Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NORTHWORST 32 year old plane missing part of wall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NORTHWORST 32 year old plane missing part of wall

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2000, 8:01 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"one doesn't have to externalize every thought."

Believe me, motnot, I surely don't!

You do not know me- I'm being VERY restrained, IMHO!

FWIW, it was NOT bashing I was after here but rather humour that I sought, albeit admittedly at NWA's expense!

Again, no touche, but rather apologies!

Enjoy NWA!
Old Oct 24, 2000, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Originally posted by feddup:
afang and cigarman, why don't you do yourselves a favor and simply stop flying Northwest? You would be better off, and believe me - so would some of the rest of us. We wouldn't have to read your sad tales...
Very, nice. Cute name, new poster no e-mail... At least some of us don't hide when we take a position. I'm willing to take the heat. However you all will have to realize that I don't post all the time that NW is bad. I can think of three times in the last year. This one, another the same day (since I was mad at NW) and I agreed with many (intially) on the disabitily thread. My goal in life is not to constantly post here and bash NW. I believe that I made a VALID point based on a real fact. Not just I hate NW. Here is my point one last time... IF THEY IGNORE THAT MAINTANCE (because the plane is due to be retired) WHAT ELSE ARE THEY IGNORING??? I point to the AK jack screw thing. Is someone going, "well heck we should replace that part, but it still is barely within tolerance, and the plane only flies for another two months..." If you all cannot objectively argree that a plane should be maintained in a quality fashion...well then I guess we can't have a discussion. I repeat that I would complain about ANY airline that was poorly maintained.

Old Oct 24, 2000, 1:37 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
GOLLY! I wish they would patch that wall or take the plane out of service!

But would that end this string?
Old Oct 25, 2000, 2:24 am

doc, you were a good sport about my post. Looking back, I wish I hadn't posted it. The end of a long day, you know ...

Anyway, I won't be enjoying NW unless I'm redeeming my CO miles, or it's unavoidable. The no-miles-for-Cybersavers thing has convinced me to not give NW any of my money.
Old Oct 25, 2000, 4:41 am
doc

Absolutely NO problem, as I believe in free expression and also that you were quite respectful and presumably constructive as well!

I always TRY to be a good sport in ANY case!

Although I'm NOT a role model, all it takes is one child who thinks you are one!

Have a great day and thank you!
Old Oct 25, 2000, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
For a person that used to fly LGA-DTW every week for years, I am so happy that I don't make that trip anymore. The FA's always had an attitude. Once I complained about the bagel being hard as a rock and that my tooth almost broke, and asked for a new one. The FA said that they were all the same and that if I didn't like it, don't eat. They don't call it Northworst for nothing.
Old Oct 25, 2000, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have had mostly good experiences with NW. Sure I have had some challenging moments--but then again what traveler on any airline (especially in the north or the US in the winter) hasn't?

My question about the piece of the wall missing is do you consider it a real saftey problem or just an asthetic issue. If it truly isn't related to saftey, I would rather they continue the flight and repair the hole when possible rather than cancelling or delaying the flight. I very much doubt that NW has many extra planes on a moments notice in Indy, perhaps they were planning to complete the scedule and replace the plane in DTW?
Old Oct 26, 2000, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
The Mile Dog, EXCELLENT question! Thank You for not slamming me for not loving NW, and asking your question. I don't know (obviously) whether the it is cosmetic or not. But, I do know that since it was missing screws? rivets? whatever...that it didn't Just fall off. And the plane had been to DTW in the last 24 hours. It probably was cosmetic. And that's my point. They don't care enough to make the planes right. I'm sure they decided it wasn't worth the cost since the plane was so close to retirement. Hence my original comments on hating their OLD outdated fleet.
Old Jun 15, 2001, 8:24 am
doc

Northwest Airlines now has the nation's oldest fleet- the average aircraft is about 20 years old- but CEO Richard Anderson says they will take delivery of a new plane every other week for the next 5 years.

NWA's ancient, decrepit DC-9s will remain in the fleet, however....
Old Jun 15, 2001, 9:52 am

deleted

[This message has been edited by MRJ1964 (edited 09-01-2001).]
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
Northwest Airlines now has the nation's oldest fleet[...] [/B]</font>
With plenty of other threads out there on NW's acquisition of new planes, what purpose is served by picking this one for the "doc-operated mindless thread resuscitation machine", especially to repeat information already out there anyway?

I now realize you had to be kidding when you said you are selective in what you post.
Old Jun 15, 2001, 1:42 pm
doc

"With plenty of other threads out there on NW's acquisition of new planes, what purpose is served by picking this one for the "doc-operated mindless thread resuscitation machine", especially to repeat information already out there anyway?

I now realize you had to be kidding when you said you are selective in what you post."

---

Assuming, perhaps wrongfully, that the question posed is not simply rhetorical, I'll note that perhaps since this thread, which is somewhat amusing to some, dealt with both the issues of old planes and specifically the DC-9 aircraft - among other reasons!

Kidding?

Are you kidding?

The point, IMHO, is that happily NWA is getting LOTS of new aircraft. Yet, interestingly the DC-9 will seemingly not be quickly phased out!

Thanks very much for expressing your rightful opinion, even if it is horrendously inappropriate in my view. Needless to say, I do not share agreement with you regarding your assessment!

Why, may I ask, would you publically judge me and/or my posts?

Do you assume that your opinions are somehow more valid than mine or any other folks on the FT boards?

Did Randy & Co actually "deputize" you to scan the boards for "mindless and worthless" posts (as you call them) in order to expunge them and their makers?

Or did you simply appoint yourself to speak for others and for our hosts?

Forgive me for I'm easily confused. Please accept my apologies for this ongoing confusion as well as for my numerous shortcomings!

One day, perhaps with great practice and effort, I too can show the same judgement, knowledge, wit, insight, charm, grace and tact as you!

Yet, if not, I'll somehow manage in any case!

And until all FT'ers can be as consistently "mindful" and "worthwhile" as you manifestly deem yourself to be, may I suggest that you simply try to possibly overlook the faults of others such as myself in the interests of all involved!

Just a suggestion!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old Jun 15, 2001, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...the age of an aircraft means nothing if it's well-maintained..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, I quit believing about the tooth fairy and the above often quoted myth after a few years in industry (and after doing a couple fault tree analysis's on very unfortunate industrial accidents). Many nasty things happen to mechanical and electrical parts that do not show up during the many mandated and scheduled tests. Also many of these can be on the molecular level where it is impossible to ascertain the fault without time consuming and expensive tests. You dont see many members of Congress, the NTSB, FAA, CAB etc tooling around in DC-3's or Ford Tri-Motors anymore.

As for the recent B777 or B767 problems, sh*t happens and problems occur. Ships have "shake-down" cruises specifically for this purpose.......and airplanes too. Probably the only reason why you did not read about "smoke in the cockpit" of a DC-4 yesterday is that there are not too many of these in scheduled service lately. And I am glad for that.

Dont get me wrong, all airplanes NEED good maintaince. IMHO most older planes need far more maintaince than most newer planes. Watch out for the maiden flights though. Happy flying.

MisterNice

Old Jun 15, 2001, 4:23 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
When I was doing a lot of CO and NW, I did find he upgrade process much easier. Yes, CO's F is better than NW's, but I have seen an improvement in the past year or two.

For NE U.S. travelers to SFO, AirOutlet has such great prices that I couldn't possibly book a trip on CO aircraft. For the past year, I haven't paid more than $251 for a trip to SFO from LGA. Is that worth the trouble of bringing some breakfast of my own to avoid NW's F breakfast? And avoiding the standing-by for F at the gate ten minutes pre-departure as on CO? Absolutely.

I have been elite with NW since I was 22, and I have never seen airline "parts" exposed. Fuss made over one non-dangerous incident is ridiculous.

From my experiences on UA when I was in CHI for a terribly long 14 months & 28 days, I can say that, because of the ground crews and FAs in CHI compared to MEM or MSP, I am fine with dealing with NW personnel (and I have seen improvement even in DTW in the past two years).

As far as access to Fargo, et al. is concerned, I have rarely found that a city is only served by ONE airline. Just glanced at PIT-FAR; sure enough, UA goes there.

Maybe cigarman was just having the DTs for a nicotine fix that day.
Old Jun 17, 2001, 2:41 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond

Let's be honest. NW has had a bad service reputation for years. I now live in Milwaukee (no "Laverne and Shirley" jokes, please)and end up flying NW about half the time (the rest on CO). Is NW terrible? Not usually. Does it have the same quality of service as CO? Definitely not. Will it improve? We can hope.
In general, my experiences with NW have been "ok". Domestic FC beats domestic coach, but not by much. Hawaii service cannot begin to compare to CO's Hawaii service, in comfort or in food service. Many of the planes are old, and for some really STUPID reason, none of the A320's have an entertainment system, but are used on 3-5hr flights all the time. Many, but definitely not all of more senior flight attendants seem to have the "why should we care, we will be retired or dead soon" attitude that only comes with having burned out years ago.
HOWEVER, field stations customer service reps, like here in MKE, tend to be very friendly and knowledgable (they are the great in MKE!). WorldPerks lounges are usually well-stocked and clean, and less-senior flight attendants and other staff are often friendly and helpful.
NW definitely has some serious customer service and reputation problems. I recognize this when I choose to fly them, and simply expect less. Unfortunately,that is usually what I get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.