Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

If you could add one destination for NWA (not codeshare)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA

What would it be?

International:
For me, a nonstop DTW-GVA flight.

Domestic:
A later MEM-ATL flight on the weekends.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Int: ROM (sometimes seasonal?)
Dom: SNA (hate LAX)

Steve B.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:58 am

I'd add a route, not a destination.

MSP-PEK 1x daily.

(otherwise, reinstate the old MSP-HKG 1x daily)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Still would like to the routes listed here
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
I'd love to see CEB pop up in NW's route network...
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Bring back the GSP-MSP nonstop!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
As others stated, it would be nice if they just restored some of their previous non-stops like PEK, FCO, and HKG. For new options I would choose SYD and MEL, no question. (Didn't NW offer service to Australia once upon a time?)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hertz 5*
There is probably zero demand for it, but I fly MSP-BHM at least once a month. There used to be a nonstop, but it was a CRJ, so I guess it is better to just fly mainline jets through MEM or DTW. An A319 or even DC9-30 MSP-BHM nonstop would be nice for me though
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:10 am

Yes, NW at one time served Australia. Perhaps when the 787 comes online we will see service again. (although it will likely have to be one stop since MSP-SYD is slightly outside of the 787's range)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Yes, NW at one time served Australia. Perhaps when the 787 comes online we will see service again. (although it will likely have to be one stop since MSP-SYD is slightly outside of the 787's range)
Would a 787 reach Auckland from MSP? I imigine that the stop would be Narita, but what about Manila? Is there any airline that flys non stop from the US to Manila?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
Would a 787 reach Auckland from MSP? I imigine that the stop would be Narita, but what about Manila? Is there any airline that flys non stop from the US to Manila?
I believe MSP-AKL is just inside the range for the 787's operating distance nonstop. I'd love to see MSP-AKL-SYD/MEL/SIN/KUL on the new 787.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:16 am
mdb

Dtw-nce

A pipe-dream, but it would make my life much easier.....
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Mine would be a route. I can't fly south from FL like to puerto rico, grand cayman, jamaica etc. It won't (even though I can schedule it) fly me to dtw or mem to connect. NWA says they don't price those routes I can only do it by booking 2 seperate tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I believe MSP-AKL is just inside the range for the 787's operating distance nonstop. I'd love to see MSP-AKL-SYD/MEL/SIN/KUL on the new 787.
Actually, just checked the numbers. NW has ordered 18 787-8s. Boeing claims the range of the 787-8 is 8000-8500nm. So, using these numbers, I calculated possible nonstop routes from MSP:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=M...avy&MAP-STYLE=

MSP-AKL
MSP-SYD
MSP-SIN

All of these are within the low-end estimate of Boeing of 8000nm, so all could be nonstop ex-MSP. Now, will NW actually fly these routes? Doubtful. But it's nice to know it's technically possible. Note that the only nonstop route on the 787-8 ex-DTW could be is DTW-AKL.

More international routes from MSP, please.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:28 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
The problem with a lot of these long distance runs (to AKL/SYD etc.) is that they take more than one plane to operate, meaning extensive ground (down time) at the destination. The CO nonstop EWR-HKG sits in HKG for about 20 hours doing nothing. This is clearly not a good use of a $250 million airplane!

At the Houston DO, CO execs stated that this was an important consideration in picking routes for their 787s. They admitted IAH-Asia was their first choice, but the down time was a very big issure and would have a big part in their final allocation of the new planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.