Possible Merger - NWA & Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2006, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Possible Merger - NWA & Delta?

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...208&ID=6260940
Old Dec 8, 2006, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Northwest Airlines plans to hire a set of bankers to examine "strategic alternatives", increasing speculation that the airline might attempt to mount a competing bid for Delta Air Lines.
Basically getting some legal/financial opinions just in case... Don't want to get caught with your pants down like Delta!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:42 pm

With all due respect to all the NW employees posting on FT, but unfortunately, 2 negatives don't make a positive in the aviation industry.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:49 pm

sorry...duplicate
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
If NWA really wanted to go the merger route, it can take CO with far less trouble than anyone else.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
The FT had some coverage of this

Fairly in-depth, actually. I read it aboard NW 9 NRT-CAN.

Oh, and that's Financial Times, not FlyerTalk. Gotta be specific about which FT!

It'd make for an interesting merger, but I'm not sure whether it'd make sense to have hubs at ATL and MEM and CVG and DTW. Salt Lake would be a nice addition since NW really has nothing in the southwest. But CO's EWR and IAH hubs (and their routes in Latin America, Polynesia and TATL) would be a much more desirable mix IMHO.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 11:49 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by DanTravels
Fairly in-depth, actually. I read it aboard NW 9 NRT-CAN.

Oh, and that's Financial Times, not FlyerTalk. Gotta be specific about which FT!

It'd make for an interesting merger, but I'm not sure whether it'd make sense to have hubs at ATL and MEM and CVG and DTW. Salt Lake would be a nice addition since NW really has nothing in the southwest. But CO's EWR and IAH hubs (and their routes in Latin America, Polynesia and TATL) would be a much more desirable mix IMHO.

It's actually MICROnesia (Guam et al), not polynesia (Tahiti). CO dropped Tahiti when they discontinued Asutralia service in the 90s
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vulcan
It's actually MICROnesia (Guam et al), not polynesia (Tahiti). CO dropped Tahiti when they discontinued Asutralia service in the 90s
My bad... I do know the oxymoronic name "Continental Micronesia" but since they fly out of Honolulu, which is in Polynesia, I slipped up.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:29 pm

I think a DL/NW merger will have some serious regulatory problems. Can you imagine a combination of NW, DL, AF, and KL? Under one agreement you would have a little less than half of the US to pacific business and the majority of the transatlantic market. The pricing power of that entity would be amazing.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by humanoid94
I think a DL/NW merger will have some serious regulatory problems.
That's probably the least worrying part at the moment. See here.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by DanTravels
But CO's EWR and IAH hubs (and their routes in Latin America, Polynesia and TATL) would be a much more desirable mix IMHO.
Seconded. Moreover, ATL is simply a mess. I flew through there once and swore I'd never do it again unless I absolutely had to.

CO's Europe routes from EWR would be a wonderful boon, not to mention all those BF-configured 772s, 764s, 762s, and 752s. But with CO operating those routes and A/C already, it would make a lot more financial sense to simply code-share. (Besides, there's almost no fleet commonality between NW and CO.) NW's strength has long been the upper Midwest and Asia. If they can grow their Asia services and perhaps expand their East Coast presence - BOS seems to be slowly becoming a "focus city" - they'll be in a stronger position without sharing DL's over-expansion growing pains.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by hoyateach
...and perhaps expand their East Coast presence - BOS seems to be slowly becoming a "focus city" - they'll be in a stronger position without sharing DL's over-expansion growing pains.
Not sure why they'd want to do that. DTW is close enough to the East Coast that it should suffice for connections. If you're thinking about the BOS-Europe slots opening up this spring/summer, I think it's simply O/D demand that is causing BOS to be used, not really being a focus city. BOS has been a crew base for a long time and I think that's about as "focused" as NW is going to get with BOS for a while. Also, BOS is already a US focus city, so I'm not sure NW would like to "officially" make it a focus city of theirs.

I would look for NW to do something out west in the next 12-18 months, or as soon as they start to get a decent number of their new EMBs and CRJs in operation.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
DTW is close enough to the East Coast that it should suffice for connections.
Spoken like someone who doesn't live on the East Coast, and for whom DTW is more or less "on the way to" Europe. I grew up near PHL, and looking at there, EWR and IAD, routing through DTW means on average about 60-90 minutes more flying time than routing through BOS would. I don't think most folks will want to fly "west" to go "east."

(Admittedly, I now live in ITO and many eastbound trips start for me with a westbound hop to HNL.)
Old Dec 9, 2006, 7:46 pm

I am for this merger. Think this opens up a great deat of possibilities for me and they places I travel.

rather see a CO NW merger but that seems quite unlikely...
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by otralot
rather see a CO NW merger but that seems quite unlikely...
I personally would not. While CO is a great airline, COEX is not. And, I don't want to spend the rest of my days figuring out ways to avoid RJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.