Search

Looking for Seat Advice in Coach

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: nwa Plt since '00,aa, dl, jal, np, hi
Looking for Seat Advice in Coach

Hi All

Looks like my hopes for an UPG on the NRT - MSP flight is getting slimmer (even with a B fare.)

That said, I am trying to figure the best seat choice. Currently am in EE 51C, but Seat Guru says it gets really loud from the FA (and I believe from previous experience they are right.) I notice the EE seats in 36A and 36K are still available...even though they are window seats, there is no seat in front creating a nice little area to spread out.

Thoughts on what is the lesser of the 2 evils. If they had a decent AVOD system on the old 747's, it wouldn't be so bad, but since the have the G rated Lassie movie playing continuoulsy for 12 hours...I need to at least stay comfortable!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM
What type of plane? Sounds like a 747. The noise form the galley is only during meals from what I have seen. Should be quiet much of the flight after aeveryone settles down.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Tried and true old reliable 747. I do remember, the last time I sat in the exit row, I was able to listen to the FA's complain about how much they hated their jobs and NWA...wish they could have taken that outside...lol
Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: NW Gold Elite, DL, HH, Victoria Court Select Member
Originally Posted by mrpanels
Hi All

Looks like my hopes for an UPG on the NRT - MSP flight is getting slimmer (even with a B fare.)

That said, I am trying to figure the best seat choice. Currently am in EE 51C, but Seat Guru says it gets really loud from the FA (and I believe from previous experience they are right.) I notice the EE seats in 36A and 36K are still available...even though they are window seats, there is no seat in front creating a nice little area to spread out.

Thoughts on what is the lesser of the 2 evils. If they had a decent AVOD system on the old 747's, it wouldn't be so bad, but since the have the G rated Lassie movie playing continuoulsy for 12 hours...I need to at least stay comfortable!
They don't play the same movie over and over now. Personally, I like row 21 when flying coach. Thats the first row which makes it easier to get on/off the plane. A/B/C of row 21 is handicapped accessible but you can easily reserve one of these seats (if available) with your Elite status. The only thing that distinguishes them are the folding trays and the movable arm rest. There are rarely handicapped people who "need" them. If there becomes a need you can easily switch to a comparable seat. I don't think you can go wrong with most of the exit row seats. I'd be wary of the 36 A & K seats. The door has a contour and restricts leg room. There is no one in front of you but the door tends to protrude into the leg room area.

Last edited by viking407rob; Jun 1, 2007 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM
Yeah I had that seat before the labor issues. Now I usually get 29B on the 330's and get to chat with the FA's before takeoff and then silence.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ttk56
Yeah I had that seat before the labor issues. Now I usually get 29B on the 330's and get to chat with the FA's before takeoff and then silence.
^

Reminds me how much I miss "Strawberry Cheesecake Guy" on BOS-GLA. Would always come on board with a smile and a huge cheesecake! If there were an empty WBC seat available, he got it! If you want to sit up front, forget the money, sweets and chocolate's are the way to go!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Seats 36A and 36K are not as good as they look on seatmaps and seat guru.
The exit door protrudes into the cabin taking almost all the space a seat would take in row 35 A/K. You can squeeze through to row 35 if you are of normal size, permiting you to get to the aisle without having the passengers in 36 B/C/H/K get up. A much better option is rows 21, 35, 51, if you can get them. That being said, they are probably the best A or C seats in economy, except the three rows mentioned above.
Dave
Old Jun 1, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by NWAFA
^

Reminds me how much I miss "Strawberry Cheesecake Guy" on BOS-GLA. Would always come on board with a smile and a huge cheesecake! If there were an empty WBC seat available, he got it! If you want to sit up front, forget the money, sweets and chocolate's are the way to go!
Yes, nice chocolates worked for me once. I got an op-up from SFO to NRT and then on to BKK on the upper deck. But, I always bring them for the GAs and FAs in anycase. (Usually Lindt truffles).They are appreciated, and puts the cabin crew in a good mood for a very long flight.
Dave
Old Jun 1, 2007, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dave
Yes, nice chocolates worked for me once. I got an op-up from SFO to NRT and then on to BKK on the upper deck. But, I always bring them for the GAs and FAs in anycase. (Usually Lindt truffles).They are appreciated, and puts the cabin crew in a good mood for a very long flight.
Dave
^

I'm tellin' ya, it works! The old pilot joke, How do you get a FA to come up to the cockpit? Throw a candy bar on the floor.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
36A/k have no windows, you can get a view to the back of your head from the forward window in row 37. I recently flew in seats 36a and 36k going/coming back. As mentioned, the exit door extends out and takes up some of your leg room, so it isn't free and clear, the FA's remind you that the exit door is not a footrest. If you're not terribly big, you can angle and squeeze out between the door and 35A/35D, got to be careful and not slip your hand into 35's head. @_@
I didn't think they were bad seats, however 21, 35 and 51 were taken, If you are in 51 now I would stick there, since 21, 35 maybe taken already.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. You reconfirmed my suspicions. Now if I can only get an extension cord to go into the galley to keep my battery charged up for the flight home...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

You know, I did that once...I had extra cans of Macadamia nuts from HI and gave them to FA at the beginning of a flight...they were so stunned...they didn't know what to say. I don't think it would work in NRT as they are pretty buttoned up and sticklers for the rules. But, I may offer that up the FA's in the coach galley that sit by me. Good thought - thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.