Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

kosher first class meals on Northwest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2002, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

I'm platinum with Worldperks and get upgraded very often on domestic flights. They always serve me a coach class kosher meal even though all other upgraded platinums are getting a first class meal. I received a letter from NWA (after I wrote to them) that since I'm upgraded, I don't deserve a first class meal (only if I pay for first class). Why are the kosher customers being discriminated against.
I also don't understand: NWA doesn't serve meals in domestic coach, so why do they even have coach class kosher meals in inventory.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 1:48 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
hershelk: First of all, Welcome to FlyerTalk!
I would think that the reason they offer what appears to be a 'coach' kosher meal has more to do with the companies that provides the standard frozen kosher meals to the airline. I could be wrong but based on dietary laws it might present a problem for them to do any presentation other than the way it is done now in the foil tray and double overwrap since it must be heated in a non-kosher-kitchen oven.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hershelk welcome to FT. Yeah, I too feel your pain. My religion requires my diet to consist of only soft-boiled bald eagle eggs, virgin monkfish, lobster, caviar and kobe beef. I called my airlines and requested meals from such for both my coach and first class (both u/g and paid). They turned me down too. Now I get food-screwed in both cabins.

Lets SUE the b*stards. How can I practice my sacred religion rites while airborne? Jeez!!!

MisterNice
Old Aug 27, 2002, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
This may have to do with when your upgrade clears. If it clears the day of the flight, then catering has not had time to order an F meal.

If NW offers a kosher meal option, then you should get the appropriate meal.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 5:41 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:
This may have to do with when your upgrade clears. If it clears the day of the flight, then catering has not had time to order an F meal.

</font>
i think his point is since there aren't meals at all in coach, they should ONLY have first class kosher meals in their meal inventory. there's no point in having coach kosher meals since there are no meals, kosher or standard or otherwise.

so, they should have standard first class meals and special first class meals since upgraded passengers that eat standard meals get standard first class meals -- not standard coach meals.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 08-27-2002).]
Old Aug 27, 2002, 7:03 pm

Location: Huntsville AL, previously Kwajalein - Republic of the Marshall Islands
Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat
I've never SEEN a differentiation between a "coach" and a "first class" Kosher meal. They are all basically prepared as a standard "tv dinner"-type of meal that had been double-overwrapped to keep the contents from coming in contact with any "non-kosher kitchen" surfaces. Perhaps you could ask NW for the source of the Kosher foods and contact that company directly with your concerns about the quality of the meal.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
I'm going to move this to the Northwest forum, to get more feedback from those who know the airline best.

Hershelk, thanks for visiting Flyertalk. Hope to have you as an active participant.

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
[email protected]
Old Aug 27, 2002, 8:42 pm

Heshy,
Welcome aboard. From first hand experience I know that AA offers slightly better kosher meals in first class than in coach. They give an extra side dish/dessert and regular cutlery. They usually come from Wilton caterers. I have never flown Northwest, so I don't know which caterer they use.
Maybe you should tell Northwest that AA offers it, and I'm sure other airlines do as well.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 6:54 am

A close friend of mine contacted CO about the same topic. Their explanation to him was that along the lines of Kosher meals for US flights are prepared only in NYC, order several days in advance, and are sent to the departing airport sometimes a day ahead of time. Because of the leadtime, the airline cannot order a FC (U) (&lt;--- that's O-U symbol for kosher) meal when a passanger is upgraded by EUA only a couple days before the flight.

When my friend was upgraded 6 days ahead of a flight on a Y-fare, he received a FC (U) meal. Otherwise, he typically gets Coach (U) meals when upgraded.

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 11:22 am

Welcome to FT Hershelk ,

My experience is with airlines such as British Airways and Cathay Pacific , that they do offer First Class Kosher Meals prepared by Hermolis Caterers with a 48 hour advance notice or in your case a 48 hour in advance cleared upgrade.

If I have a first class flight on Rosh Hashannah , you think my meal will consist of some apple and honey ?
Old Aug 28, 2002, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Its rather simple and has NOTHING to do with 'Kosher' or not 'Kosher'.

A kosher meal is considered a 'special' meal which usually means at least a 24 hr advanced notice(purchase of tkt) to be sure you get it.Some carriers do have a supply on hand and can get it done for you, it'll depend on the airport you're flying out of, needless to say NYC is the best for this.
So even a person who flies coach might not get their meal if ther wasnt enough time leeway given.

Some carriers recently have curtailed their special meals, not one has deleted 'kosher' ones. If on the other hand your upgrade was 24 hrs or more B4 flight time you have a good gripe but you also have to make sure that the airline notes that your res is now for a 1st class seat and orders the proper meal, same is true if you switch flights, make sure that along with the new flight that your meal and seat requests have also been moved. Since you got a kosher meal I dont think this was your problem but rather an up within the 24hrs of flight time.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
well, the one time I ordered a kosher meal (I don't keep kosher but thought I'd try it once to see if it was any better than the usual slop) the FA loudly announced "...and here's your KOSHER meal Mr Sleepy!" um, thanks, butthole. not that I'm ashamed of being Jewish, but the whole goddam F cabin doesn't need to know about it.

b grrr s.

oh and I was upgraded a few days out and it was a coach kosher meal, and it was awful.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 10:38 pm

Programs: LY Plat, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Edan Plat, Priority Club Plat
Domestically speaking, on Northwest & Continental, I have gotten pretty much the exact same thing as in coach, except that it is served on new china and flatware.

Internationally speaking:

In World Business Class on Northwest, I have had the best inflight Kosher Meal, they even had the warmed nuts in a seperate sealed china with the kosher labels intact, and it was served course by course, and the portions were normal size, and the food was of Business Class quality.

On Continental in Business First, the only difference between the Kosher bus/first meals and the coach meals were that they served on real dishes and were of larger portions.

Same story with KLM
Old Aug 29, 2002, 8:51 am
Original Poster

NWA has 2 different kosher meals. The first class kosher meals are bigger, better and on china. Yet they only serve it if you buy a first class seat not if you are upgraded. All other platinums that get upgraded get their better meals.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kwaj girl:
I've never SEEN a differentiation between a "coach" and a "first class" Kosher meal. They are all basically prepared as a standard "tv dinner"-type of meal that had been double-overwrapped to keep the contents from coming in contact with any "non-kosher kitchen" surfaces. Perhaps you could ask NW for the source of the Kosher foods and contact that company directly with your concerns about the quality of the meal.</font>
Old Aug 29, 2002, 8:54 am
Original Poster

This has been happening all the time even when I'm upgraded five days in advance. If they didn't get the kosher request with enough notice, how did they get the coach class kosher meal onboard???
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zrs70:

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.