Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

What are the elite luggage tags for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, UA Premiere Exec, Hertz Gold Plus

I got my gold luggage tags and dutifully put them on my bags. But, I realized after putting my stuff away after my flight that the tags only have my name on them, not my FF number or any other identification. So, what purpose are they supposed to serve? So that we 'elites' can recognize eachother? So the gate agent can remember to apply the 'priority' tags?

Sheila
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sheila-toulouse
I got my gold luggage tags and dutifully put them on my bags. But, I realized after putting my stuff away after my flight that the tags only have my name on them, not my FF number or any other identification. So, what purpose are they supposed to serve? So that we 'elites' can recognize eachother? So the gate agent can remember to apply the 'priority' tags?

Sheila
1. When you are a platinum stuck in coach and you see the gold one sitting in F you have your legitimate right to be pissed.
2. Eye candy!
3. Let the baggage handlers know who to steal from
4. Like uniforms in the military, all silvers must bow down to golds and platinums, offer them their lives, and be willing to take the bullet. Golds must do the same for all platinums.
5. Little RFID chips are hidden inside to see when we fly on other airlines - then all of a sudden our upgrade rates drop.

Gary
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
"When traveling, this distinguishes you as a WorldPerks Platinum Elite
or Gold Elite member."

(2006 Elite Guide)

I don't see much use for the tags. I guess if the GA's see them, that might be a good reminder to put the priority tags. They also make it easier to sport your bags on the belt. That's about it, I guess. I've seen some people put the luggage tags on their carry on, but I find that silly.

PS: I really wish there were a 2007 pdf Elite Guide, just like last year's!
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
They're for Plats to piss off Golds. Plats put an old Silver tag on their carry-on and make sure the Golds in the first couple rows of coach see them. I've heard that some Plats even wear their old Silver tags around their necks on lanyards.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
1. When you are a platinum stuck in coach and you see the gold one sitting in F you have your legitimate right to be pissed.
This one would be funny if it wasn't so true. I was flying DTW-LAX last year on one of those 'B2P' fares that seats directly into FC at booking. As I queued up for FC boarding I had a Plat challenge me as to why I was in line - I take it he spotted my Gold tags. I remarked that there are other ways to get into First besides the UG... like spending the $$$ to sit there. He left me alone after that.

Back OT, I admit I'm guilty of putting "the tags" on my luggage each year. I always figured extra identification (WP + name) couldn't hurt if my bags get misplaced by the airline. At least I know WP has my address on file so they can route them back home, if necessary.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gldwebs
2. Eye candy!
3. Let the baggage handlers know who to steal from
4. Like uniforms in the military, all silvers must bow down to golds and platinums, offer them their lives, and be willing to take the bullet. Golds must do the same for all platinums.
5. Little RFID chips are hidden inside to see when we fly on other airlines - then all of a sudden our upgrade rates drop.

Gary
Great response! A candidate for "funniest of the day."

Strange thing is I've actually thought about #3.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by gldwebs
Problem is, we don't know who the silvers are since they don't receive baggage tags. When we figure it out, there will be a lot of catching up to do.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: NWA Plat/SK G
Originally Posted by florin
"When traveling, this distinguishes you as a WorldPerks Platinum Elite
or Gold Elite member."

(2006 Elite Guide)

I don't see much use for the tags. I guess if the GA's see them, that might be a good reminder to put the priority tags. They also make it easier to sport your bags on the belt. That's about it, I guess. I've seen some people put the luggage tags on their carry on, but I find that silly.

I have my PE tag on my carry on because if I manage to leave it a lounge or somewhere I would at least have a chance to get it back. Had it once on my checked luggage and it lasted two trips and it was gone.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
I had my gold tag on my bag that is sometimes carry-on, sometimes checked. I was in 16C I think on a 752 looking for a place to put my bag and the FA offered to put it in her closet without me even asking. So either the tag actually had a benefit, or the FA was just being nice and would have done it anyways.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 1:51 pm

Question

Silver --> nothing
Gold, Plat --> Elite luggage tags
2% --> 2% luggage or tazer to taze people out of the F seats?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Problem is, we don't know who the silvers are since they don't receive baggage tags. When we figure it out, there will be a lot of catching up to do.
Im pretty sure they dont make silver tags because I could really see a PE get pissed to see a SE in F when he is in Y.

I've also found that having it on my carryon has frequently kept me from being forced to check it.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:17 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
First rule of the 2% Club.... Shhhhhhh (this includes talk about benefits)

Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:25 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
The PDF was eliminated for 2007, but 100% of the information that was previously contained within the PDF is now available by clicking on the name of the benefit within this chart.

Old Feb 13, 2007, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
The PDF was eliminated for 2007, but 100% of the information that was previously contained within the PDF is now available by clicking on the name of the benefit within this chart.
I like the PDF because (1) it's available off line. (Say I'm mid flight and want to look something up - I can open the PDF but can't go to nwa.com). (2) In some ways it is easier to read because it doesn't involve navigating back and forth between pages. (3) Finding a particular item in the document is also a big plus. I can open the PDF and just do a text search as opposed to click on a link - wait, no, this isn't the right section - click on back, then click another link... you get the picture.

I have to disagree with you on "100% of the information". I was actually trying to find the text about the luggage tags and did that was not listed as a benefit in the 2007 online guide. I found it immediately in last year's pdf guide. I think ":-: shiny:-: luggage tags" should be one of the top benefits in that list!

Note to self: write to TTU and suggest having more shiny plastic stuff for elites
Old Feb 13, 2007, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Silver --> nothing
Gold, Plat --> Elite luggage tags
lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.