Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW Union/Mgmt Labor Master Thread (merged topics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NW Union/Mgmt Labor Master Thread (merged topics)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PineyBob
... if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.
Better to let the workers die on their feet than live on their knees under the arrogant thumb of Neil Cohen & Doug Steenland.
Umm... Charlie? Charlie Bryan, is that you?

This "full pay to the last day" rhetoric -- Bryan was head of the machinists' union, I think -- is what destroyed Eastern Airlines. Yes, Frank Lorenzo was no bowl of puppies. But at the end of the day the union put him and Frank Borman, who was a decent guy, out of business. Then those proud unionized professionals went to work parking cars and pumping gas.

These guys remind me of the crazy Curtis LeMay-era Pentagon generals who would game "winnable" nuclear wars, or say Armageddon was preferable to living under the Soviet thumb, etc.

If Northwest is taken down, everybody loses. But the execs and passengers will go elsewhere. The employees lose the most. They'll have plenty of time to reminisce about what the glorious, defiant pose they struck back at NW while they're wearing paper hats at the drive-through window.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by Funkywabit
I dont think you will hear the words "Hooray" in MSP or DTW from anyone
You will not hear it in Memphis either!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I may be thinking of something else here, but I thought that there had to be a 30 day "cooling off" period after the decision to strike was made. Is that not the case?
peace,
~Ben~
The right to self-help, should it be deemed to exist from an 1113(c) abrogation, could be exercised immediately.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
CO does not get paid until travel is actually provided.
I asked this question several months ago and got no answer.
Just what is the procedure for one airline to pay another for an award ticket? Cash? Or sort of like a ledger with debit and recievables between airlines?
Dave
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I may be thinking of something else here, but I thought that there had to be a 30 day "cooling off" period after the decision to strike was made. Is that not the case?
that only applies to regular contract negotiations, "Section 6" in the parlance of the Railway Labor Act, which details very specific procedures and coolings off, ultimately providing for the possibility of Congress imposing a contract as a last resort.

When not in Section 6, both sides are expected to maintain the "status quo". Imposition of a "major" change (such as, say, complete abrogation of the contract!) opens the doors to immediate self-help.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:17 pm
Original Member

I don't know if this means anything as far as the possible strike goes, but here's something I found yesterday:

On Northwest, the cheapest fare I could find PIT-VPS, changing in MEM was over $700. Same today, I think it was around $746 for the times I needed.

Delta had very, closely similar, schedule. Cot was about $380.

Could the looming possibility of a strike have raised NW's fares so much?

I booked the Delta ticket, just on cost. But now I'm wondering: Did I just dodge a bullet? I do love Northwest, so I certainly hope not!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If they were seeing a drop in advance bookings due to strike fears you'd think they'd be lowering fares to attract business, not doubling them.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
Umm... Charlie? Charlie Bryan, is that you?

This "full pay to the last day" rhetoric -- Bryan was head of the machinists' union, I think -- is what destroyed Eastern Airlines. Yes, Frank Lorenzo was no bowl of puppies. But at the end of the day the union put him and Frank Borman, who was a decent guy, out of business. Then those proud unionized professionals went to work parking cars and pumping gas.
Eastern Failed due to lack of leadership!! When you push a workforce to the point that a Charlie Bryan surfaces the issue isn't the union it's the Management of the company. Management sets the tone of an organization. I you alienate your workers to the point that they would rather pump gass then kneel at the bosses feet then only Management can be at fault.

No one that I know is saying full pay to last day. They have agreed to significant concessions already.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
But how likely is a spring strike? Wouldn't the pilots wait until closer to the busy summer season to hold NW feet to the proverbial fire?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by tcook052
But how likely is a spring strike? Wouldn't the pilots wait until closer to the busy summer season to hold NW feet to the proverbial fire?
Do you let your enemy get stronger and better prepare for battle or strike them when they are weakest?

I'd shed no tears if NW were to go under - MSP & DTW may see worse international service, but domestic rates and service would become much more competitive. Overall this would probably better local economies more than enough to compensate for the loss of headquarters. Just $.02
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by cj001f
Do you let your enemy get stronger and better prepare for battle or strike them when they are weakest?
You talking tactical wheras I'm thinking strategic.

I'd shed no tears if NW were to go under
I would.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
My understanding of things

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
So getting back to the point of the OP -- is March 4 the earliest likely date of a formal pilots' strike, if there is one? Or is it sooner, as soon as February 17, assuming a vote is underway? Or not?

I'm trying to advise co-workers on whether or not to book tickets on NWA right now. While the mud-slinging and general vitriol about NW's management is amusing, I'm kinda interested in the topic this thread is ostensibly about.
My understanding of the timeline is this:

On Feb 17, the Judge will issue his decision. This may be delayed if the parties agree to a delay. ALPA and NWA management are in daily negociations, and if there is hope of a settlement, they both may request a delay.

At any time, the MEC Chairman can call for a strike ballot. He has not do so as of Feb 9, and he can do this today if he so chooses, but it my understanding that this will not be done until Feb 17, at the earliest.

ALPA by-laws require a 15 day period for this balloting, and a strike cannot be authorized until this balloting is completed.

If the Judge abrogates the contract on Feb 17, and if the MEC Chairman calls for a strike ballot on that date, the earliest a strike could occur would be Mar 4. This does not mean a strike will happen, it means that is the earliest a strike could occur.

A strike authorization vote, IMHO, is like pulling the safety pin on a grenade. It does not mean it will be used, but once pulled, it can be used. Once authorized by the balloting process, it is up to the MEC to call for the actual strike. However, even with a strike authorization, the MEC may want to continue to negociate.

The way I read all of this, the earliest for any sort of cessation of service would be Mar 4.

Last edited by Donna49; Feb 9, 2006 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Donna49
My understanding of the timeline is this:

On Feb 17, the Judge will issue his decision. This may be delayed if the parties agree to a delay. ALPA and NWA management are in daily negociations, and if there is hope of a settlement, they both may request a delay.

At any time, the MEC Chairman can call for a strike ballot. He has not do so as of Feb 9, and he can do this today if he so chooses, but it my understanding that this will not be done until Feb 17, at the earliest.

ALPA by-laws require a 15 day period for this balloting, and a strike cannot be authorized until this balloting is completed.

If the Judge abrogates the contract on Feb 17, and if the MEC Chairman calls for a strike ballot on that date, the earliest a strike could occur would be Mar 4. This does not mean a strike will happen, it means that is the earliest a strike could occur.

A strike authorization vote, IMHO, is like pulling the safety pin on a grenade. It does not mean it will be used, but once pulled, it can be used. Once authorized by the balloting process, it is up to the MEC to call for the actual strike. However, even with a strike authorization, the MEC may want to continue to negociate.

The way I read all of this, the earliest for any sort of cessation of service would be Mar 4.
Imay get stuck in europe BTW we all remember the mech strike. There was quite a bit of "workages" before the offical strike date. TIC TIC TIC
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Originally Posted by rwill11
Imay get stuck in europe
I hope to get stuck in Europe as I'm going there to ice fish. I just hope my March 8th flight out of MSP actually goes!
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rwill11
Imay get stuck in europe BTW we all remember the mech strike. There was quite a bit of "workages" before the offical strike date. TIC TIC TIC
And delays actually were reduced once the mechanics "strike" officially started.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.