Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Possible to get non elite an exit row at booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE

I tried to search this but couldn't find anything on this. I am booking an award ticket for a friend that does not have elite status with NWA and would like to try to get them into an exit row. Is this possible? I know I can book 2 seats together and get us both in the exit row but can I then cancel just my portion of the ticket and let the other person keep their seat? Any other suggestions prior to my simply requesting through the platinum/gold line? Also, the person resides in Korea. I recall a promotion for automatic upgrade to silver for customers in asia. Is this still available and was it strictly targeted to certain people or is this still possible?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
My understanding is that if you as elite give up your premium/exit seat, the non-elite person next to you will automatically be moved to a non-premium seat.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by trader61
I am booking an award ticket for a friend that does not have elite status with NWA and would like to try to get them into an exit row. Is this possible? I know I can book 2 seats together and get us both in the exit row but can I then cancel just my portion of the ticket and let the other person keep their seat?
Above poster is correct. NW computers are sophisticated enough to catch when the elite/premium passenger is not sitting next to his/her companion any more and will bump the non-elite/premium pax back out of the premium seating assignment.
Any other suggestions prior to my simply requesting through the platinum/gold line? Also, the person resides in Korea. I recall a promotion for automatic upgrade to silver for customers in asia. Is this still available and was it strictly targeted to certain people or is this still possible?
That promotion is no longer available. It's usually a fall thing, for the slow fall travel period.

Your friend might have better luck at OLCI; otherwise, buy a premium fare.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: NW Silver Elite, Starwood Gold Elite
I tried to search this but couldn't find anything on this. I am booking an award ticket for a friend that does not have elite status with NWA and would like to try to get them into an exit row. Is this possible? I know I can book 2 seats together and get us both in the exit row but can I then cancel just my portion of the ticket and let the other person keep their seat? Any other suggestions prior to my simply requesting through the platinum/gold line?
Requesting through the Elite line won't (or at least probably won't) work. When I was Gold, I tried to book an award ticket for someone else (non-Elite) with my miles and get her into an exit row seat. In essence, I was told that the exit-row benefit was personal to me as an Elite, and not transferrable.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by deephouse
Requesting through the Elite line won't (or at least probably won't) work. When I was Gold, I tried to book an award ticket for someone else (non-Elite) with my miles and get her into an exit row seat. In essence, I was told that the exit-row benefit was personal to me as an Elite, and not transferrable.

I've tried it as a PE and it has worked twice. You have nothing to lose by calling.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:33 pm

Although it won't get your friend an exit row seat at booking, within 24 hr of the flight, there's always Coach Choice if you don't mind paying for it.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
I was rejected by the elite line 4 times. I suspect that since it's an international flight, the seats are tougher to give out in this way.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Not exactly like the above, but Mrs. TommyD and I are flying on separate PNRs next month, and I just booked the tickets on-line (we are flying together outbound, but different flights on the return).

On-line there wasn't any way for me to get her an exit row seat, but of course I could get one. Called the Elite line and was told: "I can't make the seat assignment change for you, but I can get it done." I was put on hold for a couple of minutes, and now everthing is good (she's next to me in 15a/b).

This year I've also booked award tickets for others (when I was not flying). In both cases I was able to get them exit rows without any problem on-line (one booked on DL metal with NW miles, one on DL metal with DL miles [burning some that were about to expire--it's been a while on DL]).

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.