Search

Kona-ANC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Kona-ANC

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...2/daily52.html

Northwest Airlines' new winter service between Alaska and Kailua-Kona starts on Sunday with the departure of a Boeing 757-300 from Anchorage.

The airline will continue the twice-weekly service, on Wednesdays and Sundays through April 8.

Interesting flight. Anyone flown fron ANC to Hawaii?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:58 am

It would be nice if they had a K fare on this route. Would make a nice MR!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
They've been doing HNL-ANC

Flight 800, I think it is?

KOA-ANC is an interesting new development, though.

Not much use for connecting to anywhere, though... KOA-ANC-AMS over the pole would only be a hair shorter than KOA-SEA-AMS.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:06 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
This would be an interesting award ticket - lower 48 via ANC to Hawaii with a stop in ANC.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
On award tickets, I usually try to book shortest, fastest (unless of course you could snag a free 1 day layover) because no miles are earned. I guess you could also try to get into the oversold situation too. This probably is not an approved routing for award tickets, unless you made it two seperate tickets. Anyone know?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RocketR
It would be nice if they had a K fare on this route. Would make a nice MR!
I say it is definitely would be nice class K fares is cheap price. You can do that for your MR. You will always get on NW all of the times. ^ ^
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: WorldPerks, HHonors
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie

Northwest Airlines' new winter service between Alaska and Kailua-Kona starts on Sunday with the departure of a Boeing 757-300 from Anchorage.

The airline will continue the twice-weekly service, on Wednesdays and Sundays through April 8.

I work in Alaska several times each year. I haven't taken this flight myself, but know quite a few Alaskans who make runs to Hawaii for some sunshine. I was told that back in the boom days of the pipeline, there was a direct flight from Fairbanks to Honolulu (don't know the airline) that folks working for the oil companies would take for a little R&R.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie

I've done it; the 753 isn't exactly comfortable but the flight is timed fairly well for intra-Alaska connections, and seems to be gaining in popularity.

Originally Posted by fti
This would be an interesting award ticket - lower 48 via ANC to Hawaii with a stop in ANC.
When I took that flight the first year it was flown (2005), there was a couple who was doing MSP-ANC-OGG on an award ticket. Although it's definitely the long way around, NW 843 (MSP-ANC) is the plane that does ANC-OGG/KOA/HNL, so it's an easy connection here.

Originally Posted by ocean2731
I work in Alaska several times each year. I haven't taken this flight myself, but know quite a few Alaskans who make runs to Hawaii for some sunshine. I was told that back in the boom days of the pipeline, there was a direct flight from Fairbanks to Honolulu (don't know the airline) that folks working for the oil companies would take for a little R&R.
Several years ago ('03 or '04, I think) Hawaiian Vacations, which is an Anchorage-based travel company that contracts with HA to provide HNL-ANC service on HA's 763's, tried out a once-weekly FAI-OGG flight using a North American Airlines 757. It only lasted one season and hasn't been back since. FAI just isn't big enough to support such a flight; it makes more sense to funnel Hawaiian traffic through ANC.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Isn't ANC a HUGE cargo transit point too? This could possibly be both a pax and cargo route - therefore full planes are not needed too much.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by gldwebs
Isn't ANC a HUGE cargo transit point too? This could possibly be both a pax and cargo route - therefore full planes are not needed too much.
I'm sure that's part of it, but I think the main motivation for this flight was to take a plane that would otherwise be sitting in ANC for about 16 hours and put it in the air to make some money.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
Originally Posted by gldwebs
It is the 3rd largest by volume in the world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.