my impression was that there was a huge jump between success rates between Silver and Gold. Is that not the case?

(By the way, and I know this is not appropriate for the NW forum, which is why I'm putting it in (), the cheapest fares I'm finding are to the cities in the Benelux countries that KLM serves. Does anyone have a favorite out of these cities, or any inexpensive, nice, accomodations with perfect locations? Yeah, yeah...I know.)

Thanks again all
</font>
Your upgrades will depend on where and when you are flying. I have no idea where you fly from. If its DTW or MSP you might have trouble with an ug. I fly from ALB and EWR. At ALB I am batting %100 and the same from DTW. Sounds like a mini vacation that will get you Silver. I say go for it, especially if your travel will increase next year. The bonus miles are nice as well.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:20 am

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
It's worth it. With Silver I had a very good upgrade success rate.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 9:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ermdjdsj:
I almost left NW because I was so disgusted with rude and uninformed customer service people on the non-elite line and the long waits (often over a half hour) trying to get through to talk to someone about advance upgrades for miles. It's worth it to have silver just to be able to deal with more polite and more intelligent reps </font>
since when did the silver "elite line" have more polite and intelligent reps?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:19 am

Perhaps since I became silver, in my honor?

Though I've heard there may be the same people manning both sets of lines in the call centers, the calls I have had (a dozen or so) since I became silver have never had me on hold for more than a couple minutes and everyone has been polite and helpful and literate. Maybe they just get smarter and more helpful when their computer shows you are an elite member.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt AA-Plat 0.1MM AMTK-Select IHG-Gold
</font>
My upgrade sucess rate as silver is very good. I have been upgraded about 85% of the time. The only flights I have difficulty securing an upgrade on is intra-hub flights (i.e. DTW to MSP).

I have very poor upgrade karma with CO. I'm at about 1/3 EUA and only one Battlefield Commission.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Alright, I'm sold. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

In case anyone was actually wondering, I usually fly out of RDU, and first is rarely full, at least to the hubs.

A couple more questions that I tried to figure out using nwa.com and the thread about fare-classes:

True or false, no one can upgrade a trans-Atlantic Q or V fare?

True or false, for purposes of upgrades, does Hawaii count as a domestic (i.e., can an elite member upgrade using miles from a V or Q fare? (or T now, I guess))

Thanks again yall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.