Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

kosher first class meals on Northwest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

kosher first class meals on Northwest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2002, 10:34 am

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by breezexlt (edited 09-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by breezexlt (edited 09-04-2002).]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

There's a differebce between an upgrade received 5 days in advance and one received the day of travel. Everyone understands this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seth:
Although the wording of her response was inappropriate and uncalled for, the overall message is a reasonable one. With a free upgrade my expectations are much lower than when I purchase a first class ticket. Special meals are an expense and hassle for airlines. IMHO eating a coach kosher meal in FC is a heck of a lot better than eating it in coach. I have been upgraded at the last minute several times over the years and been ask "we don't have any extra meals up front, is a coach meal ok?" I usually respond "eating it up here is better than eating it back there" and the F/A's universally thank me for my understanding.

And she does have a valid, albiet poorly delivered, point; if you don't want a coach meal in FC, you don't have to accept the upgrade.

</font>
Old Sep 4, 2002, 12:59 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
This thread, IMHO, has gone on long enough. It appears that the originator feels a certain extreme sense of entitlement on a complementary upgrade. Golly, if he wasn't upgraded, he might or might not get food. Why is this person making such a big deal about how he/she is being deprived because a coach meal is served?

If strict dietary compliance is necessary, then it would be best for the traveler to provide his own meal to insure compliance with his strict dietary requirements. It seems practically impossible to insure "kosherness" through the entire process. The airline does not practice strict adherence to this individual's requirements. Possiblely the glass he uses once held Baileys or the coffee cup had cream in it while he eats his pastrami on rye.

Bad!

Bad enough that he will take another airline, seems not--he is platinum.

Want kosher food, strict adherence to dietery law, lobby ElAl to begin US domestic service. Otherwise behave graciously, count one's small blessings and bring a sack lunch.

Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hershelk:
There's a differebce between an upgrade received 5 days in advance and one received the day of travel. Everyone understands this.

</font>
The only difference between the two are 4 days. It is still an elite upgrade and there are still costs and hassles associated with a special meal.

I tell my diabetic and other special meal patients not to count on a special meal. If they need to eat, pack a snack bag or eat what is appropriate for them on the regular menu.

------------------
Friends don't let friends fly RJ's
I am not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.

[This message has been edited by Seth (edited 09-04-2002).]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 8:41 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hershelk:
[B]Your point is right. That is why I don't order the kosher meal until AFTER my upgrade is completed (always more than 24 hours (usually 5 days on NWA).& it still doesn't help. I have a letter from NWA saying that its their policy not to give the first class kosher meal to upgrades only to paids. This is dicriminatory since all other upgrades get the better meal.</font>
It's not dicriminatory (sic) if the same is applied to those ordering vegetarian, fruit-plate (whice I doubt is available any longer), gluten-free, etc.

I would bet money that the same policy applies to those meals if getting into F via complimentary upgrades.

[This message has been edited by LLZ (edited 09-04-2002).]
Old Sep 4, 2002, 9:04 pm

Well, I agree with Seth: let this thread die. One consumer complaint isn’t going to generate a response from the Assistant Director of Consumer Relations. I suspect hershelk sent quite a few letters to NWA… apparently, his contstant writing somehow annoyed somebody in Consumer. However, if you buy a coach ticket you’re entitled to coach service and nothing more. If you’re gifted an upgrade, you should accept the gift and what comes with it.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 09-09-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I couldn't disagree more than with the views expressed by opus, Seth, LLZ, and Industrial. I don't view an upgrade as something I'm owed by NW even though I've earned gold status on my own dime. But when I get lucky, I expect to be treated to the same amenities as other first class passengers. I don't expect to be poured coach wine (probably what I'd usually drink anyway)and told that if I want the good stuff I should pay for a first class ticket. None of your oxes(n?)are being gored in the Kosher food brouhaha (sp?) so maybe it's not as important to you as to the original poster. But Opus, what if you're told that if you want your beloved Spinzels, you can't expect them on a mere upgrade, while you watch them passed out to the other first class passengers. The point is that we all earned our status, and once upgraded should not be treated like we are pretenders who belong in steerage. And LLZ, how much money were you betting? Let me know, because upon upgrade (more than 24 hours in advance), I have repeatedly requested, and been served, first class vegetarian meals, for which I am grateful to Northwest. And Seth, when I have requested the first class vegetarian meals, I was told by Northwest that it was possible as long as I requested the special first class meal at least 24 hours in advance of the flight. That's the difference between requesting it the day of the flight, or in advance. Finally, opushomes, I'm sure you're a nice guy and successful in whatever you do, but I would ask you to reconsider your comments about pastrami and rye and El Al. Maybe it sounded clever to you at the time, and maybe it still does. I found it offensive. All the above being said, I enjoy flying Northwest, and it is still my airline of choice. I just think they were wrong in this case. But reasonable people can disagree.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 8:57 pm

Although I am Jewish, I would never eat a MC kosher meal. I do not follow kashrut at home, but I greatly respect those that do, and those that attempt to follow "the rules" on an aircraft.

When a pax is left without a pre-ordered "KSML," I do everything I can to accomadate them. Whether it's putting food together that is kosher, or giving meal vouchers.

I would think that NO food on the airplane is "kosher" at all. Not just for Jews, but for everyone.

Spinzels are Kosher. they have a U or a K on them, I can't remember.

Be wary of the orange juice, even in FC. It's from concentrate. Lo kashrut!
Old Sep 6, 2002, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
how much difference in cost are we talking about between a coach or FC meal -- $5.00 ?

It can't be that much more expensive.
Old Sep 6, 2002, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
can any meal be kosher if it's stowed in a food cart with non-kosher meals?

I don't think so.

Also it has to be kept away from Dairy products.

Isn't everything stowed together in the galley?

I think it's a good idea to not plan on eating an airline prepared kosher meal inflight if you are observant.

Good Luck!

Happy Rosh Hashanah!
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:40 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
can any meal be kosher if it's stowed in a food cart with non-kosher meals?

I don't think so.

Also it has to be kept away from Dairy products.

Isn't everything stowed together in the galley?

I think it's a good idea to not plan on eating an airline prepared kosher meal inflight if you are observant.

Good Luck!

Happy Rosh Hashanah!
</font>
That didn't seem to bother the original poster....he just wanted the more lavish Kosher meal stored wherever.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by born sleepy:
well, the one time I ordered a kosher meal (I don't keep kosher but thought I'd try it once to see if it was any better than the usual slop)
oh and I was upgraded a few days out and it was a coach kosher meal, and it was awful.
</font>
My husband did the same on a trip to Europe. The problem was that the Kosher meals were not delivered that day, so he got a hunk of lettuce and a carrot stick instead.

Old Sep 9, 2002, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Ever see the Seinfeld episode where Jerry rides in first class next to a beautiful model, and Elaine is stuck in a middle seat in coach with the aisle passenger sound asleep so she can't get to the bathroom? To add insult to injury, the only meal left for Elaine is a Kosher meal which somebody ordered, but didn't take. Elaine yells out to find out who ordered the Kosher meal, which she very much doesn't want. We hear, but don't see, the voice of a male passenger on the side of the aisle complain that he ordered the kosher meal, but had already eaten the regular meal. The voice belongs to Larry David. Meanwhile, Jerry is in first class with the model, and being served caviar. Eventually, a frazzled Elaine sneaks into an empty seat in first class, but is prompty ordered back to coach by the flight attendant.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 9:10 pm

LLZ and Radio ...

The KSML , as is delivered to and prepared by the airlines is purposely double wrapped in aluminum foil rendering it permissible according to jewish law to be stored and or heated anywhere , yes even heated in the same oven as ham and cheese !!!

So yes , this is of concern to the passenger who startyed this thread , please do a little more research before bashing someone and making yourself look ignorant !

As long as thee food is wrapped int hat special manner it can be stored in the galley with whatever else may be in there.

Therefore , you always see the FA show it to the passenger to approve that is sealed properly prior to heating it !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.