Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Changes To Inflight Food/Beverage Service [Updated 29 March]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:51 am
Original Poster

I know this thread is about WBC amenities, but didn't think another thread should be started about nearly the same thing.

NW has started testing main cabin products. Some of the main cabin international features may end up on domestic flights.

Possibllities include no seperate beverage cart or meal cart. Every FA would have a combined snack and drink cart. The domestic drinks that we now serve by the can for free would be eliminated. The choice of free drinks would be greatly redeuced and cans eliminated. Just a couple of drinks served by the glass from one or two liter bottles. Premium soft drinks can be had by the can for a price. At this point, I don't know if this would reduce the choice of mixers for alcoholic beverages. I believe that bottled water would no longer be free.

Snacks boxes would pretty much be the same, but may include additional snack items. Something light or something more substantial like a sandwhich.

I am deliberately being vague as to the beverages of choice and snack items because this is just a test at this point. Because many different products and combinations of products are going to be tried out. So if anyone is on one of these flights, what they get one time may not ever be seen again.

Also, depending upon the length of the flight, this combo cart will only be brought out once on short flights and twice on longer flights. In between the two main services, water walks will be offered. It also sounds like for sale items will be available during the whole flight as now, but then about 30 minutes out the for sale items (accountable items) have to be inventoried and locked up.

That is a rough outline for now. But as time goes on and more feedback from passengers is collected, everything can and will probably change.

Just a heads up.

Moderators Note:

This thread has been broken out of an existing thread due to the content. Some overlap may occur in postings.

Last edited by thezipper; Aug 30, 2007 at 4:17 pm
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
This doesn't seem to make sense to me. First you said "NW has started testing main cabin products. Some of the main cabin international features may end up on domestic flights."

But then you went on to list a bunch of reductions from current domestic service. But on international main cabin products, you get free (hot) food and sometimes free alcohol and free snacks. If the main cabin international features ended up on domestic flights, wouldn't we see an increase in the service rather than a reduction like you described? Have you worked any of these test flights with the reduced service?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by NWAFA
I know this thread is about WBC amenities, but didn't think another thread should be started about nearly the same thing.

NW has started testing main cabin products. Some of the main cabin international features may end up on domestic flights.

Possibllities include no seperate beverage cart or meal cart. Every FA would have a combined snack and drink cart. The domestic drinks that we now serve by the can for free would be eliminated. The choice of free drinks would be greatly redeuced and cans eliminated. Just a couple of drinks served by the glass from one or two liter bottles. Premium soft drinks can be had by the can for a price. At this point, I don't know if this would reduce the choice of mixers for alcoholic beverages. I believe that bottled water would no longer be free.

Snacks boxes would pretty much be the same, but may include additional snack items. Something light or something more substantial like a sandwhich.

I am deliberately being vague as to the beverages of choice and snack items because this is just a test at this point. Because many different products and combinations of products are going to be tried out. So if anyone is on one of these flights, what they get one time may not ever be seen again.

Also, depending upon the length of the flight, this combo cart will only be brought out once on short flights and twice on longer flights. In between the two main services, water walks will be offered. It also sounds like for sale items will be available during the whole flight as now, but then about 30 minutes out the for sale items (accountable items) have to be inventoried and locked up.

That is a rough outline for now. But as time goes on and more feedback from passengers is collected, everything can and will probably change.

Just a heads up.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Reduced/eliminated soda & water. ABSURD! Are there really people in little padded rooms in MSP trying to figure out how to piss off their customers any more than they already are??

Just a heads up.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMoose
This doesn't seem to make sense to me. First you said "NW has started testing main cabin products. Some of the main cabin international features may end up on domestic flights."

But then you went on to list a bunch of reductions from current domestic service. But on international main cabin products, you get free (hot) food and sometimes free alcohol and free snacks. If the main cabin international features ended up on domestic flights, wouldn't we see an increase in the service rather than a reduction like you described? Have you worked any of these test flights with the reduced service?

Thanks.
I'm sorry, maybe it wasn't worded correctly. Like international, the combo carts are being tested. And like international, using liter bottles of soda vs cans. And no, I haven't worked the newest domestic test flights. I did speak with a flight attendant who did and gives the service a thumbs down.

I worked the test flights when NW was developing WBC. And subsequent "tweeks" to the service.

I also did the test flights domestically for the original "ala carte" service. Which from when it started to when it ended were two different services.

Originally Posted by drjazz
Reduced/eliminated soda & water. ABSURD! Are there really people in little padded rooms in MSP trying to figure out how to piss off their customers any more than they already are??
NW is always trying ways to save money. The flight attendant I spoke with did not have one good thing to say about the test flight. From setting up the carts to taking them down at the end of the flight.

When we do these test flights, there is one or two people along to explain the concept of the service and to see how everything goes. We fill out forms about the service which includes feedback that we received from the passengers.

As I stated in my original post, what we see today may not be the end result do to feedback.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
some questions

First of all, thanks for the info, NWAFA! I am a bit confused on some aspects. AS an FYI, I just flew AMS-DTW a week ago in Y and soft drinks are still served in cans. For the record, I wouldn't mind if the alcohol was served by the liter (as opposed to nips).

Just a couple of drinks served by the glass from one or two liter bottles. Premium soft drinks can be had by the can for a price.
What do you consider a premium soft drink?

Also, depending upon the length of the flight, this combo cart will only be brought out once on short flights and twice on longer flights. In between the two main services, water walks will be offered.
Will they go as far as deactivating the call button, so pax can't ask for seconds?

I hope the people who take these decisions do their homework well and consider how much money is actually saved VS. how much revenue is lost because pax get pissed off and fly other ALs.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Sounds to me that they are just working to find a more economical way to deliver the currrent drink service & minimize waste.

Except for this weirdness about premium soft drinks ...
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
NWAFA - I just want to say "thank you" for your valuable contributions to this board. I know there are many times when folks may disagree and you have put up with a lot of "not-so-nice" (euphemism) criticism. I appreciate the fact that you have remained a valuable contributor to this board despite the (fill in your own word)...

It seems like the major change is the use of the two liter bottles rather than the cans. This seems to be pretty standard on flights within Europe, and it makes sense from an economic standpoint.

How do you feel about it? On the one hand, it probably is easier to simply hand pax a can and a cup with ice. But would this be that much of an extra burden?

Last edited by yogimax; Aug 30, 2007 at 5:02 pm
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
so what would change for the F cabin?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
First of all, thanks for the info, NWAFA! I am a bit confused on some aspects. AS an FYI, I just flew AMS-DTW a week ago in Y and soft drinks are still served in cans. For the record, I wouldn't mind if the alcohol was served by the liter (as opposed to nips).

What do you consider a premium soft drink?

Will they go as far as deactivating the call button, so pax can't ask for seconds?

I hope the people who take these decisions do their homework well and consider how much money is actually saved VS. how much revenue is lost because pax get pissed off and fly other ALs.
1. I don't know.
2. I don't know.
3. Nah, we ignore passengrs now.
4. Sometimes marketing is so sure that they've got it right that they ignore what the flight attendants tell them. For an example, some of you may remember. Moving FC to the upper deck on the 747 and then moving it back down to main deck. Or serving bowls of chili on the DC-9. The first incarnation had lids that didn't stay on and the bowls slid off the top of the cart onto floor.

Ultimately it's up to the passengers what they accept or won't accept.

Originally Posted by yogimax
NWAFA - I just want to say "thank you" for your valuable contributions to this board. I know there are many times when folks may disagree and you have put up with a lot of "not-so-nice" (euphemism) criticism. I appreciate the fact that you have remained a valuable contributor to this board despite the (fill in your own word)...

It seems like the major change is the use of the two liter bottles rather than the cans. This seems to be pretty standard on flights within Europe, and it makes sense from an economic standpoint.

How do you feel about it? On the one hand, it probably is easier to simply hand pax a can and a cup with ice. But would this be that much of an extra burden?
Thank you yogimax, nice of you to say so.

Cans over bottles-- I would rather use cans. I'm not a fan of giving out a glass of ice and a can. I still pour and leave the can. Though I've been told by fellow flight attendant's that I slow up the service doing it that way. Years ago on international flights we had the small single serving cans of soda. I'd still open the can.

Originally Posted by cfischer
so what would change for the F cabin?
I believe it's considered acceptable right now.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is patently ridiculous. Eliminating free soft drinks and water would reduce NW to the worse airline in America - LCC or major. Surly staff, dirty/dingy planes, high fares, no IFE, 'coach choice'....the list goes on.

What a complete joke of a way to run a service business, especially while the competition are all looking for ways to improve and enhance service. There is no waste in using cans - customers can either accept the cup of huge ice chunks with a drizzle of soda or request the full can. If NW is going to refuse to give me a can of soda which costs them less than a dime in the face of my $300 ticket, they can go suck rotten eggs.

US tries to dissuade people from getting a full can of soda or juice, but I've been able to wrestle the full can out of their tightwad FAs on the few trips I've been cursed to take with them. Delta offers the can if asked, but even so, serves their beverages in large, full cups.

NW continues to race to the bottom of the barrel in its attempt to become the cheapest and worst airline in the western hemisphere.

They need to dump that executive team in a hurry. Outside of hub hostages or periodic cheap fares, I can't image why people fly NW. The 15% off coupon they just emailed me went right into the trash bin. I'm not interested.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:39 pm

All I'm going to say is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions based on what one flight attendant -- who admittedly hasn't provided or seen this new test service -- reports via another lone flight attendant.

But you all can, and will, develop whatever preconceived opinions you like before seeing it with your own eyes.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is patently ridiculous. Eliminating free soft drinks and water would reduce NW to the worse airline in America -
Free soft drinks would not be eliminated. The soft drinks that would be served would be from the bottle. In my original post I did say I was being vague on purpose because this is a test. Anything or everything can change. Premium soft drinks would be available for a price. Ultimately the passenger decides.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: WorldPerks, Sky Miles
I am assuming "premium" soft drinks are name brands like Coke, Pepsi, 7-up, Mountain Dew?

Does that mean the 2-liter bottles would be a "generic" soda just labeled something like "cola" or "lemon-lime"?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Free soft drinks would not be eliminated. The soft drinks that would be served would be from the bottle. In my original post I did say I was being vague on purpose because this is a test. Anything or everything can change. Premium soft drinks would be available for a price. Ultimately the passenger decides.
Served from the bottle into a cup filled to the brim with ice. On a long flight I need to be hydrated, and getting 4oz of liquid just isn't going to do it.

Besides the specifics, the whole scheme just smacks of 'screw the customer'. Even if it saves money, it just plain looks bad.

Ultimately this customer has decided to avoid NW, and no, not just for the reasons in this thread. The airline is headed in one direction, and it isn't a good one.

Dump your dead-weight management team before it's too late.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is patently ridiculous. Eliminating free soft drinks and water would reduce NW to the worse airline in America - LCC or major. Surly staff, dirty/dingy planes, high fares, no IFE, 'coach choice'....the list goes on.

What a complete joke of a way to run a service business, especially while the competition are all looking for ways to improve and enhance service. There is no waste in using cans - customers can either accept the cup of huge ice chunks with a drizzle of soda or request the full can. If NW is going to refuse to give me a can of soda which costs them less than a dime in the face of my $300 ticket, they can go suck rotten eggs.

US tries to dissuade people from getting a full can of soda or juice, but I've been able to wrestle the full can out of their tightwad FAs on the few trips I've been cursed to take with them. Delta offers the can if asked, but even so, serves their beverages in large, full cups.

NW continues to race to the bottom of the barrel in its attempt to become the cheapest and worst airline in the western hemisphere.

They need to dump that executive team in a hurry. Outside of hub hostages or periodic cheap fares, I can't image why people fly NW. The 15% off coupon they just emailed me went right into the trash bin. I'm not interested.
You obviously haven't flown US in the past year - reduced pitch and seats in F, terrible international business product, and horrible management. I will not stand for this critical opinion of NW when there's another airline that is much, much more worthy of everyone's hatred and derision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.