Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

flight changed from non-stop to 1-stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I had booked a non-stop flight from DTW to BOS 1:35pm-3:26pm along with a non-stop from BOS-DTW 2:05pm-4:29. Now I have a flight change from NWA which is as follows DTW-BOS 1:35pm-3:26, BOS-IND 1:25pm-3:59 then IND-DTW 4:52pm-6:05pm.

My 2 questions are,1. what can I do to get back on a non-stop flight home with out costing me additional fees

2. If the first leg of the flight is late, and I miss the connecting flight, is NWA responsible to make sure I get on the next available flight back to DTW without costing me additional fees?

Thank you for the help
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Schedule changes happen -- especially on flights booked well in advance. NW now has you leaving DTW earlier and arriving later, let alone the 1-stop arrangement. To add insult to injury, you will likely be enjoying a CRJ flight as well.

It has been my experience that NW is willing to change to another flight that will suit your needs. If you booked this online, you should be able to investigate change options at NWA.COM. When you have selected the flights you would prefer, it will 're-price' the itinerary, and you should get a message that states 'no change in fees due to schedule change' or something like that. If you get advice of a fee, you can cancel out of it without being charged.

If that does not work, call the 800 number and talk to an agent. Explain that you have a timing problem with the new flight schedule, booked a direct flight and will not accept a re-route connection, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:34 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Since NW changed your schedule, you can basically request what you want and they'll most likely honor it within reason. I had a flight cancel from MIA to MSP and they auto booked me to the nearest times which took me thru MEM to MSP. I ended up asking for the earlier nonstop to MSP and pushing back my connecting flight to LAX so that I could have a nice dinner with some friends with a long layover in MSP.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Call 800 number and request a change.....It should work
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by jonpe1
I had booked ... a non-stop from BOS-DTW 2:05pm-4:29.
This is a couple months out at least, right? I'm not seeing the 2:05 flight at all for closer dates.

Now I have a flight change ... BOS-IND 1:25pm-3:59 then IND-DTW 4:52pm-6:05pm.
Okay, so you were on NW 381 (A319, 621 miles) and now they want to put you on... NW 4785 (CRJ, 816 miles) then NW 538 (A320, 241 miles).

You're not in this for the EQMs/EQSs, are you? Because that IND-DTW would give you the minimum of 500 miles, which, added to the 816 for BOS-IND, is more than double the mileage of BOS-DTW direct.

(And if they rebooked you in full Y - which might not be too much to ask for a random rebooking - you should get 50% bonus EQMs...)
Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the airline makes the change, you can get all your money back without any fees or you can usually re-book any flight on the same day. I even did a date change once (I was a Plat) with a little pleading. The CRJ do suck.

MisterNice
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Originally Posted by DanTravels
(And if they rebooked you in full Y - which might not be too much to ask for a random rebooking - you should get 50% bonus EQMs...)
Have you had experience with this?
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlbcard
Have you had experience with this?
Not personally, no - but when I've read about other people being rebooked, VDB'ed, IDB'ed, or whatever here on FlyerTalk, it appears common. I could certainly be wrong.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Not personally, no - but when I've read about other people being rebooked, VDB'ed, IDB'ed, or whatever here on FlyerTalk, it appears common. I could certainly be wrong.
It's not intentional, it's agent error. If you ask for it, you will draw attention to it, and most certainly be booked in your originally booked fare class.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
It's not intentional, it's agent error. If you ask for it, you will draw attention to it, and most certainly be booked in your originally booked fare class.
Oh, okay. My bad. Thanks for the correction!

I guess I was thinking it was along the lines of international VDBs where they offer business class on the flight they're bumping people to.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:51 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Oh, okay. My bad. Thanks for the correction!

I guess I was thinking it was along the lines of international VDBs where they offer business class on the flight they're bumping people to.
This often happens with VDB and happened with me last week with DL. My T class from MSP to ATL was subsequently changed to Y class from MSP to CVG and C class from CVG to ATL. So I picked up a few extra miles and a few extra EQM, not to mention 4 bump vouchers.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Smile

I wish I would had known about this site last year, when I really started to travel. ^

The other flights returning from BOS-DTW are in the early morning, so that's not an option but at least I know in the future that I can change my flight.

I love how they put you on a CRJ for the longest part of the flight.

Thanks to everyone for their help, and I'm sure I will have more questions in the future.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish I would had known about this site last year, when I really started to travel.
I feel your pain. I wish I'd known about it in 2004, when after not setting foot on a plane for almost two years, I wound up doing 28K BIS in the last 4 months of the year, but on all different carriers and alliances, so earned no status. I wish I'd known about it in 2005, when I racked up 70K, again on all different carriers and alliances, and managed to still miss even silver. And I wish I'd known about it before I did a 1000+ CFM trip mostly on cheap CO fares with only 50% EQMs in March of last year... I would've made various elite levels a lot sooner!
Old Apr 7, 2007, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
They do it as aprt of the compensation or because it's all they have. The airport staff have no idea about miles or EQM.
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:45 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
I don't know what your location will be in Boston that day, but you may also want to look at the outlying airports (BDL, MHT). If you can get to one of those just as easy (MHT now offers FREE shuttle from the Boston Area), NW will consider rebooking you from one of these airports as well. So if you can find a non-stop (and non-CRJ) flight from Hartford, Manchester or Providence, ask to be moved to that.

I wish I would had known about this site last year, when I really started to travel. ^

The other flights returning from BOS-DTW are in the early morning, so that's not an option but at least I know in the future that I can change my flight.

I love how they put you on a CRJ for the longest part of the flight.

Thanks to everyone for their help, and I'm sure I will have more questions in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.