Wiki Posts
Search

AMS-DTW on a 757-200??

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
AMS-DTW on a 757-200??

I went to choose my seats for an AMS-DTW flight on July 30. I was surprised to see that the airplane seat map was only four rows; and indeed the aircraft was listed as a 757-200. I called the PE line and the agent assured me that a 200 would be used on that flight. That's the same kind of plane that is used first-class domestically and doesn't even have movies.

I asked to speak to a supervisor assuring the agent I did not have an issue with her. I just wanted to know why NW was switching the plane to a 200 when we have an airbus 300 flying DTW-AMS. The supervisor was rude. She said "You are making assumptions and I don't think you should do that." I replied "Assumptions about what?" Her reply: "Assumptions about what kind of plane the 200 would be like." When I asked her if I could change to a flight that used an airbus 300 she replied "No, I don't like to help people who make assumptions, do you? I will leave you where you are. How about that?" I hung up.

What would you have done?
Old May 1, 2007, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
I asked to speak to a supervisor assuring the agent I did not have an issue with her. I just wanted to know why NW was switching the plane to a 200 when we have an airbus 300 flying DTW-AMS. The supervisor was rude. She said "You are making assumptions and I don't think you should do that." I replied "Assumptions about what?" Her reply: "Assumptions about what kind of plane the 200 would be like." When I asked her if I could change to a flight that used an airbus 300 she replied "No, I don't like to help people who make assumptions, do you? I will leave you where you are. How about that?" I hung up.

What would you have done?
I would write to TTU, and complain about the stupervisor. I think there are some threads about using the 757 to Europe in the NW forum. Some have been retrofitted, but I don't recall what the entertainment is like.

I do agree with you, and I'd rather have a A330, than a 757, for sure.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
Well you were making assumptions about the quality of the seats: see this thread. But it was extremely unprofessional of her to give you an attitude, especially on the plat line.

One side of me would want to push to get a supervisor, document the time of the call, try to report it, etc. etc. The lazy side of me would hang up and call again to get switched to the 330 and forget about the previous call.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:54 am
Original Poster

A quick follow-up: I called NW PE line again and got a nice agent this time. She said NW was starting to fly 200s over the Atlantic. I said "Well, there will be no movies". She said that video players would be distributed to each passenger and that yes, there would only be four rows in WBC. I can only imagine how bad economy would be. I know NW wants out of bankrupcy in June but this is really extreme IMHO. Luckily there was still room on an airbus 300 leaving earlier so I rebooked on that.

Jaimito, I agree that writing would be a good idea. The only trouble is I can't remember what the supervisor's name is. I think I remember what it is but I'm not sure. Will that make a difference? And what's TTU?
Old May 1, 2007, 9:58 am

Well... the flight is not going to be in a domestic first configuration, so that should assuage some of your fears. They will have WBC seats (although not the same ones on the 330). Also, a NW press release said that they will have portable audio/video on demand players.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:59 am

How bad economy will be? They are ripping out 4 rows and giving every row 4inches more leg room. That is quite nice after the tight 330's they are flying right now in the back. The only downside to the 757 I see is no AVOD.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:00 am

And what's TTU?
TTU = Talk To Us https://www.nwa.com/talk/ttu.html; it's NW's online comment submission mechanism.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jaimito, I agree that writing would be a good idea. The only trouble is I can't remember what the supervisor's name is. I think I remember what it is but I'm not sure.
I would give the time of the call, and also a compliment for the follow-up agent you talked to. I really believe that bad service needs to be pointed out, or otherwise the bad apples will never be booted out of the system.

I try to write down the agent and supervisors name when they come on the line. If they don't give their names, I ask for it.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:09 am
Original Poster

I did follow the link provided; thanks. The news release said the WBC section of the 200s would have 16 rows. Yet the seat map I got to choose from only had four rows. That was my concern. I thought (and yes it was an assumption) that it would be the same thing as domestic FC because it only had four rows. And the agent (not the snotty supervisor) did tell me her seat map also only had four rows.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did follow the link provided; thanks. The news release said the WBC section of the 200s would have 16 rows. Yet the seat map I got to choose from only had four rows. That was my concern. I thought (and yes it was an assumption) that it would be the same thing as domestic FC because it only had four rows. And the agent (not the snotty supervisor) did tell me her seat map also only had four rows.
I'd guess that perhaps it was a typo, as I'm sure it's 16 seats, not rows! (4 x 4 =16).
Old May 1, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
However the 757 normally has 6 rows, so there will be better seats with more legroom. We won't know whether it is better, worse, or about the same until people start flying these routes and give reports.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
She said that video players would be distributed to each passenger and that yes, there would only be four rows in WBC. I can only imagine how bad economy would be. I know NW wants out of bankrupcy in June but this is really extreme IMHO.
You've obviously not flown AA, CO, DL and others who regularly fly 757's across the Atlantic.

NW is a late entry to narrowbodies across the Atlantic, but with the dedicated aircraft, WBC seating and removing the rows in Y, and the conversions not yet completed, I think it's to early to cast judgement.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by nroscoe
You've obviously not flown AA, CO, DL and others who regularly fly 757's across the Atlantic.

NW is a late entry to narrowbodies across the Atlantic, but with the dedicated aircraft, WBC seating and removing the rows in Y, and the conversions not yet completed, I think it's to early to cast judgement.
AA does not reconfigure their 757's for the single remaining 757 TRANSATL route (BOS-MAN). They are sold as 1 class and only elites and full fare Y can book the domestic first class seats. You still get Y service, however, in these seats.

Being stuck in economy for 6hours on a 757 on AA would be horrible.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Do you honestly think that a 757 would have 16 rows , of business class seating, 64 seats?? A 747-400 has 18 full rows of WBC and 65 total seats.

Did you do any research before making a assumptions? If you read any of the releases correctly, they state that it will be WBC seating up front and that economy on the 757's will actually have more legroom than the A330. NW doesn't operate A300's.

There are 5 flights/day DTW-AMS in the summer. You could have chosen the A330.
Old May 1, 2007, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
A quick search on this forum or on nwa.com would have given you the information needed. For example, nwa.com shows the seat maps for this aircraft on trans-Atlantic routes. Don't worry, you should be fine on this newly-configured aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.