Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NEW Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Cups in NW First Class [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold

I didn't see any other threads on this, so I thought I'd post it. Yesterday, dinner on MSP-DCA had two very good hot meals (ravioli or chicken) and, much to my surprise, Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream for dessert. While not a freshly made ice cream sundae, it was definitely a nice touch and change from the cookies of late!

The SEA-MSP flight also had two hot lunch options and a real dessert (cheesecake).
Old Jun 2, 2007, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I didn't see any other threads on this, so I thought I'd post it. Yesterday, dinner on MSP-DCA had two very good hot meals (ravioli or chicken) and, much to my surprise, Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream for dessert. While not a freshly made ice cream sundae, it was definitely a nice touch and change from the cookies of late!

The SEA-MSP flight also had two hot lunch options and a real dessert (cheesecake).
yeah, it is improving, cheese/apple cake, chocolate cake and options ^ on my recent flights
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL
Wink

I'm not sure if they still do it but HNL-SEA they have Ice Cream in first class. Tasty . . . I was always fascinated in how they were chilling the ice cream and learned that they have Dry Ice packets. @:-) Fun to play with. . . .
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by aviationjlr
I'm not sure if they still do it but HNL-SEA they have Ice Cream in first class. Tasty . . . I was always fascinated in how they were chilling the ice cream and learned that they have Dry Ice packets. @:-) Fun to play with. . . .
Ice cream on those flights have been eliminated a long time ago... but perhaps they're coming back. Who knows.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Soon to be an ex-WP PE
Originally Posted by slippahs
Ice cream on those flights have been eliminated a long time ago... but perhaps they're coming back. Who knows.
Had a choice of Sorbet or Ice Cream on MSP-HNL flight on the 333.

Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by rtarbuck
Had a choice of Sorbet or Ice Cream on MSP-HNL flight on the 333.

I was speaking to the West Coast-Hawai`i flights. It's been well known that HNL-MSP has the choice between the coconut ice cream and the pineapple sorbet.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:40 am

On May 30th, I worked one of the first test flights with 'for sale' ice cream in the main cabin roundtrip MSP-LAS. First Class got one on each tray, and we sold them in the main cabin for 2.00 each. I didn't expect to sell many, as they seemed very small for 2.00. We had B&J Chocolate Fudge Brownie (they got the Cherry Garcia in F/C), and I sold almost every one we had (heck, I even bought one myself). We had a 'rep' on board who went around getting feedback from the buyers. From the results we got, I expect to see the ice cream on more flights in the future.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Skypesos PE, PP Platinum, HH DIAMOND, AA, CH GE, SPG
How do they keep the ice cream frozen, especially when catering is loaded for downline sometimes.... I'm guessing dry ice?
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by cdnpilot
How do they keep the ice cream frozen, especially when catering is loaded for downline sometimes.... I'm guessing dry ice?
Yes. It's boarded in boxes layered with dry ice. As always, the trick is to take it off the dry ice soon enough so it's not frozen solid when served, and late enough so it's not too soft when served. It's easier up front because you know that you'll serve them all at the same time. It's harder in the back because you don't know how many you'll sell, and if it gets too soft, it doesn't refreeze nicely. I didn't take them all off the ice, because I really didn't expect to sell that many. When they started selling quickly, I took the rest off the ice, but many folks had to wait a bit to eat them because the spoon wouldn't even make a dent it them
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
This is great news. It is the biggest thing I missed from NWA FC versus CO FC.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by basejumper
On May 30th, I worked one of the first test flights with 'for sale' ice cream in the main cabin roundtrip MSP-LAS. First Class got one on each tray, and we sold them in the main cabin for 2.00 each.
basejumper
just a quick note to let you and your colleagues who participate in FT know how much we appreciate your participation. knowing a little more about how things go from your pov is always interesting.
tom
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Ben & Jerry's

Flight on Sunday 6/17 MSP - SFO we were served a Ben & Jerry's ice cream cup. This was a first for me. Is this something new ? I did a search and couldn't find any links. Thanks, NW.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: Skyclub lifetime, Priority Pass, HH Gold.
Originally Posted by Hate Coach
Flight on Sunday 6/17 MSP - SFO we were served a Ben & Jerry's ice cream cup. This was a first for me. Is this something new ? I did a search and couldn't find any links. Thanks, NW.
That should make mileage runs a lot more enjoyable! What flavor were they serving?
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I vote for Cherry Garcia!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
I got Cherry Garcia last tuesday DTW-LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.