Wiki Posts
Search

Upper Deck or Nose

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Upper Deck or Nose

Relatively new to FT so this may be an old issue but would appreciate advice.....on DTW to NRT is upper deck or front of 744 (rows 1-4) best for overall appeal (service/quiet et) in WBC....thanks to all
Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
The Upper Deck is my choice. Nothing scientific... simply seems special to be sitting "up there"!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:55 pm

Programs: NW GE
I wouldn't mind 1A for the forward"ish" view, if not somewhere on the upper deck is fine.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:58 pm

Some people like the more intimate feeling of the upper deck. Others like the massive amount of leg room in row 10 and the private feel of row 1 if traveling with a companion. Either way, it's going to be a nice ride.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I really liked being in 2B. No one next to me, and up front feels really spacious where the aisle is wider than normal and there is no middle seating.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta
While riding upstairs is nice, I've found the circular staircase to be a hassle, especially when carrying a rollaboard. Also, it can get very hot up there before takeoff on some flights. I agree that 10A is very nice. I had it flying from NRT to LAX last month, with no one in 10B! Felt a bit like a private plane.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:57 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
With the 742 retired... the spiral staircase is gone...

I like 1A or Exit row up stairs... either are great seats

Originally Posted by nishimark
While riding upstairs is nice, I've found the circular staircase to be a hassle, especially when carrying a rollaboard. Also, it can get very hot up there before takeoff on some flights. I agree that 10A is very nice. I had it flying from NRT to LAX last month, with no one in 10B! Felt a bit like a private plane.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:21 am
2mg

Up top...

Is the way to go my friend!
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
I've tried all the "primo seats"- 1A, 10A, 73A, and pretty much all the seats upstairs.

1A is nice for takeoff and landing, but the view isn't that great, and that's only a small proportion of the flight.

10A is fantastic for walking around your companion, but you're still in a kind of noisy traffic area.

73A is 10A in a private suite, with personal attention, and an end table to put stuff on! And all the upstairs window seats beat a downstairs WBC seat IMHO.

The downside, you can't bring up a largish rollaboard, and you do have to go up stairs.

So in summary, to help preserve my own favorite seating choices, I strongly reccomend passing on the upstairs cabin. It's nothing special -yeah, that's what I was trying to say - nothing special...

All the best, James
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
It really is a matter of personal choice (and not too many bad choices).

I am flying NW25 this Saturday DTW-NRT-PVG in 73A. I like the side storage bin, and the more intimate feel of the upper deck. I also sometimes get to BS with one of the off duty pilots, which can be interesting.

Downside is lugging the bag up the stairs, and sometimes finding no space to store it. And as someone else mentioned, it can be warmer upstairs.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 5:53 pm
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
Upper.
Quieter. Fewer People. Better Service
Old Nov 22, 2007, 2:01 am

Programs: (formerly) Northwest, Continental, Delta, American, United, ANA
Upper Deck, definitely. Quieter, more intimate, much lower restroom/pax ratio (12:1), and FA/pax ratio (12:1), great storage, and you can stash a rollaboard up there, just maybe not in the overhead.

All in all, you have the sensation of flying in a private jet, based on the size of the cabin.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 12:00 pm

The 744 upper deck has 2 lavs. No waiting. Plenty of room for rollaboards in the closet if you can deal with the stairs. Some upper deck pax put their rollaboards in the lower deck bins, but I invariably need something from the rollaboard.... including food on KIX/TPE. KIX/TPE is the WORST widebody WBC flight. No WBC kit, and bad food. At least it's a short flight.

The worst narrowbody WBC (yes, believe it or not) was the 757 service NRT/NGO/SPN. It was domestic F branded as WBC. Now, it's real WBC on an A333. NW may still offer "WBC on 757" service into China... haven't checked.

Last edited by Eidetic; Nov 22, 2007 at 12:20 pm
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Eidetic
NW may still offer "WBC on 757" service into China... haven't checked.
NRT-CAN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.