Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Total General Boarding - new directive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total General Boarding - new directive?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2006, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by yogimax
I'll double - ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ . If NW enforced the one carry-on of reasonable size limitation, we wouldn't be having this debate
Oh, the irony. Picked up an in-law at the airport today, and they checked a bag on the ORD-DTW flight. Bags didn't start coming out the turnstile until about 45 minutes after the plane made it to the gate.

Why check, when you have to wait 45 minutes for the bags to start to come off the turnstile? I never check bags, but average one rolling laptop bag that fits under the seat in front of me (no check-in, no overhead). I'm an uninvolved outsider in this debate, but I sure can understand not wanting to check bags under these conditions.

Steve B.
Old May 15, 2006, 3:06 pm

I was on a NW 744 at NRT that was loaded in about 10 minutes with a cattle call, 100% load factor. (Trying to get out before the 11 PM curfew at NRT). Well motivated people can do it.
Old May 15, 2006, 3:11 pm

Don't they legally have to leave the flights open until 10 mins prior to departure? What's the point of herding a whole plane on in 10 minutes if they have to wait 20 more, onboard, before they can push back?
Old May 15, 2006, 3:43 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by sbagdon
I never check bags, but average one rolling laptop bag that fits under the seat in front of me (no check-in, no overhead). I'm an uninvolved outsider in this debate, but I sure can understand not wanting to check bags under these conditions.
Wow, do you also fit in clothing for 2-3 days in the same bag ???? I can't imagine how you could use NO overhead and still have ample clothing in your bag (and a computer); even if it was only a one or two day trip..... but, I digress... I guess I just spend too much time shopping at Neiman Marcus....
Old May 15, 2006, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Wow, do you also fit in clothing for 2-3 days in the same bag ???? I can't imagine how you could use NO overhead and still have ample clothing in your bag (and a computer); even if it was only a one or two day trip..... but, I digress... I guess I just spend too much time shopping at Neiman Marcus....
Lots and lots of t-shirts...

Steve B.
Old May 15, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: NW Plat, DL Silver
Yesterday (5/14/06) NW250 SEA>DTW, cattle call occured after F and Elite. I was still in the boarding area because the GA had called my name and told me to wait for the UG (which I did get!!). I was shocked to hear the call and then to see the chaos that ensued on this very, very long 753. I thought it was a fluke, but maybe not?
Old May 15, 2006, 3:53 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Lots and lots of t-shirts...
I repeat my WOW;
I couldn't do a two day leisure trip or a two day business trip with just t-shirts... Not so sure if I am impressed or shocked
Old May 15, 2006, 4:08 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Of all the schemes to speed up boarding, the zone systems, DL, UA, US/HP all use really seem to work the best and cause the least confusion. I suppose if I was part of general boarding, I would like the elimination of boarding by rows as I'm pretty good at sliding my way to the front of the line.
Old May 15, 2006, 6:35 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
NW's new name: FUBAR airlines.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:21 pm

Today, NW 3417, delayed boarding by 7 minutes due to late arriving plane.

FC is called. I am one of the last FC pax to board. Immediately following me is a stream that doesn't end until the door is shut. No pre-flight drink, although orders for the future in-flight drink were taken. FA literally screaming over the PA in her TN accent at the pax to stow everything underneath their seats, pax wading back upstream to gate check, including one family from the last row, and some pax were trying to carry-on 3-4 checkable-sized items. I'm surprised the FAs didn't blow their tops. And luckily this was only an ARJ; imagine the 753...

It appears that cattle call was used on this flight, and from my amateur perspective from 4D, it created one of the top 3 most hassled boardings I've ever experienced on NW. Again, this was only on an ARJ.

To top it off, we arrived 1 minute early. Seems like a lot of effort for little gains.
Old May 15, 2006, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Boarding Tests/General Boarding

I asked NW today to explain more about the General Boarding and whether there arte any other ongoing tests related to baording.

Most importantly to the Worldperks Marketing team is that the Elite members are protected and that they are able to board without difficulty during the entire boarding process.

Other skyteam partner boarding procedures such as "Elite Access" boarding through a 2nd line for "Elites Only" is being considered and may be tested in certain markets.

The goal of the new general boarding and other test boarding procedures is to improve the on-time departure results without inconveniencing the loyal Elite pax.

This entire test is being carefully observed by the WP marketing team and they will be sure to protect the elites.

RC
Old May 15, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
I asked NW today to explain more about the General Boarding and whether there arte any other ongoing tests related to baording.

Most importantly to the Worldperks Marketing team is that the Elite members are protected and that they are able to board without difficulty during the entire boarding process.

Other skyteam partner boarding procedures such as "Elite Access" boarding through a 2nd line for "Elites Only" is being considered and may be tested in certain markets.

The goal of the new general boarding and other test boarding procedures is to improve the on-time departure results without inconveniencing the loyal Elite pax.

This entire test is being carefully observed by the WP marketing team and they will be sure to protect the elites.

RC
I'm sorry but if NW really wants to "protect" Elites from these experiments they should:
1. Make it a firm policy that GA's ALWAYS call Elite boarding. I still see GA's skip Elite boarding. Said policy should require disciplinary action for any GA that skips Elite boarding.
2. Implement some version of COs Elite Access line. Otherwise Elites that can't make the "30 minute window"** due to a tight connection, etc. will get caught in the stampede. The Elite Access Line at CO makes sure that Elites can always filter in even if they are running late.

** Rough guess of course - I'm sure we've all had experiences rushing to the gate to make sure we get to the Elite window only to end up playing "gate lice" for 20 minutes, etc.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
WP Marketing is monitoring the new boarding (to make sure it works correctly)

I think the Elite's interest in pre-boarding as well as improving the on-time departure numbers are being closely monitored.

lets give NW the benefit of the doubt on this.

RC

Originally Posted by pmaddock
I'm sorry but if NW really wants to "protect" Elites from these experiments they should:
1. Make it a firm policy that GA's ALWAYS call Elite boarding. I still see GA's skip Elite boarding. Said policy should require disciplinary action for any GA that skips Elite boarding.
2. Implement some version of COs Elite Access line. Otherwise Elites that can't make the "30 minute window"** due to a tight connection, etc. will get caught in the stampede. The Elite Access Line at CO makes sure that Elites can always filter in even if they are running late.

** Rough guess of course - I'm sure we've all had experiences rushing to the gate to make sure we get to the Elite window only to end up playing "gate lice" for 20 minutes, etc.
Old May 16, 2006, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Especially because it is critical that we not be inconvenienced in our hurry to get to our un-choice seats.

^ ^ ^

But they have already been well tested. Just visit any airport that CO serves. This is an absolute no-brainer move. For once, copy another carrier's shrewd innovation. Don't be the trend setter in bass ackwardness.

Perfectly legitimate and fine objective. Although I remain skeptical that chaos -- err . . . random -- boarding will facilitate better on time performance.

Well, then, we have nothing to fear. We all know NW's marketing department is brilliant in catering to us elites. When have they ever let us down?

Old May 16, 2006, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
lets give NW the benefit of the doubt on this.
Gee, I didn't see that one coming.

With all due respect, Radiocycle, why do we always give NW the benefit of the doubt?

I'm not one to assume the worst. NW has many good things going for it: complimentary upgrades, generous mileage bonuses, excellent in-flight entertainment on the 330s, and free booze in coach across one of the world's oceans. But only the most jaded NW loyalist would always give NW the benefit of the doubt given its recent track record of ill conceived moves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.