Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Food Choices at WorldGateway

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 6:09 am

I hate tp be a negative nancy, but the food choices in DTW stink. It would be nice to have realtively decent food at an affordable price. I picked up a small cup of soup at Chili's yesterday. After my employee discount it was $4.72.

The Online Cafe has a great assortment of veggies and dip and fruit and cheese packaged to go but they are $7.

Did you notice that at Diego's (the mexican place) you can't get most of their menu to go? Only hamburgers and sandwiches.

Maybe it is the culture of the city, but I think the food choices are not the greatest.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heasdstrong:
I hate tp be a negative nancy, but the food choices in DTW stink. It would be nice to have realtively decent food at an affordable price. I picked up a small cup of soup at Chili's yesterday. After my employee discount it was $4.72.

The Online Cafe has a great assortment of veggies and dip and fruit and cheese packaged to go but they are $7.

Did you notice that at Diego's (the mexican place) you can't get most of their menu to go? Only hamburgers and sandwiches.

Maybe it is the culture of the city, but I think the food choices are not the greatest.
</font>
Haven't grown up in the DTW MSA I can tell you it's not the city...but I do agree with you....not my favorite airport to eat in
Old May 12, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Whatever your opinion of the culinary offerings of the city, and their representation at DTW, consider this excerpt from the official press release, from the Wayne County Airport Authority in regards to the recent additions at DTW:

May 8, 2003, DETROIT, MI: -- A food and beverage program at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) just wouldn’t be complete without one of the Metro area’s signature mealtime favorites -- a coney island restaurant, of course.

“These new restaurants provide our customers with even more variety and food selection choices, including healthy menu options, while they travel through the new McNamara Terminal,” said Wayne County Airport Authority CEO Lester W. Robinson. “With these new additions, and more shops and restaurants yet to come, I’m confident our airport’s concession program will rank among the industry’s best.”

“We are not only excited about being a part of Detroit’s new and wonderful Terminal, but equally excited to be bringing what we feel are two outstanding concepts that we feel embody the spirit of Detroit,” says Tom Giftos, Owner & CEO of NAC, LLC. “Plus, being able to fly the National Coney Island flag makes it that much more exciting.”

So, I guess if you're not happy with this representation of Detroit, let it suffice to say that others disagree....FWIW, there aren't any FAYGO outlets there yet are there?

Old May 12, 2003, 2:03 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rrz518:
So, I guess if you're not happy with this representation of Detroit, let it suffice to say that others disagree....FWIW, there aren't any FAYGO outlets there yet are there?

</font>
Mmmmmm where can I get my Redpop and Mountain Mist....
Old May 12, 2003, 2:04 pm

rrz518,

One more time: you've consistently smeared Detroit and Toledo in multiple posts. Your made your comments (for example, this thread is about new food choices at DTW - not food choices in Metro Detroit) because you wanted to, not because they had anything to do with the thread. There is no “turf war” – I’ve never been Toledo, but I don’t like ANYBODY bashing ANY city.
Old May 12, 2003, 2:23 pm

I'd really like to know what the "healthy" choices are. I know of two places that will make something for me that kind of passes for healthy. It is just disappointing to see so many bars, pubs and fast food places.

It would be nice to get a fresh sandwish or something not fried (oh yeah...and not have to take out a 2nd mortagage).
Old May 12, 2003, 11:42 pm

IP:

One more time for you:

I simply pointed out that the NEW FOOD CHOICES (hint: topic) mirrored what is popular in the region. Wayne County Airport Authority agrees (press release). This is not bashing. Seems that there are a lot of folks who think that a good coney is something of merit....obviously strongly enough to invest big bucks in the new restaurants in DTW (hint: TOPIC again)

I HAVE complained (in other threads) about lousy baggage service and the sometimes surly attitudes one encounters there. I doubt I am the only one who has that opinion. Oh and while I'm at it, the weather could be better a lot of the time, and the parking structure seems to have been rather poorly designed and is very confusing. Enough???

So, please don't get any more bees in your bonnet about my being vocal regarding that facility. I use DTW a LOT, and my opinions, good or bad or otherwise, are valid, and in a FORUM, they might get shared.

Thank you, and good night.

PS: If you want to see some REAL Detroit bashing, just type in the words "Detroit" and some negative adjective into your search engine.....there's plenty there without my 2 cents.

PPS: If you're so hating "city bashing" why are you referring to where your parents live in Florida as "negative"? They obviously find it to be a nice place to hang out....

PPPS: I LIKE Faygo, and Vernors for that matter!

PPPPS: Now that I see you're bailing from NWA (I don't blame you, I supported your opinion on your original post), you'll be hard pressed to find even a good hot dog at LC Smith...The Jose Cuervo's is pretty lame, but if you want even worse, check out the 1960's "Catch me if you can" era cafeteria....At least there's a Starbucks in there though. That ought to hold you till you get to Chicago or Dallas.

And if you're looking for some entertainment over there, check out the little barber shop by the cafeteria. It has (no lie!) real Iraqui currency on the wall just at the entrance, with full on portraits of Saddam Hussein on the bills. Pretty cool, I'll bet that's gonna be worth something someday.

[This message has been edited by rrz518 (edited 05-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by rrz518 (edited 05-13-2003).]
Old May 13, 2003, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
Pleasssssse...get Zingerman's in there!
Old May 13, 2003, 3:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Vernor's is incredible... One of my favorite carbonated beverages. What is Faygo?

It would be nice if the gateway had a Pret a Manger-style sandwich shop. To be fair, I don't think DTW is any worse than MSP for culinary options. I still haven't found a decent place to eat @MSP. Am I missing something there? Obviously, MEM is head and shoulders above with the barbecue place. And NRT & AMS are pretty great.
Old May 13, 2003, 5:19 pm

Yes Vernors is great....actually the Diet version is pretty good stuff too. Faygo is a Detroit area local soda, that goes way back. "Red Pop" is the flavor that I remember the most; as a little kid in the 70's it was heavily advertised on local TV. If I recall correctly, Faygo in general is VERY sweet, and is "fruit themed", i.e. grape, orange, etc.

Don't know much about MSP, but a great touch in airport food is the Rubio's in San Diego....I always hit them up upon arrival and departure for a signature fish taco. Or three. DFW also has some good BBQ, and ATL has good variety...if you don't like what you see, just hit the next concourse and there's more and more. I was also impressed by the variety of chow in PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.