Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrades to asia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2002, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Superior Wi. USA nwa gold 1/2mm hhgold marriott silver priorityclub gld starwood gld
upgrades to asia

I am new to Nw but this year went platinum in the first 6 months.
I find it impossible to upgrade to Asia where I travel the most, any hints?
Old Jul 27, 2002, 9:17 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Typically, upgrades are tougher to get between DTW and NRT, as business class is filled by businesspeople. However, this is from experience before NW added a second flight between DTW and NRT. So, maybe it could be easier now.

For sure upgrades between SEA/LAX/SFO and NRT have been easier to get than between DTW and NRT.

What places in Asia are you interested in? It's relatively harder to get upgrades between NRT and BKK compared to other places.

Below is a link that shows you how to check upgrade availability online. The upgrade class is the "I" class.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum35/HTML/003609.html

Welcome to FT!

- Pat

P.S. Does you handle mean "water front" or the "rainy season"? Also, how long have you been lurking before taking the plunge and registering? I lurked for about 5 months before my first post.

[This message has been edited by Wiirachay (edited 07-27-2002).]
Old Jul 27, 2002, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Superior Wi. USA nwa gold 1/2mm hhgold marriott silver priorityclub gld starwood gld
Thanks for the response.
I fly from duluth....DLH through MSP to HKG, and from DLH to ICN.
I need to buy a I class ticket to upgrade, or are there other classes available to do so? Also is it easier to get from say an I class than a Y or M?
Old Jul 27, 2002, 11:16 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nanamn:
Thanks for the response.
I fly from duluth....DLH through MSP to HKG, and from DLH to ICN.
I need to buy a I class ticket to upgrade, or are there other classes available to do so? Also is it easier to get from say an I class than a Y or M?
</font>
Typically you buy a M fare (except for china) and upgrade with seats from the I inventory. You basically have to call on this, but use the link above to get a starting point and suggest several routings to the CSR coz they mat just check DTW-NRT-ICN and forget that you can go through MSP or LAX or SFO or SEA, where there may be availability. If you read some of my posts, you'll see thats what I typically have to do.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 8:08 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I fly from duluth....DLH through MSP to HKG, and from DLH to ICN.
I need to buy a I class ticket to upgrade, or are there other classes available to do so? Also is it easier to get from say an I class than a Y or M?</font>
M or B upgrades to "I" bucket. Y upgrades to "Z" bucket.

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 07-28-2002).]
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Also new to NW - Gold - are there lower fares that can be upgraded for Intl travel? Chances of getting them?
Old Jul 28, 2002, 10:57 am

I didn't realise that you could use your Elite status to upgrade to Asia?? I am a CO Silver Elite and I will be travelling to Amsterdam, Prague and Delhi this fall. I am assuming there are too many people (Platinum, Gold) ahead of me to get an upgrade but I didn't realise that I was eligible for one?? Is this true? Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2002, 11:43 am

elite status does not get you an upgrade internationally. it does help when dealng with agents, and there are rumors that PLATs find it easier to get upgrade availability.

Old Jul 30, 2002, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gottigotti:
elite status does not get you an upgrade internationally. it does help when dealng with agents, and there are rumors that PLATs find it easier to get upgrade availability.

</font>
Not quite. Been a plat for a while and never had an upgrade appear via any "elite line CSR" magic. It is true however that I've gotten operational upgrades a couple of times, I suspect because of plat status.

Pushpak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.