Wiki Posts
Search

Award Travel to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2002, 3:43 pm
anr
Original Poster

Award Travel to Hawaii

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting award travel from New York area to Hawaii at the end of July next year?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2002, 7:55 pm

Hawaii can be tuff but if you are flexible....

Hawaii gets booked pretty far in advance but here are some tips--

inventories are constantly reviewed and inventory is loaded at midnight CST. the farthest out one can book is approx 352 days.

if you dont find any availability then you may find something open up as you get closer to your preffered travel dates but that is no guarantee.

have the agent try to see if they can get you on HA (hawaiian air) from SFO--also another tip if you are going to mauii HA has a nonstop flight from SFO so no connecting in HNL.

now an agent is unable to see exact availability on HA and has to request it...if the link is up and running they should get a response in about 30 sec.

also many times (depending on the city you are traveling out of) the gateway to HNL is not the culprit but your outbound city to the connecting point. You might want to consider using miles from a gateway city (LAX/SEA/MSP/DTW-seasonal nonstop) but purchasing a ticket from you originating city to the gateway.

for example i had a passenger last week who wanted first class (A) to HNL and i did have seats available from SEA-HNL but i didnt have first(a) or coach(W) from his originating city. so i grabbed the first class from SEA-HNL and then checked a fare for him out of BNA-SEA. he got a coach rate of like $198.00 and he then used miles to upgrade that to F class.

now it did cost him extra miles to upgrade the coach to first on the purchased ticket but he was really happy he was now going all the way to HNL for miles and only about $220.00-including his taxes on his award ticket.

or one other sugestion is to purchase a coach class ticket and use you miles to upgrade and go first class--also if you do that you will *earn* more miles for the actual flight.

hope this was some help

SOME PEOPLE JUST KNOW HOW TO FLY!!!
Old Nov 2, 2002, 1:43 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FLYNW1:
have the agent try to see if they can get you on HA (hawaiian air) from SFO--also another tip if you are going to mauii HA has a nonstop flight from SFO so no connecting in HNL.
</font>
I thought HA was a partner only for the inter-island flights and flights to & from Tahiti. Is it really possible to book NWA awards from the mainlane to Hawaii flying HA?

If so, there's a few other places one could depart from, using HA (Sacramento, Phoenix, etc.).

But I kind of doubt this.
Old Nov 2, 2002, 7:37 am

According to the NWA.com website page located here:
http://www.nwa.com/freqfly/earn/airfl.shtml#hawaii
The only Hawaiian flights that have WorldPerks benefits are "All Hawaiian Airlines operated inter-island flights and Hawaiian Airlines flights from Honolulu to American Samoa and Tahiti (French Polynesia)."

You can fly Continental using WorldPerks miles to Hawaii... I would look into this option as well.

[This message has been edited by steve100 (edited 11-02-2002).]
Old Nov 2, 2002, 7:07 pm

believe me you CAN use HA flts--but only from SFO.

NW does not allow you to use them from any other city.

Beleive me you usually find something as many many many people dont realize you can use them!

SOME PEOPLE JUST KNOW HOW TO FLY!
Old Nov 3, 2002, 9:32 am

OK Tahiti (French Polynesia) Sounds really nice but what city do you fly into. I've never been there be4 but it sounds like a great Honeymoon place? What city do you fly into?

------------------
Sorry mama i gots to get all the miles i can

Brian
Old Nov 3, 2002, 10:01 am

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FLYNW1:
also many times (depending on the city you are traveling out of) the gateway to HNL is not the culprit but your outbound city to the connecting point. You might want to consider using miles from a gateway city (LAX/SEA/MSP/DTW-seasonal nonstop) but purchasing a ticket from you originating city to the gateway.
</font>
I successfully used this to get to Europe. I did a paid TYS-ORD and an award ORD-VIE.

A few questions for FLYNW1. These scenarios did not happen. I'm only curious.

1. What happens if my AMS-ORD flight were late and I did not show up for ORD-TYS in time? Would I be re-acommodated on another flight or ORD-TYS would be canceled? The fare bases for TYS-ORD was KE60QNR.

2. Can I be put on an earlier ORD-TYS flight if my AMS-ORD flight shows up in ORD way ahead of schedule and I do not want to wait in ORD 4 1/2 hrs instead of planned 3hrs? The fare bases for TYS-ORD was KE60QNR.

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2002, 7:02 pm

Jano

to answer your first question

it depends if you are on NW/KL on all flights you would want to let the originating city where you are departing from know your final destination and they should tag your bags correctly

if the flight was delayed and again you are on NW/KL you would be accomodated like any passenger who is ticketed all the way through on one tkt.

if you however are on a diff carrier then NW would not be obligated to accomodate you--even though it may be NW fault for a delay.

also you can always fly standby for an earlier flight than the one that you are confirmed for provided your ticket allows standby--most do--but you may want to check with reservations or the ticket counter before you attempt standby.

hope that helped

SOME PEOPLE JUST KNOW HOW TO FLY!
Old Nov 7, 2002, 7:47 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
not exactly what you asked, but here's my take on the issue -- don't try for award travel to hawaii. buy your tickets with dollars, then use miles to upgrade to first. the only thing better than spending time in hawaii is spending time in hawaii, and flying to and from in first class.
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM 2.5MMer, former NW Gold/Platinum ('91-'04), HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brians51:
OK Tahiti (French Polynesia) Sounds really nice but what city do you fly into. I've never been there be4 but it sounds like a great Honeymoon place? What city do you fly into?

</font>
Papaete (PPT)

Old Nov 7, 2002, 10:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeoulGold:
Papaete (PPT)
</font>
Also, I've checked into doing a trip to Tahiti before: the connections from the mainland are really really horrible. I believe they require overnights in HNL both directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.