Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with orphan miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

What to do with orphan miles

I have 33K+ orphan miles and can't seem to be able to find a single use for them. NWA doesn't fly any of the routes that I routinely fly, and their codeshare partners require Sat stayovers, which I rarely do. Also, I'm not interested in adding another credit card just to bump up the miles. Are there any tricks out there to transfer them out?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

This should give you some direction, but remember converting from one program to another... you will lose a considerable amount of miles.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MikesMiles
I have 33K+ orphan miles and can't seem to be able to find a single use for them. NWA doesn't fly any of the routes that I routinely fly, and their codeshare partners require Sat stayovers, which I rarely do. Also, I'm not interested in adding another credit card just to bump up the miles. Are there any tricks out there to transfer them out?
If you don't want to use or convert them, you could give them to charity --- no tax deduction though --- because they have no real value etc.

Bob H
Old Apr 17, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
At 35k, there are a number of carribean and central american trips. You can find someone to trade a 2,000 mile NWA cert for something you have. This will pop you up to 35k.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:51 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.

I'm suprised no one has offered to take them off your hands. Well, I might as well be the one. I'll take 'em and put them to good use!

Other than that, I can only think of a few things.

Transfer them out for a big hit.
Magazines?
Keep the miles around just in case you need em.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
At 35k, there are a number of carribean and central american trips.
Not to mention Hawai'i. Who doesn't like Hawai'i?

Sign me up to take the miles off your hands. Next in line behind party_boy, of course.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:55 pm

Programs: (formerly) Northwest, Continental, Delta, American, United, ANA
I also have small numbers of orphan miles on other carriers, and routinely use them to give magazine subscriptions as gifts. You may want to consider gifting the magazines to a nearby Ronald McDonald House or a Fisher House (same thing but near military hospitals). Lots of wounded troops in long-term rehab, and their families are living at these Fisher Houses...
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Not to mention Hawai'i. Who doesn't like Hawai'i?
You know, there are actually people don't like Hawai`i (thanks for using the okina ).

FWIW, I wouldn't necessarily consider 33k miles orphan miles. Despite the constant devaluation in miles, I'd just hold on to them because you never really know when you might need them. I've redeemed miles twice in the last year within 3 days of a trip because of a pressing need to be somewhere. Granted, the PerkSaver rewards require that Sat. night stay.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:59 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Bear in mind that you can also buy a ticket for someone else. I've redeemed roughly 3 times more miles for other people than I have for myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.