Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

When will NW replace the DC10 to London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:00 am
Original Poster

I thought that NW was going to replace the DC10s from Detroit to London/Amsterdam? I tried booking on line and still see the DC10s. For the same price for WBC, I can fly British Air and even Delta and get a better ride (newer plane with better entertainment system and a laptop plug).

I must be the only one who doesn't mind the FAs on NW. I am a Platinum Elite and have never had a bad experience. Well, I had one bad FA out of Detroit who had a bad attitude (but, to be fair, everyone can have a bad day).

My biggest complaint about NW FAs is ... one of them has never tried to pick me up. It has happened several times on America West. NW FA clearly need to lower their standards!!! Just kidding.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:06 am

Airbus A330-300 aircraft will begin replacing DC-10s this fall. However, until the aircraft are actually delivered, PARS will continue to show the flights as operating as DC-10s. In fact, B753 equipment isn't reflected on PARS in the fall.

Delta's B767 aircraft DO NOT have PTVs - only the B777 (economy) - only one ATL-LGW has a B777.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the rapid response.

I only fly business overseas when travelling by myself. But I agree that Delta coach is not very good. British Air, on the other hand, is fab. I assume United business class is pretty good (and expensive), no?
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:25 am

I flew UA Business Class and wasn't too impressed. NW's WBC offers better value, and I suspect the new WBC will be superior to UA's Business Class. However, I was impressed by UA's First Class . Too bad we'll never see that on NW .
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:36 am

My suspicion is that NWA will operate
the DC-10s for as long as possible. after
all, the old cans are already more than paid for. NWA has been very cost concious
these past years, and subsequently enjoy a better financial health than the other majors. People do complain alot about the
DC-10s. I rather like the spacious front cabin. too bad they had to cram all those seats in on the Domestic ops. untill spring 2000, flying BOS-MSP-LAX or SEA, one flew domestic first in the old internatinal WBC pitch. Hilarious ! Alas, those days are gone.

As to the FA critique, I to have had very good experience with DTW based crews. even better since the new terminal opened at DTW. The SFO crews have been examplary as well. I make apoint of avoiding the BOS-AMS flt. though. The crews always seem especially crabby and harried. Interlining to DTW is more than fime with me. There are later DTW-AMS flts., and the new World Club makes the lay over les than a chore.

There are numerous reports about the new A300s comming on line this year. Yet, as far
as I can tell, NWA has not taken delivery yet. When they do, I do agree that the new
WBC will be quite enhanced . Well worth
the wait, but I will miss that hilarious "Carter Administration"
abiance on the old DC-10s.....
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:44 am

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that the DC-10 will be fully retired by the end of 2005 or early 2006. I believe B753 will replace the LAX/SEA to HNL flights and maybe a A332 from MSP.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 02-24-2003).]
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:49 am

A quick note on the A330s: First delivery is scheduled for June. Pilots recvd word this past week on training awards and will begin training for the new aircraft in the next few months. The aircraft will be flown domestically for a couple of months, then expand to international service as airports/aircrew/etc. gain experience working with the new plane. The DC-10's will still be in the fleet for several years as only a handful of 330's come online per year.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:06 am

I screwed up my dates in my earlier post - NW will take delivery of 6 A330-300s this year, beginning this summer. I suspect the DC-10 will be retired in late 2005, early 2006.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Wouldn't be suprised to see the A330s start operating out of LAX and/or HNL. That would actually probably be the best option...
Old Feb 24, 2003, 2:53 pm

Delta has PTVs in BusinessElite and the recline is greater than that in NW's WBC.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithguy:
Delta has PTVs in BusinessElite and the recline is greater than that in NW's WBC. </font>
I thought he was referring to coach; only DL's B777s have PTVs in coach -- I've booked myself on a DL B777 to MCO a couple times, but it was changed to a B763 and B764 .

Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bk42:
Wouldn't be suprised to see the A330s start operating out of LAX and/or HNL. That would actually probably be the best option...</font>
I'm sure the A330s will fly to/from HNL on the domestic runs this summer. But I'm pretty sure NW will eventually fly B752/B753 to Hawaii from LAX and SEA - maybe an A332 from MSP one day, but maybe not.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
Would the A330s require ETOPS certification in order to fly to Hawaii? If so, I doubt you'll see them there until after they start replacing the DC10s on international routes. I thought the only reason they would be run on domestic routes at first was to earn ETOPS certification.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:50 pm

Yes, the A330 would require ETOPS. I didn't mean to imply we'll see A333 service from MSP to HNL this summer - I meant I think we'll see it once NW retires the DC-10s - which I believe will be by 2005.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:14 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Ref A330. DTW or MPS/LGW. Anybody know if it's somehow possible to book now for the inaugural flight, whenever that may be ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.