Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to check status if you know the WP#?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC

Is there some way to check someone's status if you have their WP#? Just wondering if they are silver, gold, plat. etc.

PM me if you'd like to share...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Diannap
Is there some way to check someone's status if you have their WP#? Just wondering if they are silver, gold, plat. etc.

I think you'd need their pin number. Spying, are we?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer

Someone other than you? Sure, you just use your check-in, WorldClub or call-ecnter terminal.

Oh, what? You're not an Northwest employee, and you're just trying to violate someone's privacy? Hmmm... that's another matter.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I think it reads something like N.O.Y.B. If the person wants to tell you, he or she will.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Ugh...its not so nefarious. Everyone breathe...

I have to book tickets for 4 people, and I know some definitely don't have status. So I'd like to book someone who does have status on their same PNR, so they can sit together in the premium seating.

I certainly can ask all 4 people, but thought if there was an wasy way to avoid bugging them with phone calls, I would do that instead.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier, Starwood Platinum or Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Ugh...its not so nefarious. Everyone breathe...

I have to book tickets for 4 people, and I know some definitely don't have status. So I'd like to book someone who does have status on their same PNR, so they can sit together in the premium seating.

I certainly can ask all 4 people, but thought if there was an wasy way to avoid bugging them with phone calls, I would do that instead.
But this story doesn't give everyone, myself included, the opportunity to think of all kinds of scheming reasons why you would want to do this.

Everyone - nothing to see here. Please continue speculating!!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:01 pm

For a number of promotions in the past, NW required nothing but WP #, first name and last name to check on eligibility and pricing.

whitetie is the latest one I am aware of. Just finish the 1st step of Join Now.
It takes 5 seconds.

http://www.whitetie.com/nwa.html

I don't see this is a big deal, what can you do with knowing the elite level anyway?

Perhaps automatic status match from competitors if they use a data mining pod to crawl the data.

Last edited by timrick; Jan 12, 2007 at 3:23 pm Reason: a benefit
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Originally Posted by timrick
For a number of promotions in the past, NW required nothing but WP #, first name and last name to check on eligibility and pricing.

It takes 5 seconds.

I don't see this is a big deal, what can you do with knowing the elite level anyway?

This is yet another security disclosure / data compromise issue....
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:53 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Have you or others joined this whitetie.com? It sounds interesting. 25% bonus miles in B class could be interesting if you have several BUH trips coming up.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MN Traveling Man
But this story doesn't give everyone, myself included, the opportunity to think of all kinds of scheming reasons why you would want to do this.

Everyone - nothing to see here. Please continue speculating!!
I know...so sorry to burst everyone's bubble with the not so exciting truth. Its just too fun to speculate!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

It takes 5 seconds.

Perhaps automatic status match from competitors if they use a data mining pod to crawl the data.
This worked perfectly. Thanks. And to their dismay, not a one of them has status. So sucks to be them... Well, at least I tried!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:10 am

Kind of late to this thread, but there are other ways via nwa.com to do this, as well as finding out the status of someone in a particular promotion, which could lead to some semblance of a flight history among other things.

It's not so much a big security hole as much as it is poor programming practices at nwa.com. But they know about these holes, and have for a while; just haven't gotten around to fixing them, I guess.

If you want to find the holes, it's pretty easy: just go check on your own promotion status and note your address bar location.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:39 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
If you want to find the holes, it's pretty easy: just go check on your own promotion status and note your address bar location.
This is what I got .. https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/wp_viewpromo.pro

I failed to see how can one go about finding out someone else's status using that link.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
This is what I got .. https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/wp_viewpromo.pro

I failed to see how can one go about finding out someone else's status using that link.
Dig deeper.

https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/wp_pointhst.pro?wp_num=<insert WorldPerks number>&name=<insert last name>&reward_bucket=MSAFGP

https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/wp_pointhst.pro?wp_num=<insert WorldPerks number>&name=<insert last name>&reward_bucket=DASHGP

https://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/wp_pointhst.pro?wp_num=<insert WorldPerks number>&name=<insert last name>&reward_bucket=EMILGP

These are just a few of the promos, but as you can see, they tell a lot about the person, such as status, available miles, and flight history. I suppose someone with a criminally clever mind could use this to do harm, but off the top of my head, there's not a whole lot I can think of doing without prying even further.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
These are just a few of the promos, but as you can see, they tell a lot about the person, such as status, available miles, and flight history. I suppose someone with a criminally clever mind could use this to do harm, but off the top of my head, there's not a whole lot I can think of doing without prying even further.
Gosh, didn't realize that nwa.com could be exploited like this. Granted, it was only a year or so ago when one could find an itinerary of a person just by knowing the last name + WPs number. So at least the NW techies are stepping in the right direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.