Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staying with NW...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Staying with NW...

Well I guess I'm the contrarian. Yeah, I think it's tacky to charge elites, but I'm not that put out... and I figure with all of you fleeing my upgrade percentage will go through the roof. (It's close to the roof already).

So I bought a ticket yestreday. Impact of Coach Choice was pretty small: on each of two A320 flights, there were only six seats allocated (yes, four in the exit row) and on a 752 and 753 only two seats each -- although I'll guess on one there might have been more in exitr row if they hadn't already been selected.

I picked the seats I normally pick, and figure I'll be in F anyway.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Well I guess I'm the contrarian. Yeah, I think it's tacky to charge elites, but I'm not that put out... and I figure with all of you fleeing my upgrade percentage will go through the roof. (It's close to the roof already).

So I bought a ticket yestreday. Impact of Coach Choice was pretty small: on each of two A320 flights, there were only six seats allocated (yes, four in the exit row) and on a 752 and 753 only two seats each -- although I'll guess on one there might have been more in exitr row if they hadn't already been selected.

I'm with you...as a silver though I am worried but I'm taking a wait and see approach
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Silver, UA Premier, National Executive, Hilton Gold
As a Silver, soon to be Gold, I'll be sticking around as well. I have a number of trips during April and May so we'll see what the impact will be.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
I'm staying too (for now)

My reasons:

1) I'm 100% on upgrades so far this year (95+% last year)
2) Airlines I would switch to (AA/UA) fly mostly regional jets out of MKE.
3) Less than 10% of my trips are international, so the easier upgrades for these trips aren't as important to me as domestic upgrades.
4) I get a lot of use out of the club in MKE, which I like and is especially important to Mrs TommyD when we travel together (not to mention HER upgrades)

Of course, if the NW product continues to erode . . .

Last edited by TommyD2; Mar 23, 2006 at 10:26 am Reason: Added #4
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:24 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Good luck!

However, if high-dollar people continue to bolt, there won't be any airline left for those upgrades...

I hope NW comes to its senses before that happens, but if they don't, then Chapter 7 will be something NW has earned.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I am waiting also....I think that NW will cave on Crap Choice for Elites.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
I am also staying. Yes I do not bring in $$$$$ to NWA, but my travel plus my family of 5, and I usually bring others along with me would make some impact.

I like NWA. Call me crazy, but I have never had a really bad experience with them? Mabye I am just lucky, mabye I am only 5'10'' so the seats are still ok with me? Mabye I simply like DTW and MSP? I like the red tail.

I would rather go through DTW than ORD any day of the week.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/Million Miler; Mileage Plus Platinum; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf

I actually perfer the Window seat, but am annoyed at NWA for not taking care of the elites. Most people that are Gold and Platinum "invest" enough in NWA that they should not be nickel and dimed for these things. I think that Coach Choice is a great idea for the average travler.. and quite possibly for Silver Elites..
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:38 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Originally Posted by mikey1003
I am waiting also....I think that NW will cave on Crap Choice for Elites.
I believe that also. I heard talk on the DL board that DL did something screwy with their Elites a while back, and they backed off....
Old Mar 23, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM, National Emerald Club, Hilton Gold
As much as I understand the angst and disappointment in the new CoachChoice seating and not making upper elites exempt from those charges. I, myself, am sticking with them. I have been a Red Tailer for 35 out of my 35 years of life and as easy as it would be to change airlines here in Chicago, I just can't bring myself to changing. I still am able to pick my preferred seating without extra charges. I just wish that they would look into some international upgrades for elite members. I honestly don't think it would devalue WBC that much!!

NWA has been good to me and my family 95% of the time. No one is perfect and every airline has their good and bad, but NW still offers things I like and most of the time does me right and if they don't initially they take the time to listen to what i have to say and at least respond to my thoughts. They may not agree with them all but they at least listen. I can't say the same thing about some of the other airlines I have flown.

WildcatJer
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by TommyD2
My reasons:

1) I'm 100% on upgrades so far this year (95+% last year)
2) Airlines I would switch to (AA/UA) fly mostly regional jets out of MKE.
3) Less than 10% of my trips are international, so the easier upgrades for these trips aren't as important to me as domestic upgrades.
4) I get a lot of use out of the club in MKE, which I like and is especially important to Mrs TommyD when we travel together (not to mention HER upgrades)

Of course, if the NW product continues to erode . . .
I'm not bolting from NWA any time soon, but I have my reasons to stay:

1) hub city, lots of direct flights
2) family vacations with non-stop flights
3) business trips with non-stop flights
4) frequent F upgrades, even as Silver
5) companion upgrades, when I make Gold
6) very generous with miles (ok, don't even start on PerkSaver)
7) still have good oppurtunity for 6-segment SRs
8) still have good oppurtunity for 2/3-segment red-eye MRs
9) WC (one day, but not today...)
10) Knowing the system, and how to work it to my advantage

Steve B.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I want to leave NW, but am waiting a bit to see what happens. I've already been comped over to US Air, so if NW goes under, I'll have at least some sort of back-up plan.

Otherwise, these next few months will be very telling about whether I'm still with NW by the end of the year. I know I don't bring in big money to NW, but how they handle this Coach Choice program at the end of this trail period will determine whether I stay or not. If not, I'll be flying more to DFW/ORD/LAX and less to MEM/DTW/MSP...
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
NW provides reliable service on many routes I fly - That's reason enough to continue

NW has and continues to fly to the destinations I fly to.

That is the core reason I fly NW. The additional Worldperk benefits are just gravy. Maybe we lost a little, but heck, I really don't have anything to complain about.

RC
Old Mar 23, 2006, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gsupstate
I believe that also. I heard talk on the DL board that DL did something screwy with their Elites a while back, and they backed off....
www.saveskymiles.com

We got almost everything back. I left because we didn't get segment credit back.

You can also do a saveskymiles or ssm search over at DL for more info
Old Mar 23, 2006, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
I'm staying

On NW, I spent over 17k last year, for .16 per mile all domestic. I don't know if I'm a big spender for them or not, but I like my upgrade percentage (over 96% last year, 100% this year).

I'm plat for life with AA, but only fly them when NW isn't available or not in the market. Upgrades come out of my pocket and AA still has the "upgrade sticker" thing unless booking full coach, and their domestic FC service is no better than NW on the ships I end up on (mostly Mad Dog 80s). I'd love to see NW do a lifetime status like AA.

The staff here in BNA with NW sees me frequently enough to address me by name and are very friendly to all from what I've seen. Wouldn't hurt my feelings any to see some of the "senior mamas" on board retire and get some new blood that is more service oriented, but that holds true for AA, DL, CO, UA also from what I've seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.