Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Problems Changing Ticket : [Resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

I booked a trip for my husband and I for December using my world perk miles. He is in the service and has received orders to go to Iraq. Needless to say, he will be unable to make the December trip.

I called NWA and asked for a name change for the ticket, that they will not do, saying that the FAA will not allow it (not sure that I believe that). They said that they will redeposit the miles into my account for a $50.00 fee, for each ticket and then I can rebook. Well, as chance would have it the "price" has gone up and they don't even have this same trip listed.

For me to do this my out of pocket expense would be $140.00, because I had to pay the $10.00 fee for each ticket when I booked and would have to pay it again when I re-booked.

Apparently some people (NWA) are unpatriotic and have little or no value for our soldiers that are in harms way fighting for OUR freedom and making great scarifies themselves, not to mention their families!

This just makes me sick! It's not that we went all willy nilly making plans and changing them for what ever reason. We have NO control over this, none!

I plan on contacting the FAA tomorrow for starters, anyone ever been in this situation? Any advise?
Thanks in advance!

Please go easy on me, this is my first post. If I have made mistakes, please point them out and I will be happy to correct.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sue-Mi
I booked a trip for my husband and I for December using my world perk miles. He is in the service and has received orders to go to Iraq. Needless to say, he will be unable to make the December trip.

I called NWA and asked for a name change for the ticket, that they will not do, saying that the FAA will not allow it (not sure that I believe that). They said that they will redeposit the miles into my account for a $50.00 fee, for each ticket and then I can rebook. Well, as chance would have it the "price" has gone up and they don't even have this same trip listed.

For me to do this my out of pocket expense would be $140.00, because I had to pay the $10.00 fee for each ticket when I booked and would have to pay it again when I re-booked.

Apparently some people (NWA) are unpatriotic and have little or no value for our soldiers that are in harms way fighting for OUR freedom and making great scarifies themselves, not to mention their families!

This just makes me sick! It's not that we went all willy nilly making plans and changing them for what ever reason. We have NO control over this, none!

I plan on contacting the FAA tomorrow for starters, anyone ever been in this situation? Any advise?
Thanks in advance!

Please go easy on me, this is my first post. If I have made mistakes, please point them out and I will be happy to correct.
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

I don't know how much sympathy you'll find here. I was lambasted because I posted that if I have room I bring our soldiers up to FC. Good luck!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Welcome to FT Sue-Mi! ^

I'm pretty sure that the name change is indeed an FAA rule, although one that greatly favors the airlines.

I also don't think that patriotism (or lack thereof) has anything to do. Perhaps you could write NWA and outline the situation. Perhaps someone else will understand it better, and forgive the re-deposit fee.

Good luck!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
Sue-Mi

welcome to FT!

I suggest you write a letter to NWA, where you explain your case, ask them to waive the fees paid when miles are redeposited. You might want to enclose all supporting documentation.

Per http://www.nwa.com/plan/comm12.html send the letter to
Northwest Airlines
Customer Care
PO Box 1908
Minot, ND 58702
Phone: 701-420-6282
Fax: 651-367-8459

I have to believe that if NWA can do Active Military WorldPerks® Elite Extension then they can favorably respond to your request.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Welcome to FlyerTalk,

I have to say that I don't see how NW is being unpatriotic. Why would they have to be patriotic for that matter? They are running a business, afterall, with fiduciary obligations to its stakeholders. Certainly, your $140 will most likely not make them or break them, but thats $140 more in their revenue. Thats why there are clearly stated rules that don't have to do anything with being "patriotic" or otherwise, they are in the business of providing transportation, not in the business of being emotional, for whatever reason it may be.

On the personal level, however, I do feel bad for the fact that you have to incur extra expense because your travel plans have changed.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks NWAFA!

I really don't see the need for getting lambasted! I guess some people have a feeling of entitlement, hmmm... again that would be our troops fighting for our freedom! Imagine that.

Good for you. I'm glad that there are people that have appreciation for what our soldiers are doing. REGARDLESS of political thoughts on the issue.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: CO, Hertz, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Hi. Welcome to FT.

I'm not sure that NWA is unpatriotic - have a feeling that you may have gotten a customer service person who didn't realize that there should be exceptions to some rules.

I think it might be worth it to call again. And ask to speak to a supervisor if it's not resolved to your satisfaction. Here are a list of other numbers that might help you http://www.nwa.com/travel/nwati/

I'd also try to lodge a complaint on their website https://www.nwa.com/talk/ttu.html

Finally, if neither of those work, then I'd send a letter to the company expressing your concerns.

Last edited by ocApple; Jun 11, 2007 at 7:26 pm Reason: deleted an extra line
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Sue-Mi
Thanks NWAFA!

I really don't see the need for getting lambasted! I guess some people have a feeling of entitlement, hmmm... again that would be our troops fighting for our freedom! Imagine that.

Good for you. I'm glad that there are people that have appreciation for what our soldiers are doing. REGARDLESS of political thoughts on the issue.
I appreciate all soldiers' service, however I sense someone else with a sense of entitlement on this thread.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asnovici
I have to say that I don't see how NW is being unpatriotic. Why would they have to be patriotic for that matter?
It seem that with; AirCares, Fisher house foundation, Active military world perks elite extention, and allowing the active military on orders up to 70# with their checked luggage would be a start.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by asnovici
I have to say that I don't see how NW is being unpatriotic. Why would they have to be patriotic for that matter? They are running a business, afterall, with fiduciary obligations to its stakeholders.
I agree. I believe people in other forums have posted about having medical emergencies and not being able to get a refund/change without a lot of work. I think it has nothing to do with patriotism.

Mail them appropriate supporting documentation and see what happens.

I think it's rude to call people unpatriotic for not bending over backwards for soldiers. There is no draft. We all have our roll in society.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:07 pm

If NW were unpatriotic, it is highly unlikely they would extend the Elite status of Silver/Gold/Plat WP members who got deployed (see below).

I don't believe any airline allows you to change the name on a ticket once it's been purchased.

The OP never specifically mentioned that NW was informed of the situation at hand here (although it may well have been mentioned). I second notsosmart's suggestion to write NWA with the details and ask to have the redeposit fee waived.

From NW's website:
Active Military WorldPerks® Elite Extension
Thank You United States Armed Forces!

Northwest Airlines® and the WorldPerks® program would like to thank all military personnel who bravely serve our country! In recognition of your commitment, Northwest will extend your 2006 WorldPerks Elite membership through February 29, 2008.

Requirements for Elite extension:

1. You must be a 2006 WorldPerks Elite member.
2. You must have been on active military duty and deployed during 2006 (includes guard/reserve personnel activated and deployed).
3. You must register for the Elite extension.

Instructions to register for Elite extension:

1. You must fax to 1-218-254-7566 a written request, your WorldPerks account number, and your official deployment papers: - Active Military Personnel - Deployed on Official Travel orders - National Guard or Reserve Forces - Activation/Mobilization form or Official Travel orders.
2. Request must be received by December 31, 2007.

* You may conceal the Social Security number field.

Reference Code: GWOR ELITEDUTY07
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I appreciate all soldiers' service, however I sense someone else with a sense of entitlement on this thread.

I'm sorry, you are wrong on that! I am only asking them to work with me on something that is out of our control.

Furthermore, I have made many sacrifices with the military in the past 20+ years, without a complaint, thank you very much.

Last edited by Sue-Mi; Jun 11, 2007 at 6:21 pm
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

I don't know how much sympathy you'll find here. I was lambasted because I posted that if I have room I bring our soldiers up to FC. Good luck!
you were???? There was an old thread a few years ago about doing that with our elite companion upgrades (I've been doing that ever since....I usually ask the gate agent not to reveal who upgraded them and to just tell them a thankful fellow American did it)
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: CO, Hertz, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Sue-Mi

Did you see Jano's post about a special World Perks number for the military? http://www.nwa.com/features/militaryelite/index.html
They might be able to help.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by ocApple
Sue-Mi

Did you see Jano's post about a special World Perks number for the military? http://www.nwa.com/features/militaryelite/index.html
They might be able to help.

Excellent suggestion! ^ ^

Furthermore, I have made many scarifies with the military in the past 20+ years, without a complaint, thank you very much.
I don't think that is either here or there, though, again, most of us appreciate these sacrifices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.