Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Seething Anger From Some NWA Employees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff

It's there, it's in your face, so how do you deal with it? Yes, they got a bad deal. I wouldn't stand for a 39% cut, I would be one cranky dog. But then I didn't choose a job dealing with the public.

I dealt with a Ticket Agent yesterday who was visibly angry and made no attempt to hide it. She was actually looking for a confrontation. I finished with our business and got out of her line of sight ASAP. (Well, I did inquire about any seat change hoping for a battlefield upgrade, but that's where the seething escalated.)

Is this just the way it is and the way it's going to be? Before I get flamed, the number of professionals far outweighed the aforementioned TA in my NW experience yesterday. Kudos to them for putting on that smiling face and getting on with life. I just don't want to deal with angry, bitter people on the front line of customer service. That doesn't mean I don't understand their anger, I just don't want it taken out on me.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I'm sure there are some (and I would be seething).

However, YMMV. I flew NW over the weekend, with a lot of contact -- plat line, then agent at DCA for rebooking, agent checkin at HNL, then gate agents and F/As for three flights. And they were all totally nice and helpful.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
That employee is foolish to show their anger--justified or not--to their customers. There are plenty of people just waiting to take her place. I just ran into a furloughed Mesaba FA in the grocery store. She had 9 years on the job and can't figure out what to do now. I'd rather comfort someone sad (as much as one can do that), than interact with an angry employee. I'm sure my FA friend would love to have any NW job right now.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL/NW, Proud Sky Club Member
I think the employees are going through the 5 stages of grief

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

Most I have come across are stuck between anger and depression.. but they will either get to the acceptance phase or be so miserable they will find another job... so it will get better with time
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
It's there, it's in your face, so how do you deal with it? Yes, they got a bad deal. I wouldn't stand for a 39% cut, I would be one cranky dog. But then I didn't choose a job dealing with the public.

I dealt with a Ticket Agent yesterday who was visibly angry and made no attempt to hide it. She was actually looking for a confrontation. I finished with our business and got out of her line of sight ASAP. (Well, I did inquire about any seat change hoping for a battlefield upgrade, but that's where the seething escalated.)

Is this just the way it is and the way it's going to be? Before I get flamed, the number of professionals far outweighed the aforementioned TA in my NW experience yesterday. Kudos to them for putting on that smiling face and getting on with life. I just don't want to deal with angry, bitter people on the front line of customer service. That doesn't mean I don't understand their anger, I just don't want it taken out on me.
I've experienced this once in the past 4 months and because it was so over the top I fired an email off to Andrew Roberts who responded within a few hours but for the most part I've experienced the exact opposite, sure they (the employees) are concerned but they are committed and their service has reached new heights (I have shot off a few positive emails via nwa.com)...best thing to do when you find a bad apple is report it, they are not helping NWA
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I say give them a break. They're just hurting their own peace by being angry. Do your part and just be a smiling customer.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Use the Talk to Us link to report it. They are the exception rather than the rule.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I have found the NWA GA's and FA's very professional and pleasant

I think the NW frontline employees generally maintain a professional and pleasant demeanor. Of course there may be exceptions, but I have not run into any in 2006.

RC
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Rather than reporting the employee immediately, please try to put yourself in their position. I guess that I would be quite upset at taking a 40% paycut. It would take me some time to find another job. Please have some compassion and cut them some slack this time. Complaints and reprimands are just not going to help right now!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by formeraa
Rather than reporting the employee immediately, please try to put yourself in their position. I guess that I would be quite upset at taking a 40% paycut. It would take me some time to find another job. Please have some compassion and cut them some slack this time. Complaints and reprimands are just not going to help right now!
There's absolutely no excuse for poor performance.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, NW/DL 2MM
I've been very pleasantly surprised the past few weeks. Hardly a scientific sampling, but the FAs on the dozen flights I've taken have been courteous, pleasant, and good humored. I think they're holding up better than I might have under the circumstances.

On today's flight from SFO, the FA greeted us by name (in FC) and took time to thank us for our business like she really meant it. The connecting flight had two of the more jovial FAs that I've seen in awhile. I admire their spirit.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:44 pm

Text Deleted

Radiocyccle
NWA Moderator

Last edited by Radiocycle; Mar 11, 2006 at 7:56 am Reason: OffTopic Rant
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
my recent experience...

Recent flight with my family, DTW-FLL we received exceptional service upon check-in at curb in DTW from Janet. So much so that my oldest (who is only 3) remembered her name for several days.
On the flight one of the FAs went out of her way to be very friendly to our children as well as myself and my wife.

Flight back, received very friendly and helpful service from another NW skycap at curb in FLL.

I noticed a couple employees who did not smile but there were just as many, if not more who were smiling as they normally do.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:00 pm

If you feel the need to fire off a complaint, make sure that you are equally quick to send notes complimenting employees who are doing a great job. If the intention of a complaint is to get the bad apples fired or reassigned to a less public position, it's only fair to help the great employees keep their jobs (I know with 39% reduced pay, but...) and have opportunities for advancement.
Old Mar 8, 2006, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Start by getting your facts straight, PineyBob. The ticket agents are only looking 11.5% cuts.

And far as I'm concerned, the one's who remain employed should be the ones who deal nicely with the customers.

Originally Posted by PineyBob
Try a 39% wage cut on in your life. Does that give anyone in Customer Service an excuse to treat you poorly? NO! it doesn't! What it does do is give them a reason which is decidedly different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.